Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Probably at Peak

organic_kitten
10 years ago

Clump shots from today. Have to go to DGS's birthday party this afternoon, so I'll post clump shots now and a few garden shots when I get home.

Phuilistine Champion: what a plant!

Spiderman:

Spacecoast Behavior Pattern with Christmas Celebrtion:

Pink Gingham:

Bill Watson with Remembering Elizabeth:

Little Light of Mine:

Reason For Treason:

Purple Honey Creeper:

My Heart Belongs to Daddy:

Roman Cohort:

Rennie's Delight:

Gillian:

I know that's too mnay, but it's peak, and that isn't nearly all.
kay

Comments (19)

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

It is never too many. They look great! I am at peak bloom, too.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

No, never too many. I just love clump shots anyway. You know my favorite has got to be Philistine Champion. Gorgeus. But then all of them are gorgeous.

• shive
    10 years ago

Wonderful clumps! I love all of them!

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

what great clump photos!! woo hoo. just beginning to bloom here. LATE! we cancelled our daylily show that was supposed to be yesterday, just no blooms any one of us. ha
    I was going to say the purple honey creeper was my favorite but then I saw next the heart belongs to daddy. so bold! dean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Love those clump shots, I declare all of them to be favorites, but I am happy to see My Heart Belongs To Daddy. Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, Kay, you got some beauties blooming.I love both of those in that 3rd picture, gorgeous.
    PURPLE HONEY creeper is a beauty and I love PINK GINGHAM too, but you know that already. gorgeous photos

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

You know I can never pick 1 favorite, but I am trying to keep it to just 2: Phuilistine Champion & purple honey creeper are those, but so very hard.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Awesome photos Kay. Love them all but the Purple Honey Creeper is outstanding.

Julia

• Cindy zone 6a
    10 years ago

It can never be too many!! What a great collection of group shots. I do like the pic of Purple Honey Creeper. And Little Light of Mine, so many blooms!

Cindy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous group of blooms! Purple Honey Creeper is again my favorite, and your shot of Christmas Celebration makes me wish mine had been hardier here. I had to cull that one because it was just too tender. Thanks, Kay!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gee thank all of you for looking and commenting. My garden has gotten so large it takes a long time to get the photos, and with the rain we had this week, the blooms just exploded. I knew I was right at peak when I walked out today.

Thanks, Kathy. You've had some lovely photos.

Rita, I thank you every time I look at Philistine Champion. What an outstanding bloomer it is!

Clumps are just neat, Debra. Dean, we were late starting, but wow! the blooms really started coming on fast after that.

Avedon, MHBTD has been a super bloomer this year. Much improved over last year.

Jean, Nancy, Julia, Cindy, and Chris, Purple Honey Creeper is blooming much more this (it's second) year than last, and Jean, as you already know Pink Gingham just blooms well always.

Nancy, Philistine Champion bloomed from the first like a well established clump. What a fine plant it is!

Cindy, Little Light of Mine has established a large clump with many blooms, but I think, few less than last year, so division is probably in order.

Chris, that is such a shame, It is a much prettier plant than I originally realized. That tree is putting too many plants in shade. It is getting a hair cut.

kay

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Kay, there's never too many. They are all beautiful and I would have a tough time choosing a favorite here. So many beauties and so little time.. Ellie

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

All vibrant and opening well. The Purple Honey Creeper is a standout. Does anyone else have experience with that one? I still find it hard to believe this is peak with so many buds on most of these clumps.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis and Ellie, thank you for looking. You may be right, Mantis. I usually realize It was peak the day after. Of course, Purple Honey Creeper is a Lambertson, and I have typically great success with his Introductions. In cooler areas, the reddish part should be more true purple.
    kay

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Oh My! These are all so stunning & incredible. You have so many that can be a favorite but the one that immediately called to me is 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy'....not just because I LOVE the way it looks, but I immediately loved it's name and thought of my dear daddy who my heart belongs to. I didn't know there was a daylily by this name. I get a lump in my throat knowing this, because I just came from seeing my Dad in his garden today and I think his mind is finally starting to go a little.
    Mom got the Alzheimers 10 years ago but Dad has always been so sharp....but today he didn't remember how to plant his veggie plants out and half the plants he started he has left dying in the sun because he keeps forgetting to water them. (You may recall I shared pictures of his amazing veggie garden last summer). He couldn't find his trowel even though it was right in front of him. I know at 90 he is still doing better than most, but he has always been Superman to me and it's hard to come to terms with him slipping away. I feel helpless too because I have no more room here to care for another person. Mom, grandbabies, daughters, cats, gardens, etc.....my hands are full.
    Anyway, I think your peak season is absolutely stunning and I love that you share the clump photos with us. Each and every one of these you posted is ravishing!
    Thanks for sharing them.

Celeste

• houstmag
    10 years ago

What a amazing group of daylilies all are stunning but I think Purple Honey Creeper is my favorite.
    Linda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Philistine Champion is on my long list, but with pictures like yours it may move up to my short list if room becomes available. Really great clump shot.......Maryl

• wren_garden
    10 years ago

Oh just beautiful. Love clump shots. I think they show the true beauty of any variety. Thank you for the show. Looking forward to the next installment.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY bloom here for the first time.

I got it last year relatively locally - a little further north and west of me, and, in total, about a 30 minutes' drive. But that's local road driving, with no passing zones, and with stop signs and stop lights. Celeste, that distance might not sound significant, but where I am now is quite a bit colder than our former place, which is about 35 minutes south. The land is increasingly hilly as you continue north, ie., colder. So the seller of MHBTD is probably in a colder area than I am.

I've been too busy these past few years to be conscientious about keeping garden & plant records, so I don't know how big my plant was when I got it. But I just went out to check, and I have six fans - and four scapes!

I'll try to remember to report back to you & others on the performance of MHBTD. Maybe you'll be able to grow it.

I'm so sorry about your dad. Family health and related issues have been a big part of my life these days, so I have an idea about what you're going through. I never saw pictures of your dad's vegetable garden, but I'd love it if you'd repost them some time - assuming nobody would mind?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner