Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Footloose Fancy on a Muggy Monday

shive
9 years ago

This is the ffo on Footloose Fancy. I don't like it as well as Ruby Lipstick or Bullfrog Kisses, but I bought it to cross with the other two. But no crosses will take today. The temperature is too high, and there is the threat of rain again.

FOOTLOOSE FANCY

PLEASE SAY YES - Thanks Chris! I never got a good photo of this one last year. It rarely shows the bitone look here, and the bugs love it.

SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY's last bloom. I really do love this new acquisition, even though I normally don't care for orangey red flowers. This one does have pizzazz.

LAND OF COTTON began blooming yesterday.

LINDA BECK is always beautiful in the garden.

TEXAS BLUE EYES in the past has been a top performer. But this past winter reduced it to only a few fans and not many buds this season. I miss the old clump.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN - Just the thing for an unbearably hot, muggy Monday.

PURIFY MY HEART

SUGAR MAGNOLIA

Debra

Comments (13)

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Very pretty. I like Footloose Fancy. It reminds me of Red Eyed Fantasy. Also, SC Francis Busby is a beauty, And I always appreciate Linda Beck.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Thank you, for more pretty blooms to look at.The first one is very pretty.And SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY is a very pretty one, also.LAND OF COTTON is a beauty,, but, my favorite of these is LINDA BECK with TEXAS BLUE EYES coming in second. That one reminds me of my PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Great capture of Purify My Heart. I'm afraid Linda Beck was set back a bit here. We'll see. How would you describe the color on Footloose Fancy, as I see pictures in shades from purplish to bright red?

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kay - I've never seen Red Eyed Fantasy in person, but I imagine FF and that one are similar.

Jean - With today's lighter color, Texas Blue Eyes does look a bit like Palace Garden Beauty. Both daylilies have the same parent.

Mantis - This is first bloom I've had on Footloose Fancy, so I don't know if the eye color varies with temperature or not. Here it is a dark red - no way to mistake it for plum or purple. At lot of the newer cameras seem to blue things up. Several of my husband's cameras make true reds look cranberry, and cranberries look purple. Just sayin', you can't trust photos any more. There was a thread on another forum last winter about favorite red daylilies, and hardly any of the photos posted looked red, even though I grow some of them and they most definitely are red.

Debra

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Please Say Yes is gorgeous!

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Nice selection today. I'm sorry Please Say Yes hasn't bloomed as a bi-tone for you. I'm pretty sure all the blooms here are bi-tones, but not as much of a contrast as Carpenter's (greenhouse) photo.

Texas Blue Eyes is a beauty, and I really like your new SC addition, too.

I really wanted Purify My Heart (great photo) but ended up adding one I hope looks like it -- Susquehana Storm Front. We'll see.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

All of your pictures are beautiful but my pick today is Footloose Fancy. I will have to add that to my wish list.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris - Susquehana Stormfront looks very pretty. I had terrible luck with a couple of Kendig intros I ordered two falls ago. One did not make it through the winter, and I lost the other last winter in a pot. I think he has some really striking intros though, and may try one again in the future.

Nancy - Footloose Fancy is fairly inexpensive now that it has been out a few years.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Sugar Magnolia is my pick. Spacecoast one is one I'd also pick. Not trying to be critical but the first one looks like some others on the market.

Julia

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I always love Linda Beck. I have a seedling I grew that reminds me a lot of your TX Blue Eyes.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Please Say Yes and Francis Busy are real standouts. I also like Purify My Heart. Is it that white in person?......Maryl

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

Really like all the pics, but I'm a sucker for Texas Blue Eyes. A clump of that one is a sight to behold. Sure do hope this coming winter is a bit kinder to our DL's.

Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - Purify My Heart is that white when temps are hot, hot, hot. And it usually is the 90s when that one blooms.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures