Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

From the Dark Side to Walking In Beauty

shive
10 years ago

It's hot and muggy here today, and I think I'm at peak, or nearing peak.

DUCK'S DARK SIDE

SPACECOAST OJO ROJO

BULLFROG KISSES

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH

COOL HAND LUKE - This year It's all ruffly and pinched just like Hanson's catalog photo!

GREEN MYSTIQUE

MOONLIGHT SAIL

DESTINED TO SEE

PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY

WALKING IN BEAUTY

Debra

Comments (20)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

MOONLIGHT SAIL is a beauty but my favorite by far is BULLFROG KISSES (again). I do love the looks of that one! Loved it last year and love it again this year.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Wow! You have so many beautiful ones today, Debra. Ducks Dark side, Destined to see (beautiful clump!) Moonlight Sail...but I love the red and white ones, so Bullfrog Kisses wins again with me.

kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

More beauties! I love Cool Hand Luke, the pale lavender is lovely so is the pleating. Destined to see is on my wish list, a lovely group shot. Duck's Dark Side is so dark purple the white edge lines really are dramatic. Walking in Beauty is a nice soft pastel pink and I like the yellow edge with the white midribs. Marg

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Absolutely fabulous, all of them. I think I am inclined to go with the cool ones--love Cool Hand Luke, Destined To ee,a real beauty, and Palace Garden Beauty. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Very lovely all of them. MOONLIGHT SAIL looks perfect.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Everything opened perfectly for flawless blooms. Uncomfortably hot here, too.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita and Kay - Bullfrog Kisses does stand out in a crowd. The petal color always photographs lighter than it really is. It's a darker cream in real life. The red eye and edge were darker today than I have seen previously, perhaps because I put its pot in part shade while I was away.

Marg - I've been so pleased with Cool Hand Luke this season. The color, the ruffled petals, and the sculpting are just what I wanted. And it has a lot of buds this time too - not the 40 registered, but in the high 20s.

Avedon - The blue eyes just keep on coming, but few are as nice as the older Palace Garden Beauty.

Julia - Moonlight Sail is a predictible performer whether in a drought or a rainy season.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I love the dark rich color with light edge of DUCK'S DARK SIDE, & Bullfrog Kisses is gorgeous & bright.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Duck's Dark Side didn't hold up as well in the heat as it did last year. It may not be getting enough water. Bullfrog Kisses is always a treat.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

That photo of Moonlight Sail is terrific, and I'm happy to see a photo of Cool Hand Luke other than that on Curt's website.

It's hard to believe you're near peak and I haven't had a single bloom yet this year.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I do have two beds where nothing is blooming yet, and another that only has a couple. Some of mine are almost on time, and others are very, very late. I'm looking forward to seeing your first bloom!

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

really like the contrast on the first one!

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful, but I love Bullfrog Kisses.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW what beauties you have today.I love DUCK'S DARK SIDE, and its me favorite,OOL HAND LUKE I a beauty, tooand MOONLIGHT SAIL, beautiful.Palace Garden Beauty is a beauty, too and I love that WALKING IN BEAUTY. so pretty.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean and Jean - I really like the contrast on DDS too!

Val - Bullfrog Kisses is quite the attention getter.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Beautiful all of them. I just received Duck's Dark Side this spring and I love it such a gorgeous bloom mine as more of a yellow edge I wonder if it could be because I'm further south than you are.

Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda - Mine has a yellow edge today, but not a bubbly one. I think yours looks like that because you've probably had warmer nights than we have, and I'm growing mine in part shade for hybridizing purposes. Eller registered it as having a yellow edge.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Each and every one of this is scrumptious. Lovely photos as always and always such a treat for the eyes.
    Ducks Dark Side is ravishing and Moonlight Sail is stupendous. SC Ojo Rojo and Bullfrog Kisses really grab your attention don't they? I love them all.

Celeste

• Mrs.FlowerJunkie
    10 years ago

Bullfrog Kisses........oh yeah, that's one frog I would kiss right on the smacker!! Very nice!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Mrs. Flower Junkie - Welcome to the Daylily Forum! Your comment about Bullfrog Kisses was so funny I had to read it to my husband.

Debra