Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One Exasperating Seedling and an 'egg' pod

Posted by shive 6b TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 14:05

I've been waiting and waiting for this seedling to open. It has bloomed on several days, but it would never open fully on those cooler days last week. Today, finally, it opened all the way. And in very short order. I've really been frustrated by it's inability to open in cooler temps. The neighbor's tree blocks its sun until almost noon. I'm planning on moving it to full sun in the expanded blue and white bed. This is a two-year-old seedling with a 5-inch bloom and 27-inch scapes. An evergreen, it has multiplied from one fan to six since last summer. In minimal sun, it has three branches and 13 buds. Pod and pollen fertile.

Seedling Karelia X Palace Garden Beauty

I can't believe how huge some of my seed pods are getting this year. Here's a photo of my seedling Mokan Butterfly X Bali Watercolor. The pod is almost as big as an egg, and this 7-inch bloom looks like its trying to hatch it. LOL

Debra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One Exasperating Seedling and an 'egg' pod

No wonder you want to move the first seedling to a sunnier spot. It is STUNNING!

o

haha, DEBRA< I just love the way you describe things.That first seedling is gorgeous. DOUBLE GORGEOUS. hey, that would be a good name for that one.DOUBLE GORGEOUS.

jean

o

That is one gorgeous seedling.
kay

o

Very nice. That is a pretty shade of blue/violet and such a nice form.
Christine

o
RE: reply

Thanks all! I think the seedling will good next to some of my blue-eyed cultivars.

Debra

o
RE: try again!

That should have said:

Thanks all! I think the seedling will LOOK good next to some of my blue-eyed cultivars.

Debra

o

Debra..yipes, the first seedling is a real beauty. To bad about the cool weather stopping the bloom.
The pod on the other seedling is probably the largest I have ever seen. Ellie

o
RE: different angle

Thanks Ellie. Here's another photo of the first seedling from another angle.

Debra

o

Your seedling is beautiful. Is the self really that creamy white color? I have a problem with a lot of the blue-eyes on white cultivars, because the white is usually more peach in my garden. I'm assuming it's something in my soil, but I have no idea what.

o
RE: Color of seedling

Chris - The petal color definitely is not a pure white. I would say its ivory with beige pink undertones. It photographs whiter than it actually is. As I recall, it looked more white in person last year.

Debra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here