Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Funky Freaks and Frilly Flowers on Friday

shive
10 years ago

When I say freaks, I mean it in the kindest way, the freaks of nature sort of way.

FAD GADGET decided to do some extreme pinching today

TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC, a reverse bitone has this odd gray brown color in the morning but by evening is all dark purple. A Moldovan cultivar out of tet Trahlyta, it has fabulous branching and bud count.

MEXICAN MAGIC barely survives here, but I enjoy its unusual colors and applique pattern so much

JAZZ AFTER FIVE is finally blooming. It was worth the wait. Thanks for the trade Kay!

BOILED SHRIMP

BOHEMIA AFTER DARK

LAST SNOWFLAKE

FLAMINGO PARADE

GREEN ILLUSION

SILVER RINGS

RUBY LIPSTICK trio

ELEGANT CANDY

More to come later. I took so many photos today, it may take a couple of days to work them.

Debra

Comments (32)

• jkayd_il5
    10 years ago

Finally Last Snowflake! Mine does not have scapes yet or that I noticed anyway. I love that Ruby Lipstick.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow. JAZZ AFTER FIVE is gorgeous. I LOVE that one..
    BOHEMIA AFTER DARK is a beauty, too. and I have admired your LAST SNOWFLAKE for several years, its gorgeous. and also FLAMINGO PARADE is a beauty. and naturelly I woulsd love GREEN ILLUSION too, as it looks so much like wonder of it all... SILVER RINGS is a beauty, too, I really love that one, too.ELEGANT CANDY is always a beauty. mine has bloomed and bloomed. it taking a rest now. haven't looked to see if any reblooms on it. too hot outside to look around. much more confortabkle inside.

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Flowers from the future ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    OMG they are all soo beautiful, no way to pick a 1 or 2 favorites, and great photography.
    I have a noid doing the same as your Fad Gadget on it's early blooms. I called it weird :) or piched or pleated - confuse those two. But the effect looks cool.
    Looove the whites, Last Snowflake has been on my wish list forever, hope Maryott will carry it so I can have it too. Green Illusion is gorgeous!
    Very lovely color on Boiled Shrimp and Flamingo Parade, though BS's name doesn't appeal to me for some reason.
    Jazz After Five is super pretty, Silver Rings - so nice and symmetrical, love it.
    Love Ruby Lipstick trio! I could go on and on, they are all so beautiful

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful. My favorites are TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC, FLAMINGO PARADE and RUBY LIPSTICK. I can't pick just one.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jkayd- If your Last Snowflake doesn't have buds yet, that's probably a good thing. It's going to be very late. It's more of a midseason bloomer here. It started blooming a couple of days ago.

Jean - I'm glad you liked so many of these. Elegant Candy does really well for me even though its planted in part shade. It's the only one in that bed that has a lot of buds.

Nat - Fad Gadget does look like a flower from the future, or maybe another planet. I love it though.

Rita - I'm surprised to you picked Teddy Bear's Picnic. It was a bonus I almost got rid of. The amazing thing about it is how it get darker and darker purple throught the day - even while everything around it is fading. I'll have to take an evening shot in the next few days.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

those bright pinks on the shrimp and flamingo get my vote! very pretty. :)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Amazing daylilies today. Teddy Bear's picnic is really cute, I see why I like it when you say it is from Trahlyta. I always admired Trahlyta & got it a few years ago. It finally died after doing virtually nothing. Never saw it bloom, so who knows, maybe it wasn't even Trahlyta. I love the look of Mexican Magic, but if it doesn't do that well for you, I guess it sure wouldn't do well for me. Oh well. Love the color on Flamingo parade. Silver Rings is really pretty too, & Ruby Lipstick. Oh well, I like them all!

• jkayd_il5
    10 years ago

I guess I unintentional lied. I just came from outside and Last Snowflake does have scapes and small buds. They must have shot up in the last few days. We have had rain and hot weather.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Teddy Bear gets its odd coloring and triangular eye from Trahlyta. By the way, I have Trahlyta on my list to move out to make room for more seedlings. Would you like to try again with that one. Let me know..

JKayd - The scapes on those lates come up very quickly.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

a lovely day of beautiful bloomers. I always love Jazz After Five and Ruby Lipstick. I also quite like Silver rings and Flamingo Parade. Green Illusion is a pretty one too.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Ruby Lipstick is always a favorite but Flamingo Parade is a stunner as well.
    All beautiful even the "funky" ones.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - Jazz After Five is just a delicious shade of lavender purple. Great color!

Julia - I remember you liked Flamingo Parade last year too. Did you ever get it?

Debra

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Man, that Boiled Shrimp is such a great color! Is that coral a constant thing or an effect of the weather?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mnclerk - Boiled Shrimp is always coral. The color just gets more intense as the sun shines on it. The bloom was a wonderful tropical color tonight after a 96 degree day. The other coral, Flamingo Parade, was a washed out mess.

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

You really have some awesome daylilies! They all look so perfect. It was well worth the wait until now. Yum, Boiled Shrimp and Elegant Candy look good enough to eat.

How do you get your backgrounds so dark? Do you get up before daylight to take pics or what?

We had 100 degree weather today and the only color left in the daylily garden at 5 P.M. was purple - seems that color endures more sun than other ones. I left my broad-brimmed sun hat and digital camera out on a garden bench early this morning, thinking I'd go back and take more pictures later. I forgot about it while working on the Focus on Reds post and dealing with Photobucket. When I finally remembered it, it was as ruffled as daylily edges. Thank goodness the camera didn't melt or I'd be in big trouble with my DH!

