Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deangreen

more diploid blooms, yawn..... ;)

deangreen
10 years ago

hope I didin't offend anyone calling tetraploid flowers garish, they are not all too bad, just a lot I don't like. I'm not sure why but I've always preferred and grown diploids. but of course everyone is going to like or not like way different things and aspects about flowers. So i figure most people would understand.... usually I am tongue in cheek when I say those things but my sense of humor probably doesn't come across on a chat forum post. anyway, on with whatever you like be it diploids or tetraploids, or things you don't like be it doubles, or spiders, or dips or tets etc... ha I know when I first started my garden I thought, only siloams! and then I bought more and more plants and said to myself, okay only diploids and NEVER any spiders..... and then the day came when I joined a club and saw Happy Apache, and thought, well okay only this one Tet!...(which remains true other than club flowers I host and Roses in the Snow which was leftover from a sale). And then came the day that I saw Texas Wagon Wheels in a garden, and I thought to myself, ya know that adds a nice bit of color and texture and "something" different to a bed of all the same round flowers...and then I got Tywyth Teg and Grey Witch, and Marama and Noelani, and etc.... so you get the picture. ha

Has anyone else experienced likes and dislikes that change over time? I know I've always loved doubles, but I know a lot of people think they look deformed, that's okay with me though. I think the same thing about too many teeth or the sculpting thing. ha
we all have the same love for the daylily in general no matter what shape or form, and there are plenty!, and that's good for me. :)

red and yellow seedling from last summer and Midnight Kenyan Safari

FFO on all the following this morning, Siloam Rhinestone, Grey Witch, and seedling from last summer. woo hoo.

Comments (26)

• sann777
    10 years ago

Love that last summer's seedling and Siloam Rhinestone is beautiful. Thanks for posting. Sarah

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Lovely blooms. My favorites are numbers two and three.

• dzejna
    10 years ago

Love dips. :) No.3 is my favorite. Tets are ok too but I do lean toward dips myself.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I like dips and tets both, but number three is definitely my pick. I really like it!

kay

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I like dips and tets both, but number three is definitely my pick. I really like it!

kay

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Keep them coming, Dean, tets or dips, want to see all of them. That third seedling is great. Avedon

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Keep them coming, Dean, tets or dips, want to see all of them. That third seedling is great. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Ah, nice grouping.
    I like the mix of dips and tets, large and medium size blooms(not so much a small flower person) all forms/shapes (I like the mix). I am partial to tall scapes but it doesn't always work out that way.

Julia

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Nice looking flowers, I like Siloam Rhinestone the best.

My tastes haven't changed much, I still like round daylilies, prefer tets, but there are such beautiful dips too (eg Beautiful Edgings). Almost all colors but purples reds and whites are favorites. Oh, watermarks too! Still I planted several doubles, and even couple spiders or rather unusual forms, for variety :)

It's so good that tastes differ, and there are so many different daylilies otherwise we'd all grow the same :)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Siloam Rhinestone is outstanding.

I've changed my mind many times about daylily forms I like and don't like, but there are still a few types that have never made it off my "dislike list." Skinny spiders and yellow daylilies with purple eyes will never live here.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I aqree with everyone Siloam Rhinestone is my favorite and so is your last seedling. I've also changed a lot in what I purchase now. When I started out I just went crazy and bought a little bit of everything, now though I've started to collect a lot of small flowers especially Liz Salter and Grace Stamile I also like flowers with patterns the more crazy the better. It doesn't matter to me if flowers are dips or tets as long as they look good.
    Linda

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Love the color on Siloam Rhinestone. Very pretty one. I really like the first one too.
    Val

• gothiclibrarian
    10 years ago

That last seedling is fantastic! Love the silvery watermark ~Anika

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Dean, it's always nice to bloom seedlings, and they can really change your preferences, opening your eyes to new forms, colors, patterns, blends, etc.

Over the years, I keep coming back to diploids as a favorite, but in a large part, the seedlings are responsible for that reinforcement.

That said however, the "common sight" in our own gardens can be misleading, and we fail to realize a cutting edge daylily when we see it year after year in our keeper beds.

This particular seedling is a Girly Girl x Evelyn Gates seedling, one of the first to bloom in the garden, instant rebloomer, and still blooming here at the end of July. Add to that it is a bud builder, and I don't know if it will quit! It is also a chamelion, with these beautiful bordered blooms in the early season, changing to see next post.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Here is an early midseason bouquet with color change evident. It becomes even more profound in the heat of mid summer, but those pictures are on another computer, so I'll have to wait to post them.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I don't know a dip from a tet as I don't hybridize. But I think Siloam Rhinestone is a pretty one, and your seedling has a nice pattern to it. I'd be impressed if I produced something like that.....That's a nice seedling Judyann. Nice form, nice ruffling. Good job from both of you.......Maryl

• deangreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

judyann, that is a very nice ruffly seedling. wow! absolutely

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Thanks Maryl and Dean. Yes, the ruffles have really advanced. A sibling of this one has ruffles right into the throat.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Wow!!! The seedlings are just amazing!! Absolutely beautiful!

Tammy

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I have both dips and tets in my garden, mostly tets though. As far as bloom size goes I prefer large flowers. I used to really dislike the heavy braiding and teeth but they're growing on me. The one thing I really hate (sorry to those who grow them) is the large spidery blooms that droop, to me they look like the flower is dying. Now that I've started to hybridize, I've gotten more selective about they plants I buy. Bottom line, if I like the plant and can use it, I really don't care if its a dip or a tet.

• shive
    10 years ago

Dean - While I grow mostly tets, I do have some diploids too. They are mostly lates or spidery ones. Siloam Rhinestone and your last seedling are wonderful dips!

Judy Ann - Hello! It's good to see you on this forum!

Debra

• dzejna
    10 years ago

Waves to JudyAnn. :)) Goodness, it has been ages. HUGS!

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, it has been. Hello to all, and especially Dz!

Marric, you make me chuckle, "they look like the flower is dying". My only requirement for those big spidery things is that they stand up to Oklahoma wind and while I allow drooping and birdwatching, tornadoing (twisting) and any other "movement", I want the scapes upright!

After the very unusual "hurricane" we had Tuesday night, I thought one of Oklahoma Hope's babies got 2 of nearly 40 blooms knocked down. But when I saw the lovesick purple-headed finch trying to attract his sweetheart, I realized he was responsible, not the wind! When a Guidred kid can stand up to 95 mph wind and not lean, I'm impressed. Yeah! for Oklahoma Hope x Guidred. I have only an early season photo of this daylily on this computer. It has much more "movement" now as the season progresses.

• deangreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judy, that's beautiful! back from the convention and I pretty much fell in love with a few UF's, mainly North Wind Moe! but yours I like, and I tell ya I'm right there with ya about the WIND. I will be moving a few spidery types this fall to the north side of the house where they are blocked from the wind. a thick strong stem also a MUST! wow again! :)

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Dean, I notice you have some posts regarding the convention. Will have to check that out!

In the garden today I realized that this photo above was not the favorite of the lovesick finch, though it is a sibling. Wouldn't you know it, very limited bud count!

So just wanted to set the record straight on Oklahoma Hope's big 9" kid on that 48" scape that seems to be hurricane proof. Here's the photo. This is the one with 40 bud scars and still building!

Sorry, that color looks "doctored", but when I tried to correct the light, the original deleted. It's nice and purple, but not neon!

Oh yes, this is a much better photo.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

I think I'm getting too picky. This morning while out cutting scapes, I realized that the Oklahoma Hope kid two posts up had 18 bud scars and 4-way branching. Not shabby for such a pretty bloom.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!