Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's sunny, sizzling Saturday blooms

shive
11 years ago

Today we've got a couple of ffo's, some rebloomers, and several ML and late bloomers.

BOCA RATON reblooming

BAJA CALIFORNIA ffo - I'm sure the extreme temps have bleached some of the color out of this one. This is one of my new Trimmers. The cats broke the first scape off back in May. This is rebloom!

AMBER FINALE just scoffs at the heat.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

MISS GOLDIE GOLD DIGGER ffo

Late bloomers bed - Mainly Wizard's Wish and Lavender Stardust. Both bloom very late into the season for me.

Closeup of WIZARD'S WISH

DANCE AGAIN

MUTTON JADE, an exceptionally good late with instant rebloom scapes.

BEST FOR LAST - Faded from the heat, but still looking soft and pretty.

Debra

Comments (14)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

GEE DEBRA: You certainly make it hard to pick a favorite.They are all so pretty.Guess I like WIZARDS WISH the best, With BAJA, CALIFORNIA in second place.and the last one for third place :)

jean

• nat4b
    11 years ago

You have beautiful lates for sure!
    Baja California kinda reminds me of the one I liked in your other thread, Lake Tahoe. I like both Lavender Stardust and Wizard's Wish with their bicolor/bitone look. Love all the yellows, Mutton Jade looks especially nice. They are all pretty, can't pick a favorite :)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Very, very pretty. But I am going with the lates. A lovely trio of AMBER FINALE. A great duo of WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS and my favorite is that glowing gold of MISS GOLDIE GOLD DIGGER.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Mutton Jade is enticing with its slight coral suffusion. Just enough edge; not overly decorous.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - Wizard's Wish is a wonderful bicolor and a daylily that always blooms late for me, even though it isn't registered as a late.

Nat - Baja California, an EM rebloomer, does have similar in coloring to Lake Tahoe Autumn, a late rebloomer. It's supposed to be a bigger bloom, and when it's established is should have a higher bud count. Trimmer is into pink oranges with red eyes and edges.

Rita - Long live those three lates. I look forward to seeing how they perform in your garden.

Mantis - Nice description of Mutton Jade!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

They are very pretty. I noticed a lot of fading this morning on my blooms.

I like We are the Champion and Best For Last.
    kay

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I'd have a hard time choosing between the first two.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Baja California and Best For Last are my favorites. Lots of nice ones. Mine are fried so it's a good thing I have the photos from earlier..Ellie

• caliloo
    11 years ago

All really nice but my favorites are BEST FOR LAST and BOCA RATON (which is STUNNING)!

Thanks for posting the gorgeous blooms - they look great even in the heat!

Alexa

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

You certainly have had your share of hot weather. Boca Raton would be my favorite. Good substance?

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Some real beauties for a hot Saturday. Boca Raton and Wizard's Wish are my two favorites.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia - I would rate Boca Raton medium on the substance scale. It does seem to love the heat, and its color and edge look better (in the mornings) with temps in the 100s. With some afternoon shade, Boca Raton made it through the 109 degree day looking better than most of my daylilies.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I scrolled up and down a few times and decided I love them all equally. What a lovely selection of beauty you have, even in the sweltering heat. As always, your photos were a treat. I read that you won't be posting as much now and I am sad about that, but I know yours started so much earlier and are getting to the end. Mine are just starting so I will have to carry the torch...haha.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste - Yes, you Northerner will have to carry the torch through July and August. I'll still be posting one or two times a week - just not every day.

Debra