Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Pollen

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 12:21

I had a daylily bloom today that is a gorgeous pale lavender Carpenter seedling and I want to cross it. The pollen, even at mid morning, is a pale yellow and hard, not fluffy like the golden pollen on my other lilies. I got enough scraped off onto the 2 lilies I wanted to pollinate but not sure if it is viable. Can anyone tell me about this type of pollen and if it is any good to use? It is a Tet. Thanks....
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Pollen

It sounds like sterile pollen to me. I have a few tets with this kind of pollen - Magnificent Hummingbird comes to mind. It is not viable.

Debra

o

I guess you can always try and see if any of it takes! And even if the pollen doesn't work, the pistil likely will.

Nate

o

I got fairly good pollen coverage on Fancy Border and Belle Cook - put hang tags on them so I will know if they "took" or not......I could see the pollen on there, so know it got good coverage - but it may not be viable. I did put Fancy Border [who has wonderful fluffy pollen] on the seedling, so will see if that takes. I did it while it was still cool, and put the potted seedling in the shade where it is cooler. Its a beautiful bloom - I took a photo, will edit and post it when I get a minute. The cross is from Moments Rich In Blessings from Carpenter. Would sure like it to be able to have some useful pollen!

o

It's been my experience that daylilies that have pale yellow pollen are mostly pollen-sterile. I have a gorgeous seedling that I plan to register this year. The good thing about it is that it is very pod-fertile. Its genes that contain both exceptional beauty and vigor outweigh that defect and are well worth passing down. It is loaded with pods this year and time will tell as to its progeny.

Nancy

o

Thanks for the info - I will not try to pollinate with this one anymore - now I know! I did try to set a pod on it, so will see what happens there. I dont see many lilies with this kind of pollen, and didnt know if it was a defect or just that day's pollen. Know I can always count on correct information on this forum - thanks so much!
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here