Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazenmarine

Daylily identifitication

BlazenMarine
9 years ago

posted this on the Lily forum and told it is a daylily. so i need help. does anyone have any idea what it is called. i was thinking Victorian Princess, the colors are about right but the petal shape, not so much... I'm going crazy here!!!

Comments (15)

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Without more info, plant height, bloom size, bloom time, it is hard to tell . When I first saw it I thought it looked like one I have, Catherine Woodbery. Having more info would help narrow down the choices.

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The flower itself bloomed for the first time on Tuesday... Not sure if morning or afternoon as I saw it in late evening. The flower was about 4 inches wide. The flower stalk is approximately 13 and a half inches tall and is an altogether small plant. This may not be relevant, as it is new and was planted last fall from a bulb purchased in a collection of Day lilies from Brecks. Does any of this help?

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

I notice it is growing in a pot. Scape height is not typical in a pot, especially on first blooms.

What zone are you in? Is this an early bloomer?

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 18:56

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pot is buried in the ground and is roughly 3 foot tall and about 2 tow 3 foot around. Does that make a difference? If it doesn't, then it's about the same size as my "Destined to be Seen" that is NOT in a pot.

This post was edited by BlazenMarine on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 20:13

• wildbirds
    9 years ago

There is a problem attempting to identify such blooms/cultivars in this manner- by photo and description thru the internet. Some 'mass-market' mail-order operations sometimes buy groups of unselected seedlings (Rejected for AHS registration) from breeders. Similarly, AHS registered cultivars that have been propagated but have not sold by commercial growers are sometimes also sold in bulk, 'as-is' (Unidentified - lowers handling costs), for such MM MO companies to be able to offer 'package deals'; 'landscaping groupings'; etc. Consequently, considering there are now well over 70,000 AHS registered daylily cultivars in commerce, there are many daylilies that look the same or similar - as there are unregistered seedlings that resemble registered ones (Sometimes very similar.) The possibility of assuming (The correct word) that a plant in hand from such a purchase, is a particular cultivar is more likely to be inaccurate than to be a correct identification.

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well poop. i was afraid that that would be the case. thank you for your help. it is beautiful nonetheless! i will enjoy my mystery daylily, nameless or not! :)

• dzejna
    9 years ago

Yeah it's a beauty, I hate it when I have an unmarked one but hey, start from scratch ( I certainly am this year, bahh). What I do when I have an unnamed one, find out first if it's a DIP or TET, so you can breed it. Pollinate it with self first, see if it's pollen and pod fertile first. Stick a label on each stalk so you don't lose track (too easy). Then try pollinating with other known daylilies you have. Again mark the crosses. See what takes, which means they are TET or DIP depending on pollen you crossed with. Collect and dry the seeds, plant in fall or spring and voila..enjoy your new babies. :) From my experience this could be a DIP, but looks can trick you, hehe!

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know! When it bloomed i was so happy. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. But no name. Looked it up on brecks too. No name. I may try what you have suggested. My daughter wanted to pick it so bad! :-) might just name it after her and call it a day!

• dzejna
    9 years ago

hehe good luck!

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I have a daylily called George C Bingham and it looks very similar. It starts out a bit more peach though.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Could it be Tani? Your plant is in a container. It will not get as tall as in the ground and the flower size is only the first year so it has not reached its full potential yet. The shape of the petals can change also.
    http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/19185/Daylily-Hemerocallis-Tani/ Told you there were a lot it might be!LOL

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to look up both of those. When it is done blooming... This fall I will move it out of the buried pot. Not crazy about it being in there. Maybe next year it will look different. It only had 3 buds this year. It has one left.
    Can't wait for it to bloom next year.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

It does indeed look a lot like George Caleb Bingham. I thought it looked like an older Wild cultivar when I first saw it. Of course, as others have noted, it may also be a seedling since it came in a mixture.

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I might have to agree with you. It looks identical! But I will not cross off the latter either. I may never know... LOL but thanks everyone for all you comments and helpful ideas.

• BlazenMarine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has bloomed for the last time... Just beautiful!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm