Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers, a little thief, and a graduate

Posted by celestialrose zone 4/5 NH (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 10:44

Hi everyone,
Rose season is underway and all the rain lately means weeds everywhere so I've been super-busy. Not to mention my youngest, Tiffany, had her h.s. graduation over the weekend. I do have scapes coming along, with the promise of much-earlier-than-normal blooms so bear with me while I await daylily season...thought you might enjoy these photos in the meantime.

Celeste

This daylily is in just about every garden around here.
It is the earliest to bloom and smells like honeysuckle.
I don't know the name but it heralds the start of summer here.
Photobucket

The reliable rugosas smell so good....
Photobucket

Rugosas and explorer roses beginning the show....
Photobucket

left rose border is starting up....

left border

old garden roses are about 2 wks. earlier than normal
'John Hopper'
john hopper
'Marchesa Boccella'
marchesa boccella
'Yolande d'Aragon'
yolande d' aragon

This little chipmunk turned out to b a little 'rose thief'.
I didn't know that they ATE roses until I saw him peek his little head out of the rock wall, grap ahold of one of the rugosas, and start nibbling away. It's ok, since I have lots of roses...I won't miss a few & he's a cutie.
Photobucket
look at him standing on his hind legs to get the bloom...
Photobucket
Photobucket

the Knockout roses are putting on a show
Photobucket
Photobucket

My beautiful Tiffany at her graduation this weekend...
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers, a little thief, and a graduate

Congrats to your graduate, an exciting day for her!
I love your roses, they are just beautiful, I envy you so much for being able to grow them. The chipmunk is so cute. I have some here. I had thought I had voles or moles, but kept wondering how such tiny little creatures could make these massive tunnels everywhere. I did kill some moles last fall, so I know I have a few of those. Actually saw the culprit digging up the end of their tunnel though, so I know they belong to the chipmunks. Chip & dale may become a problem. So far-knock on wood-don't seem to have really bothered the daylilies or other bulbs I have, except that they burrow & dislodge some plants. Honestly, I was starting to think I had a groundhog, the tunnels were so big :)

o

I just love all your beautiful roses and had to laugh at the little chipmunk rose theif! That roadside border you have is just stunning, stunning, stunning.

I do really like the look of that early blooming daylily. I hope someone here might know what it could be.

Honestly, I don't know how you can take care of a garden the size of yours. And it always looks fabulous and perfect. Mine is sooo much smaller than yours and more than enough work for me!

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. I am sure you both are pround and happy. What a lovely girl she is.

o

I just love all your beautiful roses and had to laugh at the little chipmunk rose theif! That roadside border you have is just stunning, stunning, stunning.

I do really like the look of that early blooming daylily. I hope someone here might know what it could be.

Honestly, I don't know how you can take care of a garden the size of yours. And it always looks fabulous and perfect. Mine is sooo much smaller than yours and more than enough work for me!

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. I am sure you both are pround and happy. What a lovely girl she is.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 13:16

I'd say you had a combination of pretty, cute and awesome. Your daughter is pretty, the little rascal thief is cute and your rose border is awesome. Congratulations on a job well done (your daughter and your border)...Maryl

o

CELESTE:Congradulations to your daughter, on graduating.That chipmonk is so cute, I have never seen a live one, only pictures of them.Thank you so much for posting pictures of your beautiful roses.They are gorgeous.I love that BORDER of roses. your daylily looks like HYPERION TO ME.jUST SO BEAUTIFUL. I know your place must smell like perfume now.LOVE IT:
jean

o

That long rose border with the rock wall is just stunning. I love the color and form of the rugosa roses, and I would love to smell their fragrance. At first I thought that's what the little chipmunk was doing - until you explained he was taking a bite. The chipmunk photos are really cute! Your daughter, the proud graduate, is a beautiful girl. Congratulations to her, and best wishes for her future.

Debra

o

Congrats to Tiffany-and I like your little thief. I have something nibbling on my lilies, but I think it's just a baby bunny. I haven't caught him in the act.

o

Good for Tiffant. cangratulations to her. Your roses are just stunning as always. I love them! The daylily is pretty, but you know the roses calle me.
kay

o

if i'm not mistaken, i think your yellow daylily is known as the Lemon Lily, or H. flava. i love it in my garden since it's the start of daylily season for me, and it does smell sweet! also it is very graceful, not at all like the brawny blooms of some daylilies (can you tell that i prefer the old-fashioned look of a bloom rather than the heavy edges, etc. lol)....

o

Hi Celeste,

I think Roxanna is correct. Your yellow daylily is H. lilioasphedelus/flava otherwise known as the Lemon Lily. Around here, HYPERION isn't blooming yet but the Lemon Lily is.

Lisa

o

All your flowers look wonderful, but that border is absolutely stunning. Chipmunks are cute and your pictures are great. We have quite a few around here and they aren't so cute when they damage the garden. You must be very proud of your beautiful daughter.
Val

o

Celeste, sounds like life is good at your house. Beautiful roses and lovely daughter. Congratulations all around.
Christine

o

Congrats to Tiffany on her graduation. Your roses are stunning and your little thief is pretty cute to great photos of him. Say Hi to Fat Cat Nemo, Lily and Zues.
Linda

o

Congrats to the graduate!! The chipmonk pics are just so cute. Your roses are beautiful.
Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here