Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Cheat-scapes!

celeste/NH
10 years ago

Last fall I took advantage of Maryott's big sale and snatched up some great bargains. As is typical for fall-planted Maryotts, they were trying to send up rebloom scapes in October ( which in my climate is futile because temps were already around freezing). I was surprised in early May to see scapes rising out of the barely-emerging clumps on a few of these Maryott's! Two just had their FFO's and I thought I'd share. Daylily season starts in July here so this is an unexpected treat!

Celeste

JERRY HYATT, ffo

Comments (15)

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BONNIE HOLLEY, ffo

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some things around my yard:
    Before the Storm bearded Iris.....

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peony border

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Batik

• shive
    10 years ago

Both are very nice daylilies! I know you are happy some dayliles much earlier than usual. Those black irises are amazing!

Debra

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lark Ascending

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Wow,celeste. That first daylily is gorgeous.Both are pretty, but I just love that first one. gorgeous.i am not a big Iris fan, I like them, but, ouldn't want a lot of themI DO like the black one..... Roses yet?????

jean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

It's great that you have two daylilies blooming now, they both look good. The irises are lovely, that black one is amazing. Know you must be on pins and needles waiting for new grandchild to arrive. I want to send you your "grandmother's present", hope you like it. Avedon

Single Somebody as a poly. The fourth sepal is almost impossible to see in this photo, but it is there.

Single Somebody poly--these two bloomed on the same day, and this one also has a sepal hard to see. I just think they are lovely. Hope you like them. Happy Grandmother's Day!!!

• sann777
    10 years ago

You have some beautiful flowers. I love them all. The Iris are beautiful, although I think Iris are 10 times harder to grow than daylilies. I have too much shade here. I love the peonies. I love the Bonnie Holley. I can't wait to see your other Daylilies. Sarah

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I am surprised at your early bloom too. I do like Bonnie Holley. I have started to buy her several times and didn't. I have Before The Storm and think it a fantastic black. I have want Batik for years but Irises don't do well at my house . To much freezing and thawing in the spring. The orange beard on Lark Ascending really sets off the white Iris. Nice photos..

Ellie

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

How pretty and what good luck to have early blooms. I love the peony's. Have to struggle to grow them here. the iris are beautiful too. Baik's a favorite of mine.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I take scapes any way I can get them. So early scapes like that are just wonderful. Bonnie Holly is my favorite but I love the iris and the peony border.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love Jerry Hyatt and your iris and peonies and oh well I guess I love them all. Always a treat to see your photos, so keep them coming.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU for commenting everyone!

Jean, the roses are just barely starting here. I am behind just about everybody since they don't get to their peak til the end of June, but I will share loads of pictures when they're ready.

Avedon, bless your heart for those beautiful photos and the sentiment! My new grandbaby isn't here yet but we are all in suspense waiting. I must ask DD every hour on the hour if she's having any contractions....lol.
    How sweet of you to remember the grandbaby coming and also that I love your 'Single Somebody'. And it looks extra-good as a poly! How large would you say the blooms are? It looks like a good-sized bloom. Last summer my fragrant yellow noid had a huge poly and it was 9 inches across, whereas the blooms are typically 6 inches. We sure have some nice yellow Noids!
    Thanks for the treat.

Celeste

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

The Iris really caught my eye. Iris leaves require too much maintenance in our climate to look good, so outside of my lone variegated one, I do without. But I saw Batik in bloom at a local nursery in early spring and it was all I could do to stop myself from buying it. Your picture captures its remarkable coloration. The black Iris is pretty too, but for me Batik is the winner....Maryl