Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Thursday seedling photos

shive
10 years ago

Some seedlings change for the better as time goes on, and some change too much.

PRECIOUS CANDY X TWILIGHT ILLUSION #2 nearly got composted this spring, but I decided to let it bloom to see if there were changes. And it has improved in color and the fact the petals and sepals are recurving now. You can see the other scape of it on the right. I think it had side branching last year, but this year is shaded too much by the Sun Bear seedlings.

PRECIOUS CANDY X Twilight Illusion #1 - I'm not as wowed by this one as I was last year. Last year there seemed to be more contrast between the petal color and eye. It has great bud count again - 19-22 per scape. And the scapes are nice and tall - not stunted like so many this season.

My early blooming white seedling out of Dust Be Diamonds X Tuxedo Junction is not as white as last year. The pink highlights show through more now. And on very hot days, by evening the flower is light pink instead of white. The scapes are taller this year with better branching and bud count, which ranges from 16-20. That's quite an improvement for one that started with only three buds.

Debra

Comments (20)

• deangreen
    10 years ago

that last one is very nice! I like a white accent in the garden with green too. nice.
    there is a small dl called Helicopter from Huben that I want to get but it's too expensive and sold as a single fan, but anyway it's a nice small creamy spider sort of dl.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean - Thanks! I'll have to check out Huben's Helicopter.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, I like both of them, The first photo is gorgeous, and that near white one is great too, .

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - There are three seedlings posted. Which both do you like? The first two are sibs.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Nice!

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I like the looks of the second seedling. I think the white midribs are striking, and there's still nice contrast with the sepals.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I really like PC X TI #1. Like the little gold edge and the ruffles. I like the near white too. Is the throat green? It looks green in the clump shot, but more yellow in the close up.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I like the second one but they are all looking good.
    Your white seedling is just showing some of the "parent" colors with the pinkish tint.

Julia

• sann777
    10 years ago

You already know which one I like - The white one of course. I have looked for another white DL this spring. I have Joan Senior and Peggy Jeffcoat,(PJ hasn't bloomed yet) I think it's white!! I want one like Artic Frost with pretty ruffles. Sarah

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val - The near white seedling has a yellow to green throat. The first photo of it I shot two days ago, after a cool night. The group shot was today, after a warm night. The green in the throat shows up more after a warm night. On all the previous flowers the yellow was much more noticeable, and you really had to look closely to see the green inside the throat.

Chris, Val, and Julia - That Precious Candy seedling does have nice form, and the double edge. Last year it showed a lot more gold, baubles and teeth on the edge. I think it will take several days of warm temps to produce those. And as I recall, the color improved in a stretch of hot weather. I'll post more photos of it as the season progresses.

Julia - You are right about the white showing the parent colors. Yesterday it looked more like the parchment color of Tuxedo Junction.

Sarah - The near whites really add a cooling effect to the garden. I hope you find one you like.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I like all three seedlings, but the second one is my favorite.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kay! From a technical standpoint, the second is the best.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Debra, I love the first two photos.I thought both was the same plant, taken at different times, the first photo is gorgeous, and I like that last photo of the white one., its also gorgeous.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your clarification, Jean!

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I lik #2 the best. It has those pretty yellow frilled edges and the white stripe down the middle is very pretty as well.

Tammy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I really like the second seedling.
    Linda

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

I like the third seedling. I've been having fits trying to find a really great white to plant with Tuxedo Junction, which is already in the ground. What's the bloom size on that one?

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Wow....that second seedling is a beauty! They are all pretty but I find the 2nd one irresistible. Great job.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mnclerk - The seedling has a 6 inch bloom on a 28 inch scape right now. But it's still in a crowded seedling bed. When I get it planted in my evaluation bed in full sun, it may grow taller with a larger bloom. I won't be sure of its stats for a couple of years. If you are just looking for a near white to plant with Tuxedo Junction, and don't want to cross the two for seedlings, I would recomment a dip, Margo Reed Indeed.

Celeste - I can't wait until it heats up to see what will happen to the Precious Candy's color. My last photo from last year had such contrast between the petal color and the eye and lots of teeth on the edge.

Debra

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I really like the DBD X TJ, a lot. It's looks pretty white to me..Ellie

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations