Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Flowers, a little thief, and a graduate

celeste/NH
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Rose season is underway and all the rain lately means weeds everywhere so I've been super-busy. Not to mention my youngest, Tiffany, had her h.s. graduation over the weekend. I do have scapes coming along, with the promise of much-earlier-than-normal blooms so bear with me while I await daylily season...thought you might enjoy these photos in the meantime.

Celeste

This daylily is in just about every garden around here.

It is the earliest to bloom and smells like honeysuckle.

I don't know the name but it heralds the start of summer here.

The reliable rugosas smell so good....

Rugosas and explorer roses beginning the show....

left rose border is starting up....

old garden roses are about 2 wks. earlier than normal

'John Hopper'

'Marchesa Boccella'

'Yolande d'Aragon'

This little chipmunk turned out to b a little 'rose thief'.

I didn't know that they ATE roses until I saw him peek his little head out of the rock wall, grap ahold of one of the rugosas, and start nibbling away. It's ok, since I have lots of roses...I won't miss a few & he's a cutie.

look at him standing on his hind legs to get the bloom...

the Knockout roses are putting on a show

My beautiful Tiffany at her graduation this weekend...

Comments (14)

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Congrats to your graduate, an exciting day for her!
    I love your roses, they are just beautiful, I envy you so much for being able to grow them. The chipmunk is so cute. I have some here. I had thought I had voles or moles, but kept wondering how such tiny little creatures could make these massive tunnels everywhere. I did kill some moles last fall, so I know I have a few of those. Actually saw the culprit digging up the end of their tunnel though, so I know they belong to the chipmunks. Chip & dale may become a problem. So far-knock on wood-don't seem to have really bothered the daylilies or other bulbs I have, except that they burrow & dislodge some plants. Honestly, I was starting to think I had a groundhog, the tunnels were so big :)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I just love all your beautiful roses and had to laugh at the little chipmunk rose theif! That roadside border you have is just stunning, stunning, stunning.

I do really like the look of that early blooming daylily. I hope someone here might know what it could be.

Honestly, I don't know how you can take care of a garden the size of yours. And it always looks fabulous and perfect. Mine is sooo much smaller than yours and more than enough work for me!

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. I am sure you both are pround and happy. What a lovely girl she is.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I just love all your beautiful roses and had to laugh at the little chipmunk rose theif! That roadside border you have is just stunning, stunning, stunning.

I do really like the look of that early blooming daylily. I hope someone here might know what it could be.

Honestly, I don't know how you can take care of a garden the size of yours. And it always looks fabulous and perfect. Mine is sooo much smaller than yours and more than enough work for me!

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. I am sure you both are pround and happy. What a lovely girl she is.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I'd say you had a combination of pretty, cute and awesome. Your daughter is pretty, the little rascal thief is cute and your rose border is awesome. Congratulations on a job well done (your daughter and your border)...Maryl

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

CELESTE:Congradulations to your daughter, on graduating.That chipmonk is so cute, I have never seen a live one, only pictures of them.Thank you so much for posting pictures of your beautiful roses.They are gorgeous.I love that BORDER of roses. your daylily looks like HYPERION TO ME.jUST SO BEAUTIFUL. I know your place must smell like perfume now.LOVE IT:
    jean

• shive
    11 years ago

That long rose border with the rock wall is just stunning. I love the color and form of the rugosa roses, and I would love to smell their fragrance. At first I thought that's what the little chipmunk was doing - until you explained he was taking a bite. The chipmunk photos are really cute! Your daughter, the proud graduate, is a beautiful girl. Congratulations to her, and best wishes for her future.

Debra

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Congrats to Tiffany-and I like your little thief. I have something nibbling on my lilies, but I think it's just a baby bunny. I haven't caught him in the act.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Good for Tiffant. cangratulations to her. Your roses are just stunning as always. I love them! The daylily is pretty, but you know the roses calle me.
    kay

• roxanna
    11 years ago

if i'm not mistaken, i think your yellow daylily is known as the Lemon Lily, or H. flava. i love it in my garden since it's the start of daylily season for me, and it does smell sweet! also it is very graceful, not at all like the brawny blooms of some daylilies (can you tell that i prefer the old-fashioned look of a bloom rather than the heavy edges, etc. lol)....

• bourret
    11 years ago

Hi Celeste,

I think Roxanna is correct. Your yellow daylily is H. lilioasphedelus/flava otherwise known as the Lemon Lily. Around here, HYPERION isn't blooming yet but the Lemon Lily is.

Lisa

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

All your flowers look wonderful, but that border is absolutely stunning. Chipmunks are cute and your pictures are great. We have quite a few around here and they aren't so cute when they damage the garden. You must be very proud of your beautiful daughter.
    Val

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Celeste, sounds like life is good at your house. Beautiful roses and lovely daughter. Congratulations all around.
    Christine

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. Your roses are stunning and your little thief is pretty cute to great photos of him. Say Hi to Fat Cat Nemo, Lily and Zues.
    Linda

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Congrats to the graduate!! The chipmonk pics are just so cute. Your roses are beautiful.
    Cindy