Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Pictures around the garden.

newyorkrita
10 years ago

Just some shots so you can see what's going around in the garden.

The back of my house.

The small flowered white roses that are in the above picture.

My peas have pods!
{{gwi:32747}}

So remember this 7 foot square garden that used to be TB iris? I moved the iris last August and now it is a veggie garden. Tomatoes and peppers on the outside.

On the inside and will be going up the trellis are my yard long beans. Right now they are still small and not yet started climbing.

Hey, I am growing zucchini this year for the first time ever (eggplants also).

The Siberian iris are blooming now.

Catmint and roses.

Comments (14)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My driveway is full of pots of vegeatables! I have zucchini, eggplant, peas, beans, cauliflower, leeks, celery, cowpeas and melons all in pots here.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Fantastic plants, Rita, and same for the pictures. I hope everything grows and produces for you. You are growing one of my favorites, eggplant. One of my very favorite dishes is eggplant parmesan, Super Yum!!! Yes, looks like everything is thriving at your house, always love to see your garden. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My neighbor is a fantastic cook and makes the most fabulous eggplant parmesan. She already told me to give her eggplants for her family and she will cook and bring me some eggplant parmesan. Sounds like a very good deal to me!

• shive
    10 years ago

What are cowpeas? I thought those looked like snow peas in your third photo. The white climbing rose is fabulous! Looking at all you have growing, I'm wondering how you manage to take care of it all. I'd need a staff of three full-time gardeners plus myself to do all that you do. LOL You're a Wonder Woman!

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

wow! I really need those white roses in my garden somewhere. :) so nice. I've been thinking of more white lately, wanting to throw out some white rose champion next year, and I've ordered some white california poppies...:)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Love the white roses, but especially the catmint with the roses. Tried growing catmint once, and the silly cat rolled around in it til she killed it!

The veggie garden and the veggie pot garden look delicious!

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Great looking plants,and a great looking pot garden too.I use to grow eggplants years ago, in the garden, never in a pot.never thought it would grow in a pot, but, guess it will if the pot is big enoughI should have bought a little plant and stuck it in a big pot.I have some pretty big Hydrangeas in pots and they are gorgeous, so don't know why a eggplant wouldn't grow too. .The van may have to be parked o the street later?

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra, that closeup on the third photo are sugar snap peas. The pods still need to fill out some before they are ready to pick. They have just started producing.

Cowpeas are popular in the south because they grow in the heat whereas peas will not. Now technically cowpeas are a member of the bean family and not truely peas at all. I don't know why they don't call them cowbeans instead ha-ha :-))

Thanks everyone. I like the little white roses. Different from my regular fancy roses.

And I find catmint to be really easy to grow plus it just blooms and blooms and blooms.

Jean, ha-ha. Still room in the driveway but really the veggie pot getto keeps on growing!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Well, Rita. I have some cucumbers growing on the fence.they have timy little cucumbers on them already.Got tiny little bell peppers too.and lots of tomatoes. I just might get a eggplant next week and put in a pot too,I still have a couple big pots,(plastic tubs)

Jean

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

catmint is such a under used plant! It looks great around just about everything :) Looks beautiful Rita!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Looking good Rita.

Julia

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Your garden is really looking good Rita. Most of your veggies are ahead of mine, & I thought I got my stuff out early :) Although I guess I did wait on a few of the veggies since I was afraid they would need picking just while I was recovering from the hip replacement. I had no clue I would get better so much faster, this replacement is nothing like the one I got 3 years ago.
    I've been moving catmint around in several places in my garden, I really like it. Funny about it, I have had cats, I've planted catmint & catnip, & they have no interest in it at all. Occasionally when I've pulled some catnip out one of them "might" roll in it a bit. I planted it specifically for the cats too :)

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Your roses and catmint photo is beautiful and it looks like your going to have another bumper crop of veggies again this year yum.
    Linda

• Cindy zone 6a
    10 years ago

It looks so good. The veggie pots are a great idea.

cindy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm