Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

First Flowers of the Season

maximus7116
10 years ago

The winner of the earliest flower to bloom contest is FERN STONE, always a great performer here:

NOBLE ONE, a bonus sent this year and blooming on southern time. I asked the seller to send me a large white bloom and this is what I received. Anyone have experience with this one?

PAIGE ELIZABETH, a newbie also blooming on southern time:

And finally a shot of some of the delphiniums blooming at over six feet tall:

Chris

Comments (14)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a really nice white. It is the whitest daylily that I have ever seen.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful DLS, Beautiful Delphs, know you are happy your season is starting in--enjoy!! Avedon

• shive
    10 years ago

I see you and Kay both had Fern Stone as your first flower of the season. I like Fern with the blue spiderwort in the background. I also like the looks of your new white one too. All I know is what I just read on the registration stats. With a 6.5 inch bloom on 28 inch scapes that one should work well in your garden. Your delphiniums are amazing. I just love them. They won't grow here with our heat and humidity. I bought some of the shorter blue delpinium (20 inchers) that are supposed to like the heat, but they are already browning. I'll just have to be happy looking at my sister's in Indiana and at your photos.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Yes! Your flowers started too! All look very nice, and my favorite is Fern Stone. I too like it with the blue spiderwort behind it. Wow, six feet tall delphs! I've never tried those.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Fernstone is a favorite of mine. I really love it. Yours is beautiful. the delphiniums are to die for. Beautiful!
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

fernstone is a beauty, and that last photo is gorgeous. I don't think those flowers will grow here either, too hot here for them but they sure are pretty.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Hurray for daylily blooms. FERN STONE is my favorite. Gorgeous garden shot.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Fern Stone is really a nice way to start the season, very pretty. I don't know anything about your white one, but it is really pretty & very white. Love the last photo.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

As my Irish ancestors would say "Get away with ya and yer blue delphiniums". Like Debra said, those of us in warmer zones definitely have plant envy when it comes to delphiniums....I really like Fern Stone. What a bright cheery red to be your first bloom. Here's to lots more to come....Maryl

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Fern Stone is gorgeous. So are your delphiniums. I only get to see them in flower shops down here in the Gulf Coast area.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I didn't realize delphiniums couldn't be grown in southern climates. They often don't last more than a few years here, but I replace them cheaply so there's a steady supply.

Maryl, you sounded like my (Irish) mother.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the start of your blooms and what gorgeous ones to. Your delphiniums are spectacular and I agree with Maryl if only they would grow well in FL.
    Linda

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I envy those delphiniums, and Noble One is one of the whitest daylilies I've seen. (Don't care for the name, though: Noble One sounds rather bland and nondescript.)

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The photo of Noble One was taken in early morning with no direct sunlight. The previous bloom (FFO) was definitely more cream than white. Hopefully the latest pic is the way it will bloom in the future.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler