Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

My seedling bed at peak

shive
9 years ago

Almost all of the seedlings that will be blooming this year have bloomed, and I loved taking photos in the seedling bed this morning. Bud counts are down on nearly all of them due to almost no rain and no supplemental watering in May when scapes were forming.

Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion seedlings. I will be registering the round one with the edge at some point in the future. The clump is at 11 fans now, although some of them don't get enough sun to send up a scape in the crowded seedling bed. The more triangular one without an edge will either be given away or composted after it finishes blooming. The future intro will be divided and moved to a new full sun bed soon.

PC X TI that will be registered is a hardy evergreen. While most of my evergreen and some of my semievergreen seedlings lost fans or died in the face of zero temperatures without mulch or snow cover, this one was not impacted. It's 29 inches tall, usually has 18-20 buds on four-way branching. So far it hasn't rembloomed, but it is in part shade in the seedling bed.

"Laughing Hyena" Trimmer seedling X Back Scratcher will be registered in the future, hopefully under the name Gypsy Cats. This is my whopper with a 7-8 inch bloom that often sports teeth like cat claws on the edge. Last year it had 28 buds and five-way branching. This year, now in the shade, it''s down to 13 buds and 3-way branching. Normally it has 29 inch scapes. It multiplies very well, even in the shade.

Speaking of gypsy cats, here's Coco Columbus hiding in the seedling bed.

SOT X RR - This is the same seedling that looked rose pink just a few days ago. Now it's looking more of a rosy red. Good multiplier and rebloomer, but needs higher bud count to be registered.

ITM X SOP - This will be a future intro someday, but it is a slow multiplier. Still only at 5 fans. Great bud count and rebloom.

DBD X TJ #1 - Last year this 6.5 inch near white had 16-20 buds on 28 inch scapes. This year 7-8 buds on 20 inch scapes. This pretty baby didn't get enough water or sun this year.

ALA X CS - Possible future. Good bud count and blooms that hold their color in high heat and humidity.

Natalie Antoinette X SOP - The new baby in the bed - she first bloomed a few days ago. Nine buds in the first year of bloom. Keeping my fingers crossed that bud count and branching improves in subsequent years. She has a 6.25 inch true pink bloom.

Sun Bear X Julie Newmar

These are some seedling blooms I love, but in their present locations don't produce enough buds to be introduced.

Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles

Comanche Magic X Never Been Kissed

Emperor Butterfly X Great White has 13 buds its first season. It's been less than 10 the past two seasons.

Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist - I really love this one. Will it get moved to full sun this summer? Time will tell. It usually has 13 buds.

Debra

Comments (17)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Debra, all of your seedlings are beautiful but Gypsy Cats and Sun Bear X Julie Newmar are my favorites.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Gypsy Cats, of course, and ALA x CS (what is its size?) caught my eye. The Precious Candy seedling is 5.5"? Columbus is so photogenic; he's the real winner.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

There isn't a seedling here I wouldn't be proud to have created, but the standout for me is PC x TI. What exactly is a hardy evergreen? I'm asking for selfish reasons, of course.

I like the clear color and crepe texture of the Emperor Butterly seedling.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - The Precious Candy seedling has been 5.5 inches in the past. But this year the blooms measure 5. Flowers are smaller and scapes shorter because of the lack of May rain and no supplemental watering last week when temps were in the mid-90s. ALA X CS also has a 5.5 inch bloom.

Chris - A hardy evergreen is one that can survive 0 degree temps with no mulch or snow cover. Don't you have a few evergreens that thrive there?

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I grow quite a few evergreens that do ok, but very few thrive. Those few are Claudine's Charm, Safe Island and Lana Ishee. Most of my Munsons are evergreen and do fine, but don't increase quickly like those previously mentioned. Of course, we always have plenty of snow cover here so I don't know if I could judge a hardy evergreen.

Today I was comparing clumps of Dreamcicle Supreme (evergreen) and Joan Derifield (sev), which were both moved at the same time and planted next to each other. JD is at least three times the size of DS.

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to peak before I get any bloom at all. After all, you are not in Florida.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right, Edward. I must not be at peak. LOL! I do have quite a few dormant midseason bloomers that have not begun yet. I'll tell them to wait for your first bloom.

Debra

• deangreen
    9 years ago

the awesome app X blazng sadls is really nice! :)

• User
    9 years ago

Wonderful seedlings. The one you are planning to register is a beauty. Plus the Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles is great.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I particularly like the first two Debra, Gypsy Cats and the hardy evergreen. Awesome Applique X blazing Saddles is gorgeous. Hope it makes it to introduction. all are beautiful, but those are my favorites, and I could see any of them in my garden.
    kay

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Really lovely seedlings, Debra!

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

Debra, Spectacular seedlings, I really like SOTxRR, nice shape, color and edge.

Gale

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Pretty seedlings! I esp like PCxTi and SOT ones.
    Nice pic of Columbus with her eyeliner :)
    I have a question about the 1st pic, how many plants are there? One with 11 fans and different blooms? And also how old is it?

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nat - In the first pic, there are two siblings fromt the cross Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion. The flower on the top right is the sibling to the other four blooms which are on the other plant. Both of the Precious Candy kids are four years old. During the drought year, two years ago, they did not increase at all. Last year the one with 11 fans more than doubled its fans.

Debra

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

WOW. All of them are beautiful- but NA x SOP and the first round one are my favs.
    I hope they do well and increase for you.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

You know my first pick is Coco Columbus. Love the kitties. Next is the true pink Natalie seeding, and then Comanche Magic seedling. The rest are pretty too, those just jumped out at me..........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Very nice face pics of your seedlings. You've got some interesting seedlings.

When I saw the title I thought it was a pic of your actual seedling bed with all the blooms LOL.

Julia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting