Lord Trickster

Westbourne Strawberry Icing

Cherrystone

Wild Cherry Roundup

Westbourne Teresa's Birthday Party

Comments (25)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Such intense colors, Rita. I like Barney here but Spacecoast Dream Catcher is a close second.
    kay
    kay

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Some questions about performance: Does Wild Cherry Roundup have better bud count than it did in the past for you? What Spacecoasts perform well in your garden? How does Extravagant perform? I appreciate your willingness to frankly evaluate cultivars.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I really like SC Dreamcatcher and Extravagant! What great coloring!

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

That is a whole lot of wonderful. I am still in love with Barney.

Edward

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mantis- I call them as I see them although others may differ. It is just the performance in my garden that really matters to me. Wild Cherry Roundup has its usual bud count. I went and looked at all the scapes. One has four, some five and some six buds. Pretty bad huh? Add that to the fact that the first few flowers never open up all the way and it really is a real dog in my garden. If it wasn't that the flowers are so pretty it would have been gone long ago. When I am looking for ones to go later this season I bet it moves right out of here.

Extavagant is doing well, looks really good with the saturated colors this year.

Dream Catcher is the only spacecoast I have unless there are others by that hybridizer here that don't carry the spacecoast name. I did used to have at least five or six but they were all kicked out for poor performace or excessive splotchiness or I got them as bonus and when they bloomed I didn't like them. I will never get rid of Dream Catcher as it is SOOOOO beaitiful.

Kay- I was looking at some pictures from last year plus also remembering. The colors ARE much more intense this year. Last year they were much paler than normal due to our exessive heat. This year it has been cool except for a day here or there.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, edward and crackingtheconcrete. Barney is one of my favorites and Dream Catcher is such a lovely flower. Extravagant is back to its intense color after not being as dark last year.

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

OOOH, OOOH, I love WESTBOURNE WHIPPORWILL CALL. I bet this one is spectacular in a clump.

Christine

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Rita,

Yes, the heat here fades colors to some extent. that is one reason I am happy with Bear Claswa sn Jazz After five. they don't fade. and they are deep colors. Yours are really intense this year.
    kay

• bourret
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures Rita. I love the saturated colors.

Lisa

• jakejones
    12 years ago

Great pix of great hems! THANK YOU!

Either you took them early in the morning or set the exposure back a step or two, I would guess. They came out great.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

So much stunning color. wow! Dream Catcher is so wonderfully intense. Sorry to hear about Wild Cherry Roundup. It was on a wish list for a new Coral Pink bed I am working on. Thanks for the pretties to drool over. Looking forward to the ongoing show.
    Elizabeth

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christine - I don't remember seeing Westbourne Whipperwill Call blooming lots of flowers at once. Maybe it will be clumped up enough this year to do so. It was one I saw and just had to have.

Last year doesn't count as we had record breaking heat and heat spell and I had never seen my daylilies that pale. But still, I have taken all my prior years pictures with my old Kodak DC 290. I had bought a Kodack Z980 two years ago tried it for pictures and hated the results. They have this "wonderful" feature they tout. Smart capture fills in the backround shade to make it stand out. Well, it makes each setting on the camera take pictures which are light and washed out as far as flowers go. I tried Smart capture, portrait, landscape and sport modes. Same deal. A purple daylily would come out rose colored. I hated it and never used the camera just used my old one.

This year I decided to learn to use my new one. I have to use a manual mode and dial the exposure componsation down to pick up true colors. Plus I often shoot into shadows which really brings out the colors. But at least the daylilies are the correct true colors, at least on my moniter they are.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Elizabeth- Wild Cherry Roundup might do better for you than it does for me, who knows? It is a very pretty color.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Spacecoast Dream Catcher is a real beauty! Love Barney & Extravagant too. It is a shame Wild Cherry Roundup doesn't do better for you, it is very pretty. So Many Stars has a muddy pink look in my garden this year, I don't remember it looking like this last year. Yours is very pretty. I think my favorite is Westbourne Whipperwill Call

• shive
    12 years ago

My favorite is Westbourne Whipporwill Call. What a distinctive flower. I'm in love with the eyezone and the pink color. My second favorite is Barney - sparkling purple color with wonderful ruffling!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy and Debra - Westbourne Whiperwill Call is just so different looking. At least in my garden nothing looks like it. When I saw it on the Lily Auction afew years ago, I just had to have it. But then, I really like Westbourne intros anyway.

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Spacecoast Dream Catcher is my pick from this group. What a great color. I do like the bold eye on Lord Trickster
    cindy

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

Oh, I've missed Barney - good to see him again! Westbourne Whipperwill Call is quite unique.
    Kathy

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

Great group! Spacecoast Dreamcatcher and Barney are my favorites.
    Val

• opnjmprs
    12 years ago

My favorites are Westbourne Whiperwill Call and Wild Cherry Roundup. I've been meaning to add Wild Cherry Roundup to the garden for some time now....your pics have convinced me I should do it sooner rather than later. Linda

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Rita;You really have some beauties blooming now.And BARNEY is back, gorgeous as ever.He is certainly a beautiful Daylily.I also like W. WHIPPERWILL CALL. its very different and beautiful. Love W.STRAWBERRY ICING too. GORGEOUS bloom.

Jean

• mizellie
    12 years ago

In this group, I like Barney .. of course I like them all but felt I had to pick just one of these!! Ellie

• houstmag
    12 years ago

All lovely but after much thought I think I've narrowed it down to four favorite picks Extravagant, Westbourne Whipperwill Call, Barney and Spacecoast Dream Catcher.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. I was glad to see Barney open yesterday, means there will lots more blooms to come. In fact another is open this morning.

• casey261
    12 years ago

WILD CHERRY ROUNDUP is so pretty. Too bad it doesn't perform well for you. Your photo of SPACECOAST DREAM CATCHER is fabulous, I love how you can see the texture of the flower, and such a pretty flower too.
    Casey

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH