Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's Thursday Flowers

shive
10 years ago

Well after spraying last evening, there are fewer damaged blooms and buds this morning.

DIVINELY BLESSED finally without bug damage!

LEVI DAVIS

ICE CREAM EMPEROR

COSMIC ODYSSEY ffo

HOLD YOUR HORSES

AERIAL APPLIQUE

WONDER OF IT ALL - This is the first of 9 blooms to open correctly, and it is not symmetrical.

FORSYTH FROSTBOUND ffo

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 11:16

Comments (20)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Divinely Blessed is just that. I love those soft colors with the green throat. The ruffles make it really stand out. How tall is that one? Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - It's very short - only 18 inches - a front of the border flower for sure. It struggles here, so I don't think it would do better farther north.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

hold your horses in very striking, what a great name! I like that first one big and creamy with bright throat, reminds me of a daylily I'm hoping to get this weekend at Lilyland farm in Texarkana called Ask of ME.
    great pics.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra. Sounds like I'll just have to admire yours! Marg

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

You havw some beauties blooming today, Debra, and I see you have a very nice Wonder of it all today.I have 15 blooms on mine today again.It looked like all of mine was trying to end the season today by having so many blooms on each plant,o favorites today, I like them all.

jean

• sann777
    10 years ago

I love Divinely Blessed and Ice Cream Emperor. I don't have either one of those. SARAH

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

They all look good to me.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Ice Cream Emperor is always beautiful in your pics, but I'm still leery of planting some evergreens here. American Doll you sent me survived the winter and looks healthy, so that might be an evergreen that's the exception to the rule. FFB is also looking good.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - Your WOIA always performs better than mine. Three of its blooms finally opened all the way today, and one preferred to stay closed.

Chris - I'm glad to hear American Doll made it through the winter and is looking healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms in your climate. That one is a semievergreen, by the way. Looking at the parentage of Ice Cream Emperor, it might be riskier that far north.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful, but Divinely Blessed and Ice Cream Emperor are my favorites. Sounds like I'll have to just admire them in your pictures though if their hardiness is borderline.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All very pretty.

Julia

• mike_z6
    10 years ago

Shive,
    Thank you for all your post. The pictures you take are beautiful.
    In one of you prior post you expressed having trouble with thrips and insects.
    I have had great results using, believe it or not, "Murphy's Oil".
    I spray right over the flowers with it and it does not harm the plants or the blooming flowers.
    I just use a tablespoon of Murphy's Oil in a gallon of water and if I want to stop eating bugs. I add a touch of Orthene to the mix.
    This has worked for thrips and it even has an added effect of deepening the flower color just slightly.
    I believe the Murphy's Oil acts as a light summer oil to smother the thrips and the Orthene gives it the final punch.
    Thanks again for your work.
    Mike

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Debra, the photo are lovely as yours usually are. I especially like Forsyth's Frostbound and Cosmic Odyssey, but Divinely Blessed and Levi Davis are very beautiful too.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Divinely Blessed is incredibly beautiful and Ice Cream Emperor is superb - I'll have to add them to my Wish List. Your photos are excellent, too. Is Hold Your Horses larger than Wild Horses? It looks like it has a lot more substance in your photo.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Yes, the Hold Your Horses bloom is quite a bit larger than Wild Horses. It's only supposed to be one inch bigger, but it seems like more. They both have good substance here.

Debra

• TNY78
    10 years ago

The ones witrh the frilly edges are beautiful! The pictures look like they are right from a catalog!

Tammy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike - Thanks for the tip on Murphy's Oil Soap. I may try that.

Tammy - Thanks for your comments!

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

that first one and the applique one are really nice!

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Beautiful photos and stunning blooms what more could you ask for.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I would have an impossible time picking a favorite of these beauties, so I won't. Gorgeous blooms and outstanding photography! I am hoping to get Forsyth Frostbound this year. I have wanted it for a long time.
    How does it perform for you?

Mike, thanks for the tip! I am going to try that this year.

Celeste