Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Working on Projects again!

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I have been busy this past week.

Firt thing I want to show is my azalea shubs on the hill right off the patio that I cut way back. I do this every two years so that these right here don't grow really large and cut off the view to the things about it.

Yesterday I amused myself pounding in these green fence posts and putting up the trellis netting in the only path that cuts thru the big mid backyard beds.

Another view. I am planning on growing cucumber and melon on this trellis. I have started seedlings. I already have some cucumbers planted along this path but I needed to do something as this is the only place I can figgure out to plant the seedlings I have recently started.

These were green metal coated fence posts 7 feet that I got a Home Depot afew years ago. You can see how the trellis netting just hooks in the little hooks on the posts.

In keeping with the veggie crazies, I am doing Florida Weave on the tomato plants in the new veggie garden. No cages required!

And I strung sting in between the spaces on the tomato cages in my bean pots for them to wind up around.

It looks nice in the new veggie garden area.

The big project I have been working on for more than a week is a rose moving project from an area around the other side of the porch. I finished the moving yesterday. Five roses moved compleatly out of the garden and ten roses moved and relocated to other rose beds.

{{gwi:53914}}

Here is the dug out area.

Another view

{{gwi:53915}}

The green fence post I just laid out on the ground is measured 3 feet from the house. Veggies get planted on the outside of this line. I will be moving it out as I plan to put sunflowers there along by the house in front of the honeysuckle. I just need to get an idea of were 3 feet out was away from the house.

{{gwi:53916}}

Honeysuckle grows on a trellis along the house. This is not moving and staying exactly as it.

Comments (22)

• katladie
    11 years ago

Everything is so lush and green Rita, we are shriveling up in the heat here. I love the honeysuckle. sharon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have had a lot of rain here. The daylilies look like daylily jungle out there!

• katladie
    11 years ago

We had a lot of rain late winter and spring, then as the heat started coming in it stopped. Our pump to our water well burned up and we had to buy a new one. The pressure switch doesn't work as well as the old one and it won't run the sprinker, even though it is a larger pump. So I am having to water by hand. sharon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Rita, You Threw 5 roses away?. gee.That veggie garden sure looks nice and is really growing, too.You have really been busyI don't know how you keep going, with all your projects.Looks like the tomatoes are big enough to start having flowers on them, now.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, Wish you guys down south would get more rain.

Jean, I gave the roses away. They now have new homes but they are no longer in my garden. Some were duplicates, one I just couldn't stand and the last I really liked but since it is a climber, I had no other place to relocate it too.

Lots of the tomatoes (but not all) have flowers. And some even have fruit set already.

• shive
    11 years ago

You really do have the veggie crazies if you're sacrificing roses for more tomato space. How do you have the energy for all these projects? I'm warn out just from doing some weeding and photographing the daylilies.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, I was never really happy with the reduced veggie growing I was only able to do once I took over the mid backyard and turned it into a daylily and iris (mostly) garden. But it turned out so well. But I was busy with other projects but this year am able to address the lack of veggie space. I thought and thought and thought of where I could find more in ground space. Finially decided on this plan. Of course I under estamated the amount of roses that needed digging up. But Believe me, one will never notice that those roses left here. There are plenty of roses left. Plus I have moved roses here even more often than I move daylilies around. And I have moved out plenty of roses that just did not work out for one reason or another.

• shive
    11 years ago

Rita - I would think moving roses would be difficult because of the thorns.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Working in an establed rose bed to add more roses is difficult because the roses keep scratching me as I am trying to get the add ons planted. But the most difficult part is digging them up in the first place as I plant them very deeply.

Then of course I don't really have much in the way of paths for access. I managed to break off two scapes off daylilies there along the front of the rose garden as I was working in the area. But still haven't figgured out exacly how I managed that! Klutzy I guess.

