Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Bullfrog Kisses ffo, rebloomers and lates on Thursday

shive
11 years ago

I was very anxious to see the first blooms on BULLFROG KISSES this morning. I got up shortly after 5:30 a.m. to get ready to photograph. And there it was - all open flat and looking near perfect. When I received the new plant from Watermill Gardens this spring, the scapes had been removed, so this is rebloom for the Bullfrog. I'm definitely smitten.

WONDER OF ALL on rebloom was open all flat and pretty too!

SACRED GROUND reblooming and my purple coneflower had sort of a color echo going.

AUTUMN JEWELS is blooming nicely. Here's a foursome of blooms close together. Last night I discovered a rebloom scape on this late bloomer. I've had it seven years, and this is the first time ever I've gotten a rebloom scape on it.

BARACUDA BAY also had a foursome blooming.

WATSON PARK EYE's last bloom. (No, Chris it still hasn't increased. In fact I'm down to just one fan now and five flowers this year.)

APACHE WAR DANCE was brighter than bright.

TEARS OF LOVE, an older late by John Shooter

BEST FOR LAST, a new one from the Rices. This one looks so much better later in the day when it recurves somewhat and ruffles even more. It looked good at the end of a 97-degree day yesterday! I tried to photograph it last night, but the bloom was blown out in my pictures. The scapes have 14-15 buds.

Debra

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

You know I could hardly see anything past Bullfrog Kisses. What a beauty! Baracuda Bay and Autumn Jewels were beautiful goups, and I like the hot ones, so Apache War Dance appears greatly to me.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh gosh they are all fabulous, especially APACHE WAR DANCE. I just love that saturated color. But BULLFROG KISSES is my favorite as I just love the dramatic color contrast. And that photo is just fabulous!!!

No way would I ever get up at 5:30 AM or anywhere near that, daylilies blooming or hot. You must be a morning person.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Several look really fetching, but I LOVE:

SACRED GROUND
    BARRACUDA BAY
    WATSON PARK EYE
    And the last one

They are really nice!

Alexa

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita - I'm absolutely NOT a morning person. I just knew it was going to be very hot very quickly today, so I wanted to be inside by 10:30. I got up photographed, potted a couple of daylilies and watered areas I didn't get to last night. Then I had to go get a vehicle inspection and my new car license tags. It was a busy morning, and I'm chillin' now near the air conditioner.

Debra

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Debra, we're on the same schedule. I get up earlier and earlier to get photos before the sun's too bright, but then the flowers aren't open enough to photograph.

I'm also smitten with Bullfrog Kisses. Watermill Gardens is Trimmer's right? I should have known . . . . One of these days I'm just going to have to take a chance.

Isn't in frustrating to have a beautiful bloom on a plant that doesn't perform? I appreciate the info on Watson Park Eyes. I think even if I found it, I'd be very hesitant to add it to the garden based on its performance for you.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Bullfrog Kisses is Frank Smith--not good news, as his stuff tends not to do well here. It certainly steals the show, though Autumn Jewels looks great, as do all the rest.

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

Yesterday I noticed that Autumn Jewels and Desperado Love were dead ringers for each other.Is one or the other wrong, or are there 2 just alike? why introduce one if there is already one like it? I got these from reputable dealers.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flowergirl - Autumn Jewels and and Desperado Love do have flowers that are similar colors. Both are descended from El Desperado. I grow all three because I like that color combo. AJ and DL have different shaped blooms, different sized blooms, different scape heights, and different bloom times. AJ has a 6-inch bloom on 40-inch scapes and is a late bloomer. DL has a 5-inch bloom on 26-inch scapes (it's 29 inches here) and blooms midseason.

Chris - Mantis is right. Bullfrog Kisses was hybridized by Frank Smith. The Trimmers have a general listing with newer daylilies hybridized by others on it. I wanted to add more Frank Smith daylilies because I've had such good luck with American Doll and I Remember You. So I bought Bullfrog Kisses and Patsy Cline from Watermill, along with four of Trimmers intros because the prices were the best I could find on the Smiths.

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!! What some beauties today.They are all gorgeous. MY all time favorite one is WONDER OF IT ALL :) then next is APACHE WAR DANCE. and BARACUDA BAY., and AUTUMN JEWELS. If WONDER OF IT ALL had not been one of them, then APACHE WAR DANCE would have ben my favorite with BARACUDA BAY as second best.Just too many beauties in a bunch :)

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - Who could have guessed you would pick Wonder of It All as your favorite? It is a great one that blooms for a long time. And, as long as it's at least 100 degrees outside, all the blooms open flat.

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

HA HA DEBRA. You know I have to pick WONDER OF IT ALL as my very favorite.It had opened flat here at 70 degrees, too,and even at 66 degrees, just took a little longer to open fla, I guess till it warmed up to 70. I do love that APACHE WAR DANCE a lot too.

jean

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Bull Frog Kisses is my favorite of really great looking group. Watson Park Eye's is very pretty also to bad it's such a bad performer for you.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda! Watson Park Eyes has been growing in a pot too long. It's planted with another daylily, and I've lost track of which is which until they bloom. By the time they do bloom, it's too hot to plant and Watson Park Eyes subsequently goes dormant. This year I've put it in the shade. I hope I can find a place to plant it in the ground in late summer or fall. It has a very unique look and did have 15 buds the first year I had it.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Wowee...you have some pretties here! They all look great and my favorite is Apache War Dance for it's sensational color. That one was already on my wish list, where it now has top billing.

I have both Baracuda Bay and Tears of Love...they will be brand-new for me when they bloom and I see scapes so I'm excited.

Celeste

• deangreen
    11 years ago

wonder of all gets the color combo just right! great contrast and I like the lighter eyes on daylilies! like your sacred ground. nice pics! ;)

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste - I look forward to seeing how Baracuda Bay and Tears of Love do for you.

Deam - Thanks for your comments!

Debra