Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Pretty Pinks Posing Prettily

shive
9 years ago

There were a lot of pinks drawing my attention in the garden this morning. Pinks and purples are my favorite daylily colors.

In Search of Angels

Walking In Beauty

Carefree Sunset

Victorian Lace

Siierra Grande

Inimitable

Chance Encounter with a Pipevine Swallowtail

Strolling In the Roses ffo

Pretty Desirable

Sugar Magnolia

And a couple of seedlings:

Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit - This one lost most of its fans over the winter and one of its sibs completely died.

True to Whim X Persian Pattern

Debra

Comments (25)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oops, forgot to add some thing. more, please.more photos ppppppppppplllllllllleeeeassssssssssse. :-)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The Chance Encounter pic couldn't have found a better butterfly for contrast. Really a gem! What do you think of Pretty Desirable? Your Carefree Sunset has much more color than here; perhaps the heat intensifies the hue (not that we haven't had enough heat here).

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

In Search of Angels is the perfect, bright pink, and then you bring along all these lovely pastels before hitting us with Strolling in the Roses. What a wowser of a daylily.

I'm liking Pretty Desirable a lot in this photo and don't remember having the same reaction to your first photo of it. I'm liking it enough to look it up to see how it might fare in Michigan.

Great group of daylilies, and nice seedlings, too.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jean! I love to take and post photos of daylilies, but my mom is in the hospital. So I can't make any promises.

Mantis - Chance Encounter's color is sort of washed out in the photo, but the butterfly was so sharply in focus, I had to share the picture. Carefree Sunset always had nice coloring here. But it's usually very hot and humid here. Last night was cool for us - 68 - but still humid.

Chris and Mantis - Pretty Desirable has a huge flower and has a lot of landscaping impact because of that. It's been well budded and well branched here - exceeding Gossard's registration stats. Since it is a hard dormant, it should be rock solid in Ohio and Michigan. It has mulitiplied well since planted as a single bonus fan. Personally, I'm not crazy about the form and I wish it had taller scapes to carry thos whopper blooms, But I'm using it in UF crosses, hoping to get seedlings with larger blooms. Most of my UF seedlings are in the 7 inch range.
    The color does take on some peachy tones in direct sun, but not so much that I would call it a salmon pink.

Chris - Strolling in the Roses has a striking bloom on great scapes. It's a fabulous performer by Ohio hybridizer Sandy Holmes. She has used Moldovan genes to produce some lovely UFs and large flowers with watermarks.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 16:33

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Wow! A lot of beautiful blooms today, Debra. Your Refined Designed X Blue eyed Bandit seedling is a real beauty. Such a delicate color! I lost a lot of fans on a couple of plants that had always been workhorses, so this winter was an unusual one.

Of the others, Pretty Desirable is my favorite. It is odd. It took this long for me to really appreciate that form, but I am liking it more all the time. So many pretty blooms. thanks for showing them.
    kay

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Your photo of Pretty Desirable is much prettier than the hybridizer's. I wouldn't be tempted by his photo.

Glad to hear Strolling in the Roses is from a northern hybridizer. Onto the wish list it goes.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I knew I was in trouble when I opened this. Pink is also one of my favorite colors. I want them all.....Pretty Desireable didn't look that pink at all at the daylily show. But under indoor lighting maybe the colors look less pink and more salmony/coral. On the ATP database it certainly doesn't look like what I saw. Funny the differences.......Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - Some indoor lighting does affect colors - even in clothing. Pretty Desirable does have some underlying peaching tones in full sun, but here it still looks more pink than peach. My photo was taken in early morning shade, which made the bloom look less peachy. Speaking of pinks, I replaced both Pink Aloha and Lillian's Jingerbred, and neither plant is doing well. Both plants were much smaller than my original ones. Lillian's Jingerbred bloomed this week, and looked so peachy I almost didn't recognize it. I hope the color difference is just because it's not settled in yet.

Debra

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

My Goodness! Can i come over for a picnic? How lucky to have the Butterfly grace your bloom too. All we have here is Monarchs.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Debra: As to Pretty Desireable, I think it's pretty whichever color it decides to be in the garden...........Thanks for the info on Pink Aloha. I had 3 pots of it in various protected locations and they all 3 were dead, dead, dead after this winter. But it was such a pretty pink to me. Leaves me in a quandry about reordering it next year. Any updates appreciated..........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Pink is always a nice color for the garden.

Julia

• del_s
    9 years ago

Particularly enjoyed the Pipevine Swallowtail visitor. They are stunning when viewed up close.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Del - I was so lucky to get the shot. The butterfly was flapping its wings the whole time I was taking shots. The swallowtails are my favorite butterflies, and I usually get several different kinds throughout the summer,

Debra

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Lovely pinks! And all variations of pink color! I especially like Victorian Lace and Walking in Beauty.
    That last seedling, how tall is it? I see chain-link fence there and those are usu 4 feet.
    Oh also love your creative titles!

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nat - The scapes that get the most sun are tadller than 48 inches. The other scape is 35 inches. This seedling multiplied like crazy over the winter and will be registered later this year.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Wow! These are all great! I have Chance Encounter and always enjoy it, but the butterfly really makes it great! Pretty Desirable is one I've had my eye on for a while. So nice!

• virginiarose123
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love pink daylilies, thanks for sharing your pictures. You are giving me ideas like an enabler would. In Search of Angels is a real stunner, but I love all those and would never turn down a pink daylily. I got

JURASSIC PINK
    HAWAIIAN PASSPORT

Walking in Beauty and Victorian Lace the year before last and they are beautiful. Here are some others I have.

BLUE PINK BEAUTY

A FRIEND TO ALL

COUNTRY STROLL

EDGED IN PINK

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK

FIJI

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jurassic Pink and Hawaiian Passport are real standouts! How big is Jurassic Pink?

• virginiarose123
    9 years ago

Jurassic Pink is supposed to be a 7.5 inch flower but it did not get that big the first year. It was a bonus from Floyd Cove. http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=169202

I have dozens of pink daylilies and just ordered more from LA. Nothing expensive this year because I have been having problems with the evergreens rotting. LOL.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These past two winters have been really hard of my evergreens - so I know what you mean.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I'm trying to stay away from too many evergreens myself, but just couldn't go another year without Pink Aloha. We will see if I can protect it better this next winter. Can you tell how yours survived over this last winter Debra?.... Has anyone tried any of Polston's pink daylilies? He has one, Pink Hawaiian Sunset, on his website under his 2011 introductions whose picture just sends me and it's a dormant. But we all know to be cautious about photo lust.......Maryl....Polston Website

• virginiarose123
    9 years ago

Pink Aloha is gorgeous and looks similar to one I ordered from Maryott's called Bubblegum Delicious, this one has made it through the winter with flying colors. To me, it acts more like a semi-evergreen. Pink Aloha should do well for you, it has a dormant for a parent just like Bubblegum Delicious. I have Pink Aloha on my want list. :) More Pinks....

TIME DRIFTER

SONG WRITER

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH

STONE ISLAND

RACHELLE AGIN

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - No sign of Pink Aloha so far. I suspect it has died again. It doesn't like the freeze and thaw winters here with no snow cover.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Uh Oh Debra. Not something I wanted to hear. I found a few northern sources for Pink Aloha this past winter and assumed that meant it was just that one freaky cold winter we had that did mine in. You may be exactly right though about the difference in our marginal warm/cold winter cycles as opposed to the constancy of the cold northern winters. I'll be taking more conservative steps to ensure a fan or two survives this next winter..........Maryl