Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Friday's Feast of Flowers

shive
9 years ago

I got out in the garden late this morning and managed to get a few photos before the rain began. Some of my favorite northern plants are blooming now, and a couple of Salter clumps were showing off in the sunshine.

WILLOW DEAN SMITH had its first flowers open!

BLACK FALCON RITUAL

COOL HAND LUKE had the pleated throat today.

RUBY LIPSTICK

BETTER THAN EVER was living up to its name.

CRAZY IVAN blooming on short scapes for the second year in a row.

LITTLE MYSTIC MOON is always one of my best budded daylilies, even grown in part shade.

PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL in one of the weedly, grassy beds that never got cleaned out this spring. This one is also blooming on short scapes this year.

And some seedling shots:

Debra

Comments (12)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Great photos that might make be go out and buy those daylilies, if I didn't already have them! PSM looks incredible, and I hope mine made it through the winter. Black Falcon Ritual looks like it's doing the happy dance in your photo. Ruby Lipstick looks amazing. WDS is very photogenic. I'm hoping this is the year I see blooms from mine.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Better Than Ever performs very well here, but garden visitors pull up their nose. Perhaps it's because the flower is a bit on the small side. Short scapes, low bud count--sounds familiar.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Better Than Ever has been an excellent performer here -- nice scapes and good bud count. It's an older cultivar I decided not to cull last year because of its performance.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better Than Ever always had good branching and bud count here, and it almost always reblooms. Its place in my garden is safe.

Debra

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

Crazy Ivan and Ruby Lipstick are my favorite, and I really like your seedlings, as well. you are a talented hybridizer.

Gale

• growgirl
    9 years ago

Wow. Little Mystic Moon is putting on quite the show! Your pictures are always so nice to see. They even enable me now and then:) Your last seedling is just what I like. Texture, form and color are lovely.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

That mystic moon loves to show off it looks like,it sure is a beauty with all them blooms. BETTER THAN EVER is really pretty, but, my favorite one is WILLOW DEAN SMITH. I would love to have that one,it rresembles beautiful Edging.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Love the seedling en masse' shots. Patricia Snider Memorial always catches my eye. I just turned off the movie of the week on PBS. It was Cool Hand Luke. Between the Movie and seeing it's daylily counterpart now, I feel that my evening viewing pleasure is complete....lol........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean - Willow Dean Smith does have that pink edge like Beautiful Edgings, so I see how you made the connection.

Maryl - I don't know why Curt Hanson ever named such a feminine looking flower Cool Hand Luke. He registered it the year Paul Newman died, and I guess he was feeling sentimental.

Debra

• deangreen
    9 years ago

wow really like the color combo on the hawk flower! :)

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Love all but Little Mystic Moon is calling me. Crazy Ivan just may be shy blooming so short. He's gorgeous though.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I always love your photos, and they so often enable me to buy something else. You haven't disappointed at all. All are beautiful, as usual, but Better Than Ever is striking in a clump like that, Cool Hand Luke is a beauty. I always love Patricia Snider Memorial...(mine bloomed very short this year). I don't know why I never bought Willow Dean Smith since I always love it when you post, and Ruby Lipstick is always a beauty. I am impressed with Black Falcon Ritual. Very nice group.
    kay