Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Today's Blooms 062014

gonegardening
9 years ago

We had some rain in the early evening yesterday. I noticed when live-heading the number of blooms that were already beginning their opening for today. That means some water damage. Oh well...the rain is much appreciated.

Starting with some duets...one of my very favs, Malaysian Marketplace:

Aerial Applique:

An oldie but goodie, Open Hearth:

Terry Lyninger:

A couple of the small ones...Small World Gummy Bears:

pretty good scapes:

Tilting at Windmills:

Some singles...Ethel Buccola:

Mystical Rainbow:

A bit blotchy Fabulous Frieda...but, there's a reason I want to show this one:

Very nice scapes...a little cleaned up (no brown allowed) and a perfect bloom (ha)...and we'd have a good show scape:

Before...is actually almost done as an EE but does have a rebloom scape still...

This is Peppermint Twizzler, one I happened upon at a boutique at a convention a few years ago. I was unfamiliar with it, but, as I'll show you, it's definitely winning me over:

Pretty nice scapes:

Delight of my Eyes:

Wild and Free:

Of the three of them, Velvet Ribbons, Wild and Free and Rolling Raven....Wild and Free is clearly the happiest here...

I'll close with two clump shots. The first is Big City Eye:

and finally, Pawprints on my Heart:

Hope you all have a great weekend! After all, TGIF!

Comments (10)

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beauties. Being in the same zone, (central Delaware)I have been reading your posts with interest.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Pawprints on My Heart gets my attention with that darting green eye/eyezone. And it's supposed to be quite hardy. Big City Eye also seems to be an early winner, with nice scapes. Not to leave out Wild and Free. Your MM is spotless!

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, anniegolden!...We are lucky to live in a great zone for gardening! And, Region 3 is pretty active for daylilies, if you're interested. The Regional Meeting is tomorrow in Richmond, complete with tours.

Haha, mantis...I carefully picked those two out of all that were open. Some days are better than others. Pawprints is hardy, I think, since it was hybridized further north. The name is such a killer, I had to have it. It has good attributes...but, something to think about...my experience with it so far is that it blows through all those buds rather quickly. It will have lots of flowers open....which is lovely....however, sometimes I appreciate those that have less open but bloom longer.

• shive
    9 years ago

Fabulous Freida and Wild and Free both have gorgeous blooms and marvelous scapes. Thanks for including the scape photos! The two Twizzlers I have - Grape and Raspberry - both have great scapes too! Malaysian Marketplace always looks great in everyone's garden. I may have to add that one next year.

Debra

• User
    9 years ago

That is the most beautiful picture of Molaysian Marketplace that I have ever seen.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Thanks for the show, Katie. I love Malaysian Marketplace and used to grow it but ending up sending it elsewhere where it might thrive more than in Michigan. Tilting at Windmills is the one that really catches my eye, and Pawprints on My Heart looks very striking. Keep 'em coming!

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow, these are all just gorgeous photos. love .Fabulous Frieda...that's a beauty, as most of them are. love Malaysian Marketplace. keep them coming,

jean

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys.

Debra! Where are your beautiful wonderful most magnificent prize winning pictures??

So, the Twizzlers are a series. Oh so tempting to the collector in me, ha. But, I am reforming! No more.

I kinda compare MM to Peppermint Pinwheel and Much Ado About Magic (just me, my preferences) and MM...for me...is the better performer. Oh yes...(not that you asked, haha) Wild Red Heart is great, too...but, MM always gets me. I like the colors and the name (grin).

Oh hostabuff, you are so kind. I am a little embarrassed to admit the coloring is off a little. It is more red than the I think my picture shows (me, whining about the camera...again).

Will do, Chris.

Thanks, Jean!

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I agree with your comparison of MM, Peppermint Pinwheel and Much Ado About Magic. I've grown all three (not Wild Red Heart) and have gotten rid of all three because of their failure to thrive here but, when they bloomed, MM was spectacular. I can't remember to whom I sent the daylilies -- perhaps Mantis? Maybe he can comment on whether they're doing better in his neck of the woods.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

My vote goes to Open Hearth. Such vibrant coloration. Grabs my attention. Your picture of Terry Lyninger is pretty wonderful too..........Maryl