Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Rituals, Bandits and Warblers for Saturday

shive
10 years ago

Please excuse the Bermuda grass in my photos. It has overtaken some of the beds. I planned to lift the daylilies and kill the grass in the spring, but it was too rainy. By the time I got a stretch of dry weather, scapes were up and didn't want to break any. So I've just been weed eating around the daylilies. But some of the grass seemed pretty tall again this morning.

BLACK FALCON RITUAL

BLUE EYED BANDIT had the bluest eye this morning! It likes cooler nights.

BETTIE LOUISE PRINCE

LEXINGTON LACE

KENTUCKY LUCKY is blooming in the foliage, but it's loaded with buds - all my Rice cultivars are!

CERULEAN WARBLER duet

STARBASE ALPHA with a different look today

TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC has a different shape today too.

RASPBERRY WINTER

MUSICAL MEDLEY

CAREFREE SUNSET

ZIPPORAH

Debra

Comments (25)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one of my Back Scratcher babies. I love the way the colors looked today and the crispation.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

betty louise is awesome!!1 but the balck falcon is my favorite. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one of my first seedlings out of Chance Encounter. I like it because it blooms ML, and always provides some color in that part of the border when everthing else is finished.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, whos going to notice any grass with blooms like this.I don't see now grass, just beautiful blooms. love this BETTIE LOUISE PRINCE . its very pretty.. and good grief,
    LEXINGTON LACE is a beauty.ZIPPORAH is gorgeous and Ilove this other baby, too.. last photo.beautiful.

jean

• phaltyme21
    10 years ago

Oooooo that Chance Encounter is certainly a beauty. Of
    course, it has one parent (at least) that is beautiful.

How about Lexington Lace, is one of its parents Lexington
    Avenue? I know it is an old plant but it is still beautiful in my garden.

Kay (phal21)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jean! I like Bettie Louise because she looks so different from my other pinks.

Kay - The other parent of the Chance encounter seedling is most likely Never Been Kissed or Spiritual Corridor. Lexington Avenue, a gorgeous Munson, is not in the background of Mort Morss' Lexington Lace. The Daylily World guys gave it that name the year after they moved from Florida to the Lexington, KY area.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 22:28

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I love STARBASE ALPHA and I still like TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC. Most unusual coloring.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Okay, I, of course, love Cerulean Warbler. the eye on
    Blue Eyed Bandit is beautiful! so very blue. Black Falcon Ritual, I love and was sure it would be my favorite, and I really like your Back Scratcher baby. But I WANT your chance encounter seedling. Love the color and the form.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

My Black Falcon Ritual is not so dark as yours. I like the sharp contrast between throat and petal color on your Chance Encounter seedling. Does Teddy Bear's Picnic have a base color similar to the Coffee to Go that Floota is always raving about? Zipporah--I immediately recognized the name as referring to one of Moses' wives ("one man, one woman" is actually not the norm in the Judaic scriptures). Such knowledge is one of the few (and I do mean "few") benefits of having grown up in an evangelical family.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

The blues win my heart today - super color on Blue Eyed Bandit and Cerulean Warbler. Don't worry about the grass - we don't look at it, 'cause we all have to deal with it. Black Falcoln Ritual is splendid!

Nancy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Oh, you're killing me with those photos of Cerulean Warbler. Every time I see one of your photos . . .

Betty Louise Prince looks like it's settled in nicely for you.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita and Mantis - I don't know if Teddy Bear's Picnic has a base color like Coffee To Go or not. But here's how it looks by evening. As the day wears o,n it becomes more and more purple, even losing the eye by evening.

TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - My photo of Black Falcon Ritual was taken in the shade where it does look darker. Here's a photo taken in the early morning sun. The color is still dark, but with a reddish cast.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Black Falcon Ritual is always beautiful! I love the pinks today though, CAREFREE SUNSET is such a perfect pink, and then there is the beautiful RAsp Winter. Love your Backscratcher & Chance Encounter seedlings too. So nice to have late blooming plants.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To both Kays and Nancy - It flatters me that you like the Chance Encounter seedling so much. Planted in part shade and covered up by three other seedlings, it has never had more than 11 buds and has only increased to four fans. While the early blooms are 5 inches, the later ones are in the 4 inch range. I had never considered it for introduction because of those stats. However I'm planning on moving it to an evaluation seedling bed to see if it improves in bud count and bloom size. It is a pretty little face to see blooming in the later part of the season.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Cerulean Warbler always, Black Falcon Ritual, Bettie Louise Prince, and Lexington Lace, my favs out of a very good group. Love the seedlings--we have what must be a chance seedling but for sure, one parent is Chance Encounter-just can't miss that look. I am going back in my pictures to look for it and post it so you can tell me what you think. Avedon

• User
    10 years ago

Your Backscratcher Baby looks pretty amazing to me. Very nice seedling. I also absolutely love the Black Phantom Ritual and Blue Eyed Bandit - just put them on my list for next year!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Avedon and Hosta Buff! Black Falcon Ritual is one that always looks wonderful. I'm still growing it in a pot, so the plant habit isn't as its best. I hope to get in the ground by fall. LOL I've been saying that for four years now.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I hope you do give your chance Encounter seeding another chance :) Maybe it will be better in more sun. Of course, the color may not be so pretty, but who knows. I am the one who has such a hard time getting rid of seedlings though. I've been going through mine, have several reds, various shades & sizes, & am having such a hard time whittling them down.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - It's very hard for me to get rid of seedlings too. So far I've only trashed two - one because it was so ugly and the other becaused it faded so badly by noon.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All very nice.
    Black Falcon Ritual will show dark here too when shaded but in the sun, it will show more reddish tones. Always a good performer here.
    The bloom in the lower part of the pic (2012)is shaded and the others in full sun.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a great photo of Black Falcon Ritual, Julia! Yours looks even darker than mine.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

This photo was taken after a light rain. It is actually darker than reality.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:48

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Yours looks good! Is it a new plant for you?

debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

This is the first year that Black Falcon Ritual is blooming in the garden. We will see what later blooms look like under different weather conditions.