I moved those lilies still shown in the pictures after I took those pictures and then I was measuring and working on layout for the area. The wind really came up something fierce and it started rainging so drove me inside. I am hoping it is just a passing shower so I can go back outside.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I love to see work in progress... it gives me the umph I need to keep at it in the garden. The heat here is treacherous as Kat said. I am going to make another veg. garden it's just that I've overwhelmed myself Rita by constantly adding more projects than I've really time for. (I've sort of an ADD approach to my gardening... sigh) You are awesome at beginning your projects and a few days later they are complete Rita. So wonderful and beautiful!!!! Thank you!!!
    Rena'

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know that I got it done all that quickly. It FELT like forever I have been working on moving those roses. Now to get it laid out in the best pattern for my new veggie space.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Rita you sure keep busy but everything looks wonderful if you ever run out of things to do in your yard (yeah right) I have a lot of work in my yard that could stand your magic touch.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I afraid I am always plotting up something to do in the garden!

It started to rain earlier, I had to stop working. But just a passing shower. The sun came back out and so did I. Got some more more done and then it got dark outside again and it just plain poured cats and dogs. Had to shut down the computer with the lightning. Again it is over, the sun is trying to come out. But everything is soaking wet and I just give up for the day on gardening.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I always break scapes when I work around them. I have decided they reach out and commit suicide. Everything looks wonderful! What roses left? Your veggie syupports are well thought out.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, I had a row of four double knockouts along in there and only had room to relocate two of them. Then one of the three Gingersnaps (orange floribundas) reverted to rootstock. Tossed that one in the trash. I had a big climbing Westerland along that porch railing and simply had no place that could take a climber. So I gave it away. I will miss it. But the white climber I also gave away I will not miss.

I really needed the netting so that I can have my cucumbers and melons climb on something. Then the Florida Weave for the tomatoes is something I decided to try as I had no more tomato cages. I am very pleased with the weaving.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I wish some of that rain would come here. MAY was our dryest month on record. it has come a sprinkle a few times.n ot enough rain to wet the ground,and I have to go out and water everything. I was soaked this evening when I finished, just sweating up a storm.its been in mid 90's today. and was windy early this morning, but this evening, not a twig moving.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am still working in there. Didn't get much done due to the rain but did measure and figgue out my layout. Pulled that green fence out another 10 inches as I was using it for a markler. I will put block edging in a line there hopefully today to show myself the line to plant outside of. I already moved in my three scraggly tomato plants that I needed to get planted.

I am going to have a trellis there about 6 feet long and high running angled to the house, sunflowers along the house, tomatoes out from there and then a space in front of tomatoes that I can put some greens or grow a few brocolli.

• 715rose
    11 years ago

Rita,you are a dynamo!I can remember back when you were just getting started in daylilies & would ask advice on which ones of the colors people liked. Now,I bet peeps ask you for advice LOL Good you are growing more vegies.I always say if I put half as much effort into growing vegies as flowers,I wouldn't need to buy many groceries.
    I love how if you don't care for something in a spot you just move the darn thing.And sometimes right off the place. You aren't afraid to try things. Just love it.Keep it up.
    rose,Iowa

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Rita, all your enthusiasm is contagious. And I have never heard of Florida weave. Just got done watching 2 youtube videos on how to do it. What a great idea. Thank you Rita.
    Christine

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Christine! I learned how to do the Florida Weave by watching Y-Tube videos myself. But I heard about it on the vegeatable forum, or maybe it was the tomato forum. One of those two. Then I googled, found the videos and knew that I wanted to try it. I love it! Had to do something because I ran out of tomato cages and didn't want to buy more.

Rose, I sure am glad I don't have to do all that work of putting in all the daylily beds that are here again. I don't think I have the energy! But I wanted an area for more veggies and really, that spot I moved the roses out of was what I thought up. It is going to look nice when I am done. Well, veggie gardens are not too ornamental but at least they can look neat and I want to grow more veggies than I had room for.

I am not afraid to move things around or change things in the garden. I just do whatever suits me. Sometimes I have to move plants compleatly outta here but no worries, I always have pleanty left lol!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I am still working on the project. I moved two more tomato plants in there from over in the back yard were they weren't doing well. The picture taken yesterday shows the three I planted yesterday. Over at the right side in the tomorow cages. I just dragged over a bag of compost and will spread that over the newly planted tomatoes. That should perk them up!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put two bags of compost on all those front yard tomato plants today. The other tomato plants already had lots of compost. Then I watered it in as I wanted the nutrition to start getting down to the roots. But now it is raining again so I guess I didn't even have to water.