Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

An ffo, some rebloom and clumps on Friday

shive
11 years ago

My newer lates are starting to bloom, and several cultivars are beginning to rebloom today. I'm getting tired of the sweltering tempertures, but they're not going away for awhile.

ALWAYS APPLIQUE - I joked in the two previous years that this one should have been named "Never Applique," but this year it has shown the applique pattern on nearly every bloom in the large clump. Also, in the past this daylily refused to set a pod. This time, I have a dozen pods maturing.

ANNETTE'S MAGIC, a new one I got last fall, is just beginning to bloom.

GLITTER GAL, a Jerry Mix late bloomer, had its ffo today.

BLAZING SADDLE's last bloom

ABSOLUTE TREASURE from last night. This is one of my heat busters.

BLUETHROAT just started reblooming today. This one has never rebloomed before.

MEET JOE BLACK started its rebloom today also. He has not rebloomed in previous years.

RUBY LIPSTICK made a pretty clump today. This is the first time in several years this one hasn't had instant rebloom scapes.

SKULLDUGGERY had five big, bright blooms this morning.

Seedling Karelia X Palace Garden Beauty

Debra

Comments (18)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I really like your seedling! Other ones I like are Blazing Saddles, the Ruby Lipstick clump - always a beauty, and the eyecatching Skullduggery. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marg - Thanks for the nice compliment on the seedling! I'll really miss Blazing Saddles. I'm hoping it will rebloom as it has in the past.

Debra

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

BLAZING SADDLES really jumped out at me today. And then ABSOLUTE TREASURE was noteworthy because heat-busting is nothing to sneeze at. And the clump of RUBY LIPSTICK is gorgeous. It looks like it is just a great garden plant.
    Christine

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Well, they are all super pretty as usual. But the two clump shots get my vote for favorite. RUBY LIPSTICK is outstanding and SKULLDUGGERY is putting on quite the show with all those blooms.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

GLITTER GAL is the one that really caught my eye with that wonderful color. It looks like a really large flower. I like Bluethroat too. Ruby Lipstick would be my favorite though, but I'm trying to take into consideration that it has an unfair advantage in being a clump :)

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

Debra,

How glittery is Glitter Gal? Is she pretty color-fast since she's a late bloomer when it's really hot?

Just beautiful!

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine and Rita - I've been holding off on photographing Skullduggery until I could get a nice group shot. It had six flowers open yesterday, but I didn't have time to take pictures because I was gone to a daylong work trainng. Ruby Lipstick is a treasure. It's a great garden plant, as well as a hybridizer's delight.

Nancy - Glitter Gal is in the 6-inch range. It bloomed for the first time last year, but the color was not as intense and the edge was not this good.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to your annual evaluations--best bud count, color, etc. Bud count here is not good this year. For some, it's a challenge just to keep buds from shriveling up. I suppose some cultivars have more scapes, making up for lower bud count. Is Skullduggery one of those?

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

SKULLDUGGERY is wonderful and my favorite. Very nice pic of it.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!! Some more beauties today.I love GLITTER GAL. and the clump shot of RUBY LIPSTICK is very pretty, too
    SKULLDUGGERY is really a looker, too.Very pretty.and my favorite one is GLITTER GAL

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mantis and Julia - I think Skullduggery is only registered as having 15-16 buds. Mine, still in a pot, only has 6-8 buds per scape this year. I don't think I've ever had more than 15 buds per scape, and that was probably in the first year I had it. In the past, it's been a very reliable rebloomer. Being in a pot for several years, it has not multiplied very quickly.

I have a lot - especially early bloomers - with very poor bud counts this year. We got NO rain to speak of in April, which is the opposite of what usually happens. I started watering my seedlings and the two beds by my seedling regularly in early May. The daylilies in those have much better bud counts than those I only watered a couple of times in May.

Jean and Anika - Glitter Gal is a nice one. It is not diamond dusted. Where it glitters is the edge. It has a double edge - gold wire - that does glitter - and a fluffy white and gold edge with some tendrils and knobs. It can melt on a 95-degree day unless it's kept well-watered. It does fade somewhat, but still has a pleasant lavender color at the end of the day. It multiplies very quickly.

Debra

• nat4b
    11 years ago

I can never resist your wonderful Ruby Lipstick, just gorgeous. The sepals look darker to me in this picture, and I see a seedpod, right?
    The other beautiful one I love is Glitter Gal, and it's late, how nice! Is it the same hybridizer of Sweet Prairie Wind?
    "Never Applique" LOL
    It's nice to have rebloom on those that haven't rebloomed before. Hope your RL will rebloom as well!

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Debra, i love that Always Applique. Looks as though it was worth the wait. Also Blazing Saddles and Skull Duggery. Love your seedling. Thewire edge is just enough to emphasize the beautiful eye... Ellie

• deangreen
    11 years ago

blue throat gets my vote. really like the applique one too. that effect always seems so interesting and new to me..

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

My picks are your seedling, Glitter Gal and Bluethroat. Have you posted Bluethroat before? I don't remember it.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat - Ruby Lipstick's sepals are darker today. I think it's because of the bug spray I applied last night to thwart the latest outbreak of thrips. You do see a seed pod. I have several on it, having crossed it with Lady Betty Fretz, Annabelle's Blush, Purify My Heart and Crazy Ivan. Glittler Gal is by the same hybridizer as Sweet Prairie Wind, but it was an earlier intro and is more commercially available.

Debra

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

OMG. Always Applique is the most beautiful daylily i have ever seen. I must have it.
    And your seedling ------ Oh!

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris and Pat - Thanks for the comments about my seedling!

Chris - I've had Bluethroat for 3 or 4 years and have posted photos before. It's very pretty in the morning, but it's eye fades by mid-afternoon.

Debra