Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gothiclibrarian

Ramping up in Indianapolis...

gothiclibrarian
11 years ago

I've been trying to limit myself to a post a week but now that things are picking up, that would just make for giant posts so I think I'll spread things out a bit, if that's ok :D

I hope other people like macros as I do...I love it when you can capture either texture or that beautiful flicker of diamond dusting on a petal.

Mystical Rainbow (twin FFOs!)

Detail...

Ballerina Beautiful (FFO)

Border Sentry FFO

Evening Enchantment FFO

Detail...

Swan Angel FFO

Edge of Shangrila

Inherited Wealth (at least one of these is a FFO...the thrips really really love this one, ugh)

My Girl

Ripple Effect

Beautiful Edgings

Siloam Double Classic

NOID FFO

Elizabeth's Magic (this one is slow to open for me...is this everyone else's experience with her?)

Custard Candy FFO (slugs love this one)

Fiji FFO (slugs REALLY love this one, ugh)

Marseilles Watercolor (only 3 more flowers to go, boo)

Black Fathom Depths (just a detail shot this time...with more slug damage)

My seedling...Shores of Time X Sdlg (just 1 more bud to go)

Haven't gotten it to set a pod, but it is pollen fertile, that much I now know, yay.

Cheers!

~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

Comments (20)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Evening Enchantment is amazing, what an incredible dark color with that green throat. Just beautiful.
    Christine

• shive
    11 years ago

What a wonderful group of photos! The shot of the Mystical Rainbow twins has a very dreamy quality. I love how velvety Evening Enchantment looks. Border Sentry is amazing. Whatley was really ahead of his time on the edge-no eye flowers. Ripple Effect has beautiful jewel-tone colors. It's too bad Don Jerabek moved to California and stopped hybridizing. I have two of his bluish-eyed cultivars - Smooth Jazz and Watson Park Eyes - that I really love. Marseille Watercolor always seems to have marvelous color and pattern. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos!

Debra

• gothiclibrarian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I figure I should share what I can while I can.

I (arguably foolishly...I guess I'm more than a bit of a garden daredevil) have brought a lot of cultivars to my garden that I've neither seen grown locally nor read anecdotal evidence of thriving in my climate.

We'll see what happens over time!

I don't expect them all to work for me in the long run...so today's photo might be the last from me, so to say. I've got 2 fans out back that have aborted their scapes in the past few days (personally I think my dog did it, lovely boy that he is; but you never know if it's the beginning of a fungal issue or whatnot).

Debra, Smooth Jazz **is** lovely, I was just admiring yours this morning. I sort of happened upon Ripple Effect at last year's IDIS sale and grabbed it as quickly as I could.

Marseilles Watercolor is one I'm not sure is suited to my garden/climate...but it's such a pretty bloom I wanted to try it desperately enough.

I don't coddle anything (though I am going to need to step up and deal with the slug issue after the warm winter/spring)...with spending most of my time chasing (human) kids, well, the daylilies (and roses, you name it) have to be tough.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Great pictures! I love that blurred background showcasing the beautiful blooms, which are all of them, hard to pick one. My Girl is super lovely, I also like (of course) Beautiful Edgings and Border Sentry. Evening Enchantment is so dark! Noid, I am almost sure, is Doodlebug.

• gothiclibrarian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone's curious, I'm using an old non-AI Nikon 55mm f/3.5 Micro lens (micro = Nikon-speak for "macro") in all these. Serial number pinpoints my lens to manufacture between 1966-1969 (wish I could pinpoint more exactly, but there you go). I find particular pleasure in mounting vintage lenses on newer digital cameras.

To use it you have to go fully manual...it's worth it for the fantastic color and clarity. Not the most spectacular bokeh, but, I think it's a good enough trade off.

In most of these photos it's either fully open at f/3.5 or stopped down to maybe f/5.6 (very rarely above that), so very very short depth of field. I rarely take the time to note all my manual specs.

I'm starting to get bored with the lens though...its results are predictably beautiful, but I've been using it a ton lately and am ready to switch things up. I might start up with some of my M42 mount again since I find them to be a bit more unpredictable and interesting, especially with bokeh.

/photonerd

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Your photographs are beautiful!!!! That shot of Mystical Rainbow should be framed it is so beautiful. I pick them as my favorites.

• deangreen
    11 years ago

mystical rainbow has some great color on it. very nice.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Marseilles Watercolor is beautiful. I can see why you're sad to see that one end.

I also like the looks of Edge of Shangrila. Do you happen to have a full pic of that one?

Chris

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Your pictures are stunning, I really do love the details. That close up of Black Fathom Depths is wonderful.
    Cindy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Hard to pick a favorite, but I always like the color of Beautiful Edgings and you've captured it beautifully. The shot of Mystical Rainbow deserves an "A". Good photography....Maryl

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Fantastic pictures. My Girl is such a beautiful clear color and I love the dramatic eye of Ripple Effect.
    Val

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oh I love Border Sentry tahts gorgeous.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Ripple Effect is stunning. Great photo.

Julia

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Your photos are all so wonderful, I especially love Ripple Effect & Marseilles Watercolor.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Love all of your photos they are stunning my favorites are also Ripple Effect and Marseilles Watercolor.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen Ballerina Beautiful before! Lovely color. Is it a small flower? Marseilles Watercolor is beautiful as is Mystical Rainbow. Your seedling is very nice too. Marg

• nat4b
    11 years ago

I read about the camera and of course didn't understand a word lol Post more pictures, they are beautiful!

• gothiclibrarian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all comments! (and for overlooking all the copious slug/thrip damage ;-)

Chris, here's Edge of Shangrila in a bigger shot.

If anyone's curious, this is my 2nd year with EoS blooming and I've had 2 polypetal blooms.

Marric, Ballerina Beautiful is registered as a 6" bloom...the one that opened today is closer to 5.5" though. It's my 1st year with BB so I'm not sure if she'll get bigger or not.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

Evening Enchantment - floored me!!! OMG! Gorgeous!

• mizellie
    11 years ago

As always, Evening Enchantment grabs the show. However, I liken MW and RE. I do think your noid is Siloam Doodle Bug. How big is the bloom. I like the rich color of your seedling. Shores Of Time makes beautiful babies!! Ellie