Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Tuesday's Treasures

shive
9 years ago

First I'm going to show you a seedling that didn't impress me at all when it first bloomed last week. The cross is Symphony of Praise X Henry Lorrain, and the goal was to produce a peated (pinched throated) seedling. Well today the seedling bloomed a very different looking flower with that pinched throat I wanted.

SOP X HL ffo

SOP X HL today - quite the transformation!

Now for the registered daylilies from this morning.

AUGUST GROOM - I received this as a bonus a couple of years ago and it has really impressed me with large, nice foliage, and large blooms that always present well. Bud count is usually in the mid teens.

BEADED LIGHT never grows as tall as registered here, but it always makes a nice clump.

WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS - not as well budded and branched as in past years, but still lovely in a clump.

RUBY LIPSTICK - always a standout with its huge blooms.

BILTMORE STYLE - not really as bright a red as photographed. It's the second year, and I'm still waiting for the throat to pinch.

SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY is a bit splotchy today, but the ruffling was so grand I just had to show another photo.

NAVAHO TALISMAN is always a favorite. I need to move it out of the grass and weeds to a sunnier spot.

SHELBY with HOLD YOUR HORSES in the background. This one finally multiplied like crazy and has better bud count than the past two years.

HERBGIRLS CHERRY MOONSHINE is always well budded, even in drought years.

PURIFY MY HEART has just started to bloom.

Debra

Comments (14)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Debra, a beautiful collection of flowers. My favorites are Ruby Lipstick and SC Frances Busby. Your seedling is very pretty--glad that it is showing the trait you were breeding for. It is amazing how they change from flower to flower, not just from one year to the next.
    Nancy

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

Of course I love Ruby Lipstick but August Groom is really a nice one too. I really enjoy your pictures.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oh goodness, more Beauties, today :)am loving it,too. They are all beauties again, today.glad you were able to get the pinched throat you was trying for.My very favorite of these is AUGUST GROOM. Golly that's a beauty.My second favorite here is WESTBOURNEGOOD OLD DAYS. and I really like SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY.Them ruffles are so nice on it.
    Thanks for all these beauties to look at.I am having a real hard time today to type anything,as cant seem to move my fingers on left hand, so having to do this mostly right handed,and THEY not moving so good either.

jean

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Shelby and your new ruffly Spacecoast are my picks today. Your photos of Shelby always put it on my wish list, but then I look at other photos and the eye seems less pink (or more muddy). It's back on my wish list, at any rate.

Nice job on the SOP seedling, too. Nice color and throat.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Nan and Jkayd!

Jean - Hope your fingers feel better soon!

Chris - Shelby is not really pink here. The eye is made up of red lavender veins and lighter lavender inbetween. The petals are usually a greyed lavender. The sepal markings looked pink today. When I first received Shelby, I though it must be another plant because there certainly not much pink about it.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

"This one finally multiplied like crazy"--does the "this" refer to Hold Your Horses? HYH has been disappointing so far here.
    Thanks for the info on August Groom.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - I was referring to Shelby as finally multiplying well. The fans trippled last year. This is the first season Hold Your Horses has performed nicely for me. But it spent its first two years in a pot and then I planted it in a drought year. The scapes are finally their registeredd height and bud counts are in the mid teens. In past years the scapes had been short and I had less than 10 buds per scape.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos as always, Debra. I really like the color on your seedling. Very pretty. Shelby is such a beauty. You enabled me on that one and I am very glad. It is such a beautiful bloom.

Spacecoast Francis Busby is a beauty! Love that hot color. Ruby Lipstick is always a favorite, and I can't decide between it and Shelby for my pick. Beautiful as always.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

That was certainly a good example of how a daylily can change. Hard to believe they are the same one.....The photo of the mass of bloom of Beaded Light is gorgeous. Kudos to both you and the daylily. I like that Herbgirl's Cherry Moonshine too.......Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Lovely pics Debra. August Groom is my favorite. Love the vibrant color.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - I couldn't believe the seedling changed that much. I wish they could all improve that much in just a week. LOL

Julia - August Groom has more red tones in full sun, but a beauty in any light.

Debra

• deangreen
    9 years ago

that Westbourne DL is great! i wish I had some of her daylilies! they sell out so fast! ha :)

• hostabff
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Is Ruby Lipstick a fast grower? Either I lost it this winder or it quadrupled in size. Waiting for the bloom to see.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostabuff - Ruby Lipstick is a fast grower, especially after cold winters like we had this past year.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:24

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions