Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Asian Fairy Bluebird and other photos

shive
14 years ago

ASIAN FAIRY BLUEBIRD has struggled here, not even blooming last year. This year, I only have one scape out of six fans. But when you look at the bloom, you can't help but forgive it everything. I'm hoping more of those fans put up scapes later.

I've been unhappy with MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD for a couple of years, but this year it's really starting to show what it can do. So far this is the bloom with the bluest eye.

Here's a group shot today. The eyes didn't look as blue, and the petal color was lighter

WINTER'S ANGEL took my breath away yesterday.

NIGHT OF MIRACLES had many nice blooms all week.

HARMONIOUS SIMPLICITY is a new one I just love. I got it because of all Chris's great photos of it.

SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO looked so amazing when it was backlit with the sun.

EMMAUS - Another one I thought I had lost over the winter. He lost a fan and moved in with his pot mate.

Debra

Comments (25)

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

OMG...Winter's Angel took my breath away too Debra. Gotta go look that one up! I love it.
    Enjoyed all your other photos too....they're beautiful as always. :)
    Jan

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Snake in the Grass Boo is just lovely. All of them are lovely, but that photo is just gorgeous. Thanks for posting them.
    Renee

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan - I think Winter's Angel looked so sculptural yesteray. It reminded me of a snow egret.

Thanks Renee. I'm glad you liked the SITGB photo.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Night of Miracles is sure pretty, but the best shot for me is Snake in the Grass Boo. Emmaus is a close 2nd. All are just lovely.

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

I love them all. They're gorgeous. Very nice pictures!
    Asian Fairy Blue Bird and Harmonious Simplicity go into the wish list.
    The picture of Winter's Angel is stunning, stunning!

Thank you.
    Bj

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

That SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO is a stunner.

• MaxBaerHems
    14 years ago

Wow! Debra these are awesome....That AFB and WA are outstanding! Wonderful Pic's!!

Rick

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

Boy, AFB really takes my breath away. My favorite is still Winter's Angel, though, maybe because it's so hot here!

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patsy - It sure it hot here! I'm looking to forward to next week's high 80s. Temps in the mid-90s for this long a stretch is just depressing.

Debra

• luvtosharedivs
    14 years ago

Amazing thread of awesome beauties!

After seeing the first one, I though the rest would be ordinary, but they kept getting better!

I chose four to all to my wish list...
    Magnificent Hummingbird - The form and patterned eye grab my attention.
    Winter's Angel - That's one of the best whites I've ever seen...great fringed/ruffles edges.
    Night Of Miracles - Purple, lavender and white...what a great combination.
    Snake In The Grass Boo - Just plain awesome.

Thanks for enabling!

Julie

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some other photos from the past two days.

DENA MARIE'S SISTER

RICK'S CHERRY CHEESECAKE

SWEET CHILD OF MINE

MUSICAL MEDLEY

JENNY BUTTERFIELD

Debra

• juliet11
    14 years ago

Asian Fairy Bluebird is beautiful - too bad it hasn't done better for you. I love your photo of Snake in the Grass Boo - it looks very artistic. Thanks for sharing these!

Juliet

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Juliet - Some of those Lambertsons are very finnicky. Our three-year drought hasn't helped matters either. I think ASIAN FAIRY BLUEBIRD will probably improve with enough water to form long, healthy roots. I just wish they all performed as well as ADA MAY MUSICK.

Debra

• tepelus
    14 years ago

I love all of your daylilies, but that Winter's Angel, OMG! I love that one the most of all of this group. It needs to find a home in my garden.

Karen

• Nancy
    14 years ago

This season I love the blue eyes, & that 1st one is gorgeous. Night of Miracles has so much going on I can't stop looking at it. Of course I love Snake in the grass boo & Emmaus! And Rick's Cherry Cheesecake, love that bright color on the white.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

AFB certainly doesn't look like it's struggling! Wow, that is beautiful!

WA is amazing! I've never seen that one before. Is it my eyes, it looks like it is having the tendency to show a little teeth.

NOM is another I don't think I've seen before, love it.

Love JB too!

• ladypat1
    14 years ago

Winter's Angel looks like it belongs in a bridal bouquet! And Dena Marie has a very pretty sister. I like the way Sweet Child of Mine kinda just glows from the center. Thanks, Pat

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lala - Winter's Angel has plenty of fringe including teeth and tendrils.

Ladypat - I think you're right. Winter's Angel would be pretty in a bridal bouquet!

I look forward to the day I have a whole clump of Winter's Angel blooming.

Debra

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Another great group of daylilies. Most times when I see photos of Lambertson cultivars in other gardens, they look nothing like the hybridizer's pics. But I must say yours look better! AFB is stunning, and at least you have the fans to (hopefully) produce scapes later. That first photo of MH is also beautiful.

I'm not familiar with Night of Miracles, Sweet Child of Mine or Winter's Angel, but WOW! I love the analogy of the egret to WA. That one is a stunner.

Thanks for adding some new beauties to my list.

• noeyw
    14 years ago

I always admire your pictures, even though I can rarely post since I'm sneaking peaks at work. LOVE your picture of SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Noeyw - Glad to hear from you. I know what it's like to be at work and sneak peeks at the daylily forum. Post when you can.

Chris - I still have Asian Fairy Bluebird in a pot, and that may be part of the problem. However, I have another Lambertson, Blue Eyes Glance, that has 8 fans and no scapes this year. Last year it had 6 mature fans and only two of them scaped. I've had that one five years and it's only bloomed one season. Some Lambertsons don't thrive in freeze and thaw winter climates like we have here. AFB may be one of them. Certulean Warbler also has 6 mature fans and no scapes this time. That's a real disappointment since it did so well last year.

Debra

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

The "freeze and thaw" cycle might explain why I've had difficulties with some Lambertsons, too. MALICIOUS RUMORS and BLUE EYED CURLS did great the first year they were here, but didn't bloom at all the last two years. Now they're barely hanging on. EYED TWISTER has been here a few years with no blooms. I'm thinking I can use those three spots for some more accommodating daylilies.

• tobin34
    14 years ago

I see what I am missing. I purchased AFB for spring shipment, and had to be given a refund. Thank you for sharing the photo. I will yet obtain a fan or two. I can only imagin the incredible kids that will come out of others gardens.....Tobin

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Debra,
    If DH only knew, he would try to block your pictures. I love everything you have posted! I usually do. Now you've gone and added several more to my gotta have list. Thank you for all of the beauty you share.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kay - Let's make sure your DH never finds out about this enabler. LOL

Debra

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus