Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saturday's Sizzlers

Posted by shive 6b TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 13:46

For those of you who asked about my lack of photo posts, I've been out of town this past week. Last week, the thrips had most of my established blooms under siege. Now, without watering during this week's heat wave, the foliage is browning and looking ratty. Also several of my plants are not putting up scapes this year. Others are very, very late this year.

Here's SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY, new to my garden this spring. There are not many buds because it's new and hasn't settled in. The first scape bloomed at the end of May when it was still cool, so I can't give you a report about sunfastness. I do like the gold edge with the intense orangey red.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More photos

Here are a few that were in bloom this morning and last Monday.

CAREFREE SUNSET

WINTERS TREASURE

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS

GREEN MYSTIQUE always puts on a lovely show and will always be in my garden.

ASTRAL VOYAGER early in the a.m. The sepals quill as the day gets hotter.

Seedling Sun Bear X Julie Newmar

Seedling Mokan Butterfly X Bali WC

Debra

o
RE: Saturday's Sizzlers

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:17

Well that SC Francis Busby sure got my attention. HOT and SPICY! Right up my alley. Winter's Treasure looks cool and refreshing after all that heat......I lost my Green Mystique this last winter. It was one of my oldest daylilies and one of my favorites. I had had it so long I thought it was bullet proof. This past winter proved me wrong. Miss it.....Glad you explained your lack of posts. I was beginning to have "enabling" withdrawal. I just know there are some pinks you still have to post.......Maryl

o

well, wondered why you wasn't posting lately.,now I know :)
CAREFREE SUNSET is a mighty pretty one,and I just love
WINTERS TREASURE. that's a beauty. and so is
GREEN MYSTIQUE. I always like that one,and your seedlings are so pretty.I like the first one the best.

jean

o

Carefree Sunset is blooming here too. It supposedly gets better as the weather warms up. Alas, it has been a very uncomfortably humid week here. I hope CS doesn't require much more heat to show its best (actually, only a few blooms have opened, so there are lots more to come).

Your blooms all look free of damage. Astral Voyager disappointed last year (low bud count); will see about this year.

o

Mantis - My husband and I sprayed every bud in the garden before I left on my trip Monday, and it seems to have helped a lot. Of course, I don't take take photos of blooms with extensive thrip damage. The buds on four whole clumps of spidery daylilies were destroyed so badly none will open properly.

Astral Voyager always does pretty well here in the bud department. It has fewer this year than past years, 15-16, but still and acceptable amount.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 19:02

o

It happens sometimes to have an off year however you still have a nice selection of blooms. I'm sure you will still have some treats for us as the season progresses.

Julia

o

My favorite is the first Spacecoast intro, with that great fiery color combination. Am I mistaken that you didn't like reds/oranges before?

Your MB seedling is also attractive. Love that green throat.

o

Chris - Hot colors used to be my least favorite. But the sunfast ones in those colors look so much better on very hot, humid days than the lavenders, pinks and creams. I just stopped at Tennessee's new Welcome Center and saw the state had landscaped the front of the building with all tall yellow, gold, and orange daylilies. That combination looked fabulous and just sparkled in the 92 degree heat. By comparison, my plants in the "cool" colors looked washed out and anemic when I got home. So I'm coming around to those colors.

Debra

o

You had me at SC Francis Busby. Love those colors!

kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here