Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Clumps and multiples on Wednesday

shive
11 years ago

Here's the TEXAS BLUE EYES clump. It's been so hot the past couple of days that I haven't tried to set seed on it. So it was tidier today.

TEXAS BLUE EYES trio - I'm not sure why the one in the middle has a lighter eye. It didn't appear light when I snapped the photo.

WESTBOURNE LITTLE LAMB

ACCENT ON STYLE and CHORUS LINE

AGE OF AQUARIUS

CORAL MAJORITY - This one clumped up very quickly. It went from two to nine fans in just three years. This year it has instant rebloom scapes coming. There's one in this photo.

TOPGUNS ORCHID RIPPLES

WILLOW DEAN SMITH had five lovely blooms today. One is hidden behind the larger flower. It still looks lavender instead of pink to me, but I love it!

Debra

Comments (17)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I love Westbourne Little Lamb and Willow Dean Smith. Those 2 may be my favorites but they are all really nice. Great pictures! Marg

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Impossible to choose between all these lovelies today. I just love clump shots and yours are beautiful. The color of CHORAL MAJORITY is so saturated for you. Mine is often much paler than that. I am not usually for doubles but those TOPGUNS ORCHID RIPPLES triplets are stunning!

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Gosh, these are all amazingly beautiful!!! Wow, wow and WOW to all of these. I just can't get over wanting Texas Blue Eyes and each time you show it I swear it only gets prettier and more beguiling. Westbourne Little Lamb is so eyecatching with that bold red eye. Accent on Style = beautiful, Age of Aquarius looks so cool and dreamy, Coral Majority just screams 'look at me' and is a standout, Topguns Orchid Ripples looks very sophisticated like a lady in a ruffled dress and Willow Dean Smith....PERFECTION.
    You've outdone yourself again Debra.

Celeste

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Clumps and multiples are always a pleasure to look at! Especially for me, as I don't have those often. And of course all of them beautiful! I thought I'd go with Westbourne Little Lamb cause it's so bright and beautiful, but then I scrolled to Willow Dean Smith and wow what a lovely daylily, certainly my favorite today.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Willow Dean Smith is indeed a perfect photo. Am I wrong, or does W Little Lamb have a sparse bud count? Your Accent on Style looks great. Mine has never done much; may be its location, but I think it likes warmer climes. It's hard to capture the Coral Majority hue. I hope the season is not so short that I see it soon here.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Clumps are fabulous things. texas Blue eyes is my favorite of these, but there are so many lovely ones. Coral Majority
    catches my eye, Age of Aquarius is a beauty, and I really like the Westbourne.
    kayt

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marg, Celeste, Nat and Mantis - I bought Willow Dean Smith last fall at the Rice's clump sale. They send four huge fans, and it added two fans over the winter. So I'm going to see a lot of those perfect blooms. The plant is vigorous, hardy and has tall scapes. I dont' think there's a better edge-no-eye cultivar around. John Rice has surpassed Hansen, Trimmer and Stamile in chasing that hybridizing goal.

Mantis - Westbourne Little Lamb doesn't have many buds for me. It never has. Usually have a couple of scapes on it with lateral branching, but not this time. It's a combination of no rain here in April and getting shaded out by two taller, more vigorous plants.

Debra

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Texas Blue Eyes is on my wish list for this summer-I saw it in person last year and loved it. I like W. Little Lamb too.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Your clump shots are always stupendous, I love the one of Texas Blue Eyes. Willow Dean Smith is beautiful too.

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

Debra, is Willow Dean Smith too new for this question...do you ever get rebloom and does it really seem to be MLa for you? I think I remember you posting a photo a week or so ago...

Just lovely. I quite like that cool tone on her edging. Swoon-worthy imho.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• mizellie
    11 years ago

As much as I like Texas Blue Eye, I have to by pass her and choose Willa Dean Smith. I think she is just gorgeous.. She looks like a lavender pink to me. You have some nice clumps gal.. Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anika - I've only had Willow Dean Smith since last fall. I don't have any rebloom scapes yet, but I'll keep you posted. Since my daylilies started blooming about three weeks early on May 7, this would actually be late for Willow Dean to be blooming. It's interesting to me that she started blooming two days later than Kentucky Lucky, which Rice registered as a late. I have several lates already blooming.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Lovely photos. I just got Coral Majority last year and hopefully I see blooms as lovely as yours. Love the bright color of it.
    Willow Dean Smith is such a calming color.

Julia

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

The clumps all look fantastic, but the bloom on Willow Dean Smith really stands out.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow DEBRA: YOu have so many gorgeous ones, but, my favorite is WILLOW DEAN SMITH,AGAIN. ITS IS SOO PRETTY.

jean

• deangreen
    11 years ago

what great photos! love the first one T Bluw eyes, and that little lamb really shines in a clump bright red eye looking out.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia - Coral Majority seems darker in color this year. I'm not sure if it was because of the cool nights and hot days or what caused it. Willow Dean Smith's color is both calming and cooling in this sweltering weather.

Chris and Jean - WDS is quite the beauty. I'm really glad I added it!

Dean - The eyes on both TBE and WLL are excellent. WLL has never reached the registered scape height or had the bud count the hybridizer got, but I think it's a bright, cheerful addition to the garden. By the way, WLL was misregistered as a tet. It's really a dip. I spent years crossing it to tets to no avail. Then I noticed the hybridizer had registered a 2010 cultivar, W. Flowering Spooks, a dip with WLL as the parent.

Debra