Does everyone have Ruby Lipstick except me? It is utterly gorgeous. Maybe I could grow it in one of those big wooden-looking tubs they sell at Lowe's as there's no ground space for any new daylilies until seedlings are eliminated in the fall.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancry - I do try to be outside taking photos by 6:15 a.m., earlier if I know a special seedling is going to open for the first time.The light is so perfect between 6:15 and 6:45. Some of my beds are in bright shade until later in the morning, and the backgrounds in photos of those is darker.

I think I was the first one to have Ruby Lipstick, and then Rita and Kay got theirs. Then I sold some fans of mine to a couple of other forum members. It is a wonderful daylily, but it sulks a bit after being divided. Mine didn't start blooming for three years. It is a hard dormant. Can you grow dormants there in Texas?

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Debra, dormants don't normally do well here over the long haul. They might be O.K. for a few years, but then go into a decline. I've had Red Volunteer for three years now, and it has done amazingly well until this summer. It doesn't seem as happy as it has in the past. I hope I don't lose it.

The 100-degree temperature today just wreaked havoc with our daylilies. There was little resemblance, if any, between late P.M. blooms and those from this morning. Last night we were able to water, a la Conroe water restrictions, but it didn't take long today for desert-like weather to ruin all my remaing pretty blooms. And to think we have 3.5 months of this still to endure.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - I just hate those 100 degree days. We had such a long stretch of them last year. I'm so glad June has been milder this year. This is the first really day the heat has been bad in the evening.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Mexican Magic has little magic here--just not vigorous. I think I will have to try Boiled Shrimp.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - I agree with you about the vigor of Mexican Magic. Boiled Shrimp is marvelous. The color just glows. I've got to say Curt Hansons daylilies hold up to the heat better than any others I have - that one included.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Debra: No, I didn't get it yet. I got sidetracked with other ones I wanted this year and of course, the money tree wasn't producing so I've gone on a hiatus. :-(.
    Does Ruby Lipstick and Flamingo Parade get to the registered heights and budcount?

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Well as usual you made it impossible to pick a favorite they all look great even though it's been so hot.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Another group of beauties! I was thinking of getting Teddy Bear's Picnic so was very happy to see your picture. Now it is definitely being ordered next spring. SILVER RINGS is a beautiful color and the white edging just makes it stand out. Does the color hold up in the heat? I love the color of GREEN ILLUSION. And, of course, there's RUBY LIPSTICK - beautiful daylily and beautiful shot. Marg

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

That's the best photo of Fad Gadget I've seen, and the pinching looks amazing. Flamingo Parade is one I've thought about adding but wasn't sure about its tenderness here. I think Boiled Shrimp just made its way onto my wish list.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - The scapes on Ruby Lipstick usually grow to the registered height or taller. However this year the scapes are short, as are about three-fourths of my daylilies. I guess no rain for six months and 17 straight summer days with temperatures above 100 has that effect the following year. I still have Flamingo Parade in a pot, and even so it's scapes are about 30 inches this season. I suspect if I had it in the ground, the scapes would reach just about the 36-inch registered height. Most Florida bred daylilies do not reach their registered heights in my garden. Daylilies hybridized in the north, or dormants from anywhere, usually exceed the registration heights.

Marg - Silver Rings does not hold its color as well as some other purples I have. It does pretty well up to 90 degrees, but above that with high humidity it's a limp, faded dishrag. I was taking note of the purples that DID hold their color last evening when it was still 91 degrees outside. These still looked fabulous:
    1. REGAL FANTASY, which does get shade from 2:30 p.m. looked the best.
    2. GRAPE TWIZZLER, despite full sun all day
    3. My Cosmic Sensation seedling, which does get full sun all afternoon and into the evening. I was very pleased about that.
    4. CAMEROON NIGHT, which gets some afternoon shade
    5. Curt Hanson's BELA LUGOSI, INTEGRATED LOGISTICS and SPARTACUS ADORNED (All Hanson plants I have look good at the end of the day no matter how hot the temps get. That's why I keep adding his to my garden.)

Chris - Boiled Shrimp is definitely worthy of the wish list. I recommend you put it near the top. And I vow to get it out of the pot and into the ground soon, so it can start multiplying.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Debra, enjoy all your fabulous photos, but especially like the comments about the flowers and how they do for you. I thought Flamingo Parade was great, until you said it fizzled into a mess in the evening, so now I will forget it and take a hard look at Boiled Shrimp( not my favorite name) for I really like the color--actually, I just looked it up on AHS and I like the stats, no bud count listed, but maybe find out about that from you or someone else. Because we have hot summers, I am concentrating more and more trying to find out how the flowers hold up at the end of the day. Avedon

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon - I'm needing to downsize drastically to have room for the plants I have in pots, and the 100 seedlings I have growing in cups and pots. So standing up to the heat is one of the factors I'm taking into consideration. Also unless a bloom is really unique, if I'm not using it for hybridizing, it will pack up and move.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I just realized today is Friday. How come none of you told me I was on the wrong day yesterday? LOL When it's daylily peak and you're on Summer Break it's hard to tell which day of the week it is.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

My DH and I were just studying the picture of Ruby Lipstick. It's almost like a portrait, not just a snapshot of a plant. You do some amazing work with your camera. The daylilies are beautiful of course, but you really have the art of displaying them at their very best. Well done.....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Thank you! Getting a good picture is just a matter of finding the right light. The light wasjust perfect in the bed where Ruby Lipstick is.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Debra. I really like the odd coloring on TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - Some people love it and some people hate it. I think I'm neutral. It does have fabulous plant habits.

Debra