Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

My Most Improved Seedling

shive
10 years ago

This seedling's bloom hasn't changed much since last year, but branching and bud count sure have. This Back Scratcher kid went from 14 buds per scape last year to 26 and 28 buds on the scapes that get the most sun this year. And I still haven't gotten it out of part shade. It has 3-4 way branching. The blooms are in the 7-inch range.

Trimmer seedling X Back Scratcher

Another bloom on the clump

Here's one of heavily budded scapes!

You may remember this photo of it from last year:

Here are the parents:

Mama: Trimmer seedling "Laughing Hyena"

Papa: Dan Hansen's Back Scratcher

Now if I could just get it in full sun, so it would multiply better.

Debra

Comments (17)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Debra: That is really something. All that beauty and lots of it too. Congratulations........Maryl

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful seedling. Gorgeous bloom and excellent stats. Wow! You are really doing wonderfully well as a hybridizer.
    kay

• deangreen
    10 years ago

very nice! really like the contrast of that bright midrid with the color!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - It's an ML bloomer, so with that many buds it should continue blooming very late.

Thanks Kay! I've really been blessed with some nice seedlings. And I've become so addicted to seeing the new ones bloom.

Dean - I usually don't care for midribs, but it seems to perk up the bloom on that one.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 14:27

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, it's a beauty! I don't know if they are true midribs, they kinda look like rays from the bright throat and are very becoming and on sepals too. And great improvement, esp not in full sun. Congrats!
    I like mama and papa too. That's a great idea to show a kid with both parents

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nat! I always like to see what the seedling parents look like. With one parent being a seedling, I thought it would be good to post the photo. I'm pretty impressed that "Laughing Hyena" doesn't pass on the brown tones of other bitoned toothies. Most of Gossards toothy cultivars have a brown undertone, but my seedling doesn't.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW!! Debra, I like that seedling better then either of the parents. The baby is a beauty. You got you a winner, there.I love it.

jean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Totally gorgeous, you must be a proud "mama". The stats really improved from last year to this, wonder what will happen next year? Avedon

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I really like that Trimmer seedling "Laughing Hyena" . And yours is great. Anything that is such a bloom machine is a winner in my book.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I like both the parents, but the seedling is even better, I think you have a real winner.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Beautiful seedling. When are you going to share it with the rest of the world?

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Someday when I have enough fans. I only have five right now. It only multiplied by one fan after last year's drought. If I get it in full sun, it should at least double every year. So maybe in three years.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

This definitely looks like an intro to me. Great color, great teeth and nice bud count. What more could you want?

• houstmag
    10 years ago

WOW what a great looking seedling. It's s keeper in my book not only gorgeous but look at all those blooms.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments.

Debra

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Great seedling.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The recurved sepals and strongly darting throat definitely give this one personality.