Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakejones_gw

Metallic Edges

jakejones
16 years ago

Over the years, there has been discussion of metallic edges. These truly do sparkle like diamonds or pure gold in the sun. Here's an image taken from one of my seedlings. It's the same seedling of which I posted a picture of the entire pink bloom. I would love to see a much thicker metallic edge, but that will take many generations, if at all, to achieve. I really like these sparkling edges.

{{gwi:761863}}

Comments (27)

• caliloo
    16 years ago

oh WOW!!!!

That is gorgeous! Good luck with expanding on that idea...

Alexa

• msrose
    16 years ago

That is so pretty. All these seedling pictures that everyone is posting are killing me, because I see so many I want and can't have!

Laurie

• okbt
    16 years ago

How beautiful!Who are the parents? I would love to get some of the ones with metallic edges.

Betsy

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

The edge is something else and from the look of it, the whole bloom is awesome. It appears to be covered with diamond dust. Good luck and if you don't mind, post the whole thing on this thread. Blessings to all, Mona

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

That is amazingly beautiful. I would definitely buy it. It sparkles so nicely.

• lynxe
    16 years ago

I have to tell you, Jake, that the best metallic edge I've seen (bear in mind, my garden visit experience is limited) was on an unregistered daylily. The flower was, if I'm recollecting accurately, white. The edge was thick and pure gold. It looked as if someone had gilded the edge with a thick layer of 24K gold. The gold was so intense that it makes your seedling's edge look (now, don't take offense!)washed out.

The daylily was never registered because it blooms way, way down in the foliage. I was tempted to buy a piece anyway. To give you an idea about the intensity of the gold, I should tell you that you could easily see the glitter even though the leaves were shading and partly obstructing the flowers.

• pollinatorbob
    16 years ago

Nice close up! You do good work. I envision a daylily covered with that. It would shine like a gold coin. I've heard some folks say there is nothing left to be developed in the daylily line. I think they shouldn't put money on it. Bob

• namso
    16 years ago

Wow, i love the sparking edge on your seedling. Stunning!!!!!

• playsndurt
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous. I would buy it, that's for sure.

• msrose
    16 years ago

Jake - I'd love to see some more pictures of this one. Do you have any that show the whole bloom?

Laurie

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Jake, that's pretty amazing. I've never seen that type of edge before. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

• luvngdirt
    16 years ago

I ove it also. And this a new edge for me as well. It is surely something I would be interested in purchasin . LUV LUV LUV it.

Janet

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Metallic edges? Who'd a thunk it. Wow!

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Jake you sure you didnt get down on the ground with some glitter and glue then snap that pic. Just kidding it is so unreal looking.
    Jill

• jakejones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glue?! Glitter?! Are you kidding? It's so much easier in Photoshop!

Actually, this is a totally unretouched photo, taken early in the morning with ideal light.

The pod parent is RIDE THE WIND.

This is the same seedling in my other post on the first seedling of the year. So, you can see a photo of the whole flower on that thread.

Sorry, I can't promote a business on Garden Web, so this one is not for sale. I only have one fan. I probably will introduce it in a few years.

I really wished I lived a zone that promoted rapid increase of fans.

This is a close up photo (cropped to single petal) in ideal light. The photo really brings out the edge. In the garden, to the naked eye, the edge is less prominent.

Mille gracie for the kind comments.

• msrose
    16 years ago

Here's the link to the other post in case others want to see it. I'm not positive but I think it's okay to work out a deal/trade through e-mail so you'll have to let us know when you have several fans :)

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Metallic Edge daylily

• okbt
    16 years ago

I have been trying to find metallic edged daylilies and haven't had any real success.Does anyone know where I can find the names of some?

Jake-I have dreams about that edge!lol

Betsy

• marbree
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Just to clue you in, it is termed a "gold edge" in the daylily market.

A non-glitter edge is called a yellow edge.

It is possible for a daylily to have both.

