Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Pinks and Semi-Chewed Daylilies

maximus7116
11 years ago

The bugs and dew are wreaking havoc on my early blooming daylilies. These were the best of the bunch today:

SONG IN MY HEART

ROSE MASTERPIECE

SAFE ISLAND

ROCK LOBSTER, with no pinching in the throat yet:

CHILLED EUPHORIA, one of my poorer performing Hansons:

CHARMING CHARLIE, with the least-chewed daylily in the foreground:

BETTY FORD has turned into a nice clump with plenty of buds:

PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL. I've decided even if this one only has four buds for the rest of its life, I'll continue to grow it. I love the bloom.

CHIANTI lilies, which I love because of their "candelabra" branching:

Chris

Comments (16)

• shive
    11 years ago

The Song In My Heart clump is very pretty, and Betty Ford and Safe Island are standouts. Patricia Snider Memorial must have hypnotized you with that red eye. It's hard NOT to love that bloom.

Debra

• jkayd_il5
    11 years ago

Chris, I am so glad you can grow Patricia Snider Memorial. I just bought it Thursday. So maybe it will grow for me too. Debra just wouldn't stop posting pictures of it so I had to buy it. LOL Got Carnival in Mexico at the same time and it has a scape full of buds. Had seen one bloom. Pretty excited about both of them. Enjoy your pictures.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. Yes, Debra, you continue to nudge people to buy certain daylilies by posting such beautiful photos.

Judy, I would imagine PSM would do ok for you, since you're south of me. It took a while to establish itself here. I think I bought it three years ago from Maryott, but this is the first year I've had two scapes and more than 1-2 blooms.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Not much chewing that I could see, only lovely, lovely blooms. First off, I love that CHIANTI lily. I should get that one!

I love BETTY FORD, it is a favorite in my own garden. And SAFE ISLAND is my favorite. Such a lovely soft coloring it has.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I'm with you- four blooms is enough if you get PSM.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I dont see no chewing either, just some pretty blooms. and I love them lilies. they are gorgeous. and BETTY FORD is my favorite.

jean

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Love the first 3 pinks and Charming Charlie is charming.
    Darn that Debra...I really want Patricia Snyder Memorial. Hmmm. The Chianti lilies are gorgeous. nice blooms from Mi..Ellie

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Betty Ford is so red and perfect. Nice photo. Patricia Snider Memorial is a lovely bloom. I can see why you want to keep it.

I too love the Chianti lily. Upward facing is so nice. Gotta find that one. Most of mine tend to be downward facing.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, all. I guess my photographs aren't clear enough to show all the bug damage. Most of the eaten ones I didn't even bother to photograph.

The Chianti lilies have been here for at least six years, and they've multiplied like crazy. I can't remember where I bought them. I'll try to post a better pic that isn't so overexposed by the sun.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I saw Charming Charlie recently at a garden park and it's so bright and stand out in a clump-chewed or not.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Safe Island is looking very good. Any comments on its performance?

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Well, I'll chime in with everyone else and say how much I like those CHIANTI lilies. And I'll bet Rita has already ordered some and knows where she is going to plant them. Oh, the enabling of this forum! Also I love the curving pathway in the photo of CHILLED EUPHORIA. I want to walk down it and see what's at the other end.As for a favorite daylily, PSM is hard to resist.
    Christine

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Safe Island and Betty Ford are great!! Love the lilies too. very pretty.
    cindy

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Christine. The pathway used to lead to a pool, but now it just leads to weeds. Have to think of a new destination for the end of the path.

Mantis, Safe Island is a winner. I don't have a single complaint.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

So many I really like! Song in my Heart is really pretty, there is something in the shape of Rose Masterpiece that I really, really like. Safe Island is such a beautiful color. I think my favorite is Charming Charlie. I can see a few spots, but I love the shape & look of it.
    I should have some Chianti lilies here, but I don't think they bloomed this year. Frost got those buds too I guess. You have a nice clump of them, really pretty!

• houstmag
    11 years ago

I'm really starting to get into the pinks and Song in my Heart is stunning and my favorite.
    Linda