Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Saturday's shady ladies and sunnny gents

shive
10 years ago

I'm seeing fewer bugs and less bug damage on the blooms today. The telltale sign was on my one bloom of Arctic Lace. It was three-fourths eaten by 6 a.m.

SACRED GROUND had such pretty color today.

BETTER THAN EVER (Clown Parade's mama!)

BULLFROG KISSES

FORSYTH FROSTBOUND trio

KARELIA - I almost didn't recognize this one on its ffo. The label had faded - they have on most of my pots - and the bloom was smaller than the last time I saw it two years ago. I thought I'd lost it last year after it didn't bloom, and considered reordering it from Blueridge last week when I won a couple of his auctions. Glad I didn't!

MY GIRL - After two weeks of blooms, I finally got some that weren't bug damaged!

FUJITANI is another of my appliques. It's by Mike Longo, owner of The Lily Auction. I like its very clear, clean colors.

Debra

Comments (20)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love, love, love, love, love BULLFROG KISSES.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rita! It's been open for a few days now. But the other blooms were splotchy and misshapen. I was happy to see a good one today. I love, love, love that one when it opens well.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Bullfrog Kisses i such an eyecatcher! I am so glad you are getting some control of the bugs! I miss these gorgeous pictures that make me drool and spend money. Fujitana is different, but very attractive. I've already chosen Forsyth's Frostbound before, I always love it, and who wouldn't love Clown Parade's Mama? They are all beauties, but when you post Bull Frog Kisses, I can't see past it to anything else for a favorite.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

From our long cool wet spring to temperatures approaching 100 with no lead in from the cool days, I don't know how my daylilies have done as well as they have so far. Still there's lots of splotchiness and a few non openers here too, but hopefully things will settle down. As to your daylilies - well, I have to join the "chorus" on Bullfrog Kisses. That's a WOWZER for sure. I like daylilies with that white star so Forsyth's Frostbound appeals to me too. Then there's My Girl. I came this close to getting it years ago, and from your picture I missed out. Looking forward to more from you......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Better Than Ever grows well here too. Blooms are a bit smaller than i would like, but they are consistent and hold well. Sacred Ground is indeed pretty--but I wouldn't touch that ground with a ten-foot pole. As I've noted before, Forsyth Frostbound is not a strong grower here.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I'd be happy to have any of these in my garden. You're right about the color on sacred ground. I always thought it was pretty, but not a knockout like today's photo.

I'm guessing you're happier with Ruby Lipstick than Bullfrog Kisses? I like the looks of both.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Thrips go after Ruby Lipstick as much as Bullfrog Kisses. That one always gets a systemic. While Ruby Lipstick has proven itself here. I'm still evaluating Bullfrog Kisses. It came through the drought and our winter like a champ and multiplied from two to five fans. But its bud count is low. So is Ruby Lipstick's compared with past performances. Ruby Lipstick and I have a lot of history, so Bullfrog Kisses would have to really perform a high level to become my favorite red eyed cultivar.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Debra, I am sure that I was crazy for Bullfrog Kisses last year also. It just is so pretty.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Wow, Debra, these really are fantastic blooms - all of them. But....I've been wanting BULLFROG KISSES for what seems like forever. So it gets my vote for the favorite.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Chris, do you have a new e-mail? The old one does not work.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW!!!! Debra, I just LOVE, LOVEA THAT SACRED GROUND its gorgeous. all of them are so pretty, li like them all. and the last one is gorgeous, too.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Mantis, I sent you an e-mail with my new address.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All so lovely! Love Clown Parade mama, Bullfrog Kisses is awesome, and my third favorite is Forsyth Frostbound, because it's pretty and I have it :) Waiting for scapes on mine

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I'm jumping on the Bandwagon and picking Bullfrog Kisses, but I also like Better Than Ever and apparently it's a good parent.
    Val

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, I'm following the crowd too & picking Bullfrog Kisses for my favorite. KARELIA is a beauty too, glad you didn't lose it.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - I got such a good seedling from Karelia, I wanted to use her as a parent again. Plus, she is a beauty for the garden.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - I got such a good seedling from Karelia, I wanted to use her as a parent again. Plus, she is a beauty for the garden.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

What a stunning group of daylilies I don't think I can pick a favorite great looking photos to.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I don't much like midribs but on that forsyth dayliy it has just the right effect. very nice!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean - In general I don't like midribs either, but it does add to eye appeal on Forsyth Frostbound.

Mantis - You are right about FF's performance. It never has many buds - not even with fertilizing or being in full sun. It has increased rapidly with those conditions, so I have a lot of scapes now. And I did have rebloom on two scapes last year. So I keep it around because of its unique look and because it's one of my husband's favorites.

Debra