Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Thursday Bloomers

newyorkrita
11 years ago

PURPLE MAZE. This is a favorite daylily of mine.

First Flower Open on Going Bananas.

FFO on Olallie Lad

The last flower on Lou-Anna was a pretty one.

NO ID lily.

GOLDEN JOY lily.

roses

more roses

Comments (17)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Oh Purple Maze. I didn't need to look any further for a favorite. Well, andd then along came roses and more roses, so beautiful.
    Christine

• shive
    11 years ago

Purple Maze really steals the show today. It is such a gorgeous patterened-eye cultivar. It looks like it has plenty of blooms for you this time. The other daylily that I find pleasant and attractive is Lou-Anna. Is it one of your extra earlies? I'm swooning over that fiery two-tone rose in the first rose photo. Everything is so pretty and well-grown in your gardens!

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

PURPLE MAZE is a very pretty one. and i love the lilies.They are gorgeous. but them roses,steals the show again. They are gorgeous,

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

My first love is still roses, so I've got to give them the prize. You have such a great colorful blending of healthy looking specimens. But your daylilies are nothing to sneeze at. I've got to give the nod to Purple Maze. The bloom looks huge and your picture is catalog perfect....Maryl

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PURPLE MAZE was so-so it's first year here but adfer that it has been just wow, I really love the eyezone pattern on it and the color which is rather odd.

Debra, Lou-Anna is one of those extra earlies from Olallie. Nothing fancy but early is good!

• deangreen
    11 years ago

yes yes yes to Purple Maze, wow so many colors! :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More PURPLE MAZE in the rain.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW RITA, PURPLE MAZE is gorgeous with the rain drops on it.I have came back here several times looking at PURPLE MAZE and each time,I like it even more.Its really a beautiful bloo,.and I love them LILIES, too.They are a beautiful color.

jean

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Oh wow, so beautiful... each one. I was just reading up on
    everblooming daylilies and Going Bananas was on the list.
    Do you find that it is everblooming for you? The rose pics are
    beautiful I sadly have 15 rose bushes, trees and 2 climbers waiting for me to finish the new rose bed. But its still only in my head... Your pics make me want to hurry and actually get
    it done. Your roses are so beautiful and lush. What do you amend your soil with when you plant and what fert. do you use?
    I bought peat moss, humus, & manure to amend the soil with.
    My soil is clay. But some areas are dry sand. Also what % of sun do your roses get? Since your gardens are so amazing I hope that you would share your obvious wealth of knowledge. Thank you for all of your beautiful pics! Rena'

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Love Purple Maze I finally got one this spring after admiring everyone's photos so I hope it does well for me.
    I wish I could grow roses that look as good as yours but that's not going to happen I've tried but they just don't do very well for me.
    Linda

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I missed this post of Purple Maze, I'm glad I caught it. Beautiful flower, I really like that one. Like your lilies, but I'm floored by your roses, so very beautiful.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple Maze is a great doer for me and puts on a nice show each year.

As to the roses, I amend the soil by backfilling the planting hole with peat moss and compost when I plant. The roses are mulched, just as just about everything else is mulched. They are planted close together as I like the jumbled up look. I fertilize each spring with rose tone after I do a heavy spring prunning.

After this spring flush they will be prunned back again and that means my second flush comes in August. I spray them with a systemic fungicide and Neptunes Liquid Fertilizer every two weeks. Thats it.

No, GOING BANANAS is not a heavy bloomer for me, sorry.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Thank you Rita. Purple haze is amazing. The pic in the rain is so wonderful it really shows the colors.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Before I got roses I was always told that roses are so difficult. They are a fair amount of work because they need prunning and spraying. But I don't think they are difficult at all. But really one needs to choose the right roses. Anything that did not work out here, that is stingy blooms, got to big and sprawley or I was just dissapointed in the blooms, I got rid of. I have very few Hybred Teas (I have some). I have mostly floribundas and Clements roses. (look at Heirloom Roses)

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Thank you again Rita. I've not visited the rose forum recently as I've got myself in so... deep with way more
    plants, bulbs and rhizomes than I have time or garden space for. My yard is plenty big 2 acres but I have to do all the upkeep myself. And to say that I am way behind... that would be a major understatement. Someone suggested that I lasagna garden. I follow your posts and am amazed not at the amount that you order but the fact that you say it will all get planted. I have more plants coming and I would be embarassed to actually admit how much is already waiting to be planted. Sigh... Your go gettem attitude is inspiring.
    I was afraid the rose forum would tempt me to order more, when what I have is in desperate need of planting. I already
    get myself in trouble (even if only with myself) lol in the daylily forum. Although I have definitely decided no more Iris orders this year.
    Rena'

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, if you order it and it comes somehow it MUST get planted LOL! Can't let plants go to waste :-)

The rose forum is full of valuable information and the rose gallery has so many lovely pictures.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Purple Maze is very pretty, I can understand why it is a favorite. And as always, your roses are wonderful.
    Cindy

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer