Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The incredible shrinking daylilies

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 13:54

I've got some daylilies that are smaller this year than they've been in the past. What does that indicate? I was wondering if it's because they didn't get enough water last year, or if they need to be divided. Or maybe something else?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The incredible shrinking daylilies

When I've had that problem, it was because of not enough water. And by that, I mean currently (within a week-10 days or so before bloom), not a year ago.

o

Are the blooms or scapes smaller?

o

I was thinking not enough water also but that is only a guess.

o

The first thing I thought of was heat, but I'm in a hotter zone. Everything shrinks around here during Summer.

o

I have had some very tiny ones also, and I don't think it is a water problem. Happy Returns and Early Days both had very small flowers compared to previous years. And some others growing nearby have normal size or outsized flowers. Another manifestation of the strange weather?
Christine

o

When they came out of dormancy this spring, the clumps were smaller, leaves were thinner, and now the scapes are shorter. No blooms open on them yet.

Since they started out that way, that's why I thought it was a result of last year's heat and drought. They went into winter not being the healthiest. Most of my hostas are smaller too because of last year's drought.

However, they're the daylilies I've had the longest, which is what made me wonder if it's because they need to be divided.

Deanna

o

Deanna - It might be a combination of last year's drought and the clumps needing to be divided. I have some (mostly early evergreens and tender semievergreens with very short scapes this year. I'm not sure is this is an effect of the strange weather or the lack of rain in April.

Debra

o

Smaller clumps indicates needing dividing? I thought when they get big and crowded the blooms would decline and that means divide?! I have my property edged in day lilies and they are getting so thick I probably need to divide but the task will be so huge I didn't get to it early enough. I have had lilies just disappear on me and it wasn't because they needed division..they just did not survive. I would be inclined to wonder what is eating the root system.

o

I live in St. Louis and I have several hostas that are way smaller than they were last year. I cant tell about daylillies. I think it is d/t drought last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here