Marbree

• okbt
    16 years ago

Marbree,
    Thank you for the info. The Spacecoast series seems to have a lot of gold edges,and some referred to as metallic gold.So whenever they,or any hybridizer,says gold,does it definately mean glitter?
    Betsy

• marbree
    16 years ago

I've started in daylilies only about 5 years ago, so I truly recommend you verify this next information with someone with better expertise.

I really don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about it, but it is selling point that is used by hybridizers and sellers.

The really early gold edges I think were also called yellow edges, then to later to differentiate them they were called "sparkling metallic gold edges". And now it's been shortened so that now they're just called "gold edges". Daylilies that have a yellow edge topped by a gold edge are also usually called "gold edged" daylilies.

Some sellers will describe them as a metallic gold edge to specifically let you know what you're getting. So that there is no confusing them with a yellow edge.

There are two kinds of gold edges that I know of: a condensed "gold webbing" (as seen above in Jake's lovely pink seedling) and a thicker gold edge called a "gold braid". Most sellers don't differentiate the types.

I do know that I personally would be very unhappy to find a gold edged daylily that I purchased had instead a yellow edge. It's almost always a make-or-break deal on my purchase selection, and something that I specifically search for on the lily auction.

I don't have any of the Spacecoast series, but I do have a "Something Wonderfulhref>" It's one of parents of "Spacecoast Fancy Dancer. It has a pretty gold braid and lot's of diamond dusting.

Just as a side note, now they are working on daylilies with tin-plated eyes called "metallic eyes". They're still pretty new, and the older ones I understand can vary with the weather or be hard to see. I'm still waiting for my first blooms so I have no first-hand information on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: metallic eyed daylily - Lightening In A Bottle - I don't have this one - it's still too expensive!

• okbt
    16 years ago

Thank you,Marbree.That's a big help.

Betsy

• marbree
    16 years ago

It's been a really long day

- I didn't mean tin-plated eye -

it's described as an aluminum foil reflective eye.

• jakejones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think some may shorten "metallic gold edge" to "braided" gold edge or brilliant gold edge. In some cases, it may even be shortened to just "gold," but that seems an ambiguous usage to me. Thanks for helping to true to clear this up.

As I read descriptions, there are many with very large gold (or yellow, or yellow-gold, or yellow-green) edges. Many of these are not metallic. Several cultivars have 1/2 inch or more gold or yellow edges that aren't metallic. I think frequently "gold braiding" is part of a larger gold/yellow edge. There also may be a "gold edge" on the outside of a yellow or yellow-gold edge. If a hybridizer describes a 3/4 inch gold edge, that it not a 3/4 metallic gold edge, but a yellow/gold edge. But this just my opinion.

• pollinatorbob
    16 years ago

I see some of this type of 'reflective' or metallic edge in "Angels' Smile" seedlings. I can't ever remember seeing that much on any, but it is there. Bob

• marbree
    16 years ago

I don't think there are no hard and fast rules on it -

I cannot find where AHS mentions a "gold edge" nor "sparkling metallic gold edge" in it's dictionary and when registering a daylily, they only seem to require that they state that the edge is a different color, so it's pretty vague as to whether a hybridizer has to differentiate between a gold edge, yellow edge, or a yellow-gold edge, or one that has the tip of the edges "tipped in gold". I think anyone can register it however they want to.

But again, I like the metallic edges and make a point to look for them. I wouldn't be happy to find I was buying something else, because the gold edges can be hard to see in photos. I have to trust the hybridizers and sellers descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Registering a daylily

• boydsagardener
    16 years ago

Ida's Magic had about an 1/8th gold metallic edge that sparkles in the sun. It's inexpensive these days, $10 - $15!
    Certainly it has been used extensively in breeding, but anyone can cross it with any other Tet in his/her yard. Who knows, maybe you'll be the envy of this forum! Good luck.

I received my Summer Daylily Journal Saturday. There's a very informative article on patterned eyes. The pictured ones are just awesome!

• grass_lover
    12 years ago

Spiny Sea Urchin is listed as having a gold edge. Can anyone tell me if it sparkles? *g* Mine didn't bloom this year but I'd really like to have at least one with a metallic edge. Thanks