Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Saturday in the Sunshine

newyorkrita
11 years ago

It is nice today. warm but not hot like it was. Heat wave over, at least for now. Some flowers today-

YO BIG MOUTH FFO. I like this one. Big flower too.

A liitle grouping of MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE with THANKS A BUNCH.

WESTBOURN CORN CRIB ffo

Star Poly

Stella's Ruffled Fingers

Tropical Jewel one of my few Trimmer intros. I do like Trimmer intros, it is just that I no longer buy sourthern hyridized daylilies. But I have kept the ones that do well here.

I have been waiting for my first ripe tomato. Two comming ripe in this sack of tomatoes!

New veggie area growing like crazy. Compleate with heat bolted lettuce which I should pull.

So is the "old" tomato garden area.

And I have my area that I have been working on fixed up pretty good. In the back is tomatoes and in front where it is empty I am going to plant fall veggie crops. I am thinking some brocoli which I just started seeds and some brocolli raab. Maybe lettuce. You know I cram things in around here lol!

Comments (17)

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

Your veggie photos make me so hungry!

I like Yo Big Mouth and Stella's Ruffled Fingers.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have really gotten the veggie crazies again bad this year. Veggie crazies are not new for me, had veggies here and lots of them long before all the excess of flowers. But really getting back in after cutting back for some years.

• shive
    11 years ago

The group shot with Malaysian Marketplace and Thanks A Bunch is my favorite photo today. I really like the looks of those two together. Glad your heatwave is over. Ours is just starting and building up the 100s by the end of this coming week. Your veggies are coming along great. Let the tomato eating begin!

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I'm with Debra the photo with Malaysian Marketplace and Thanks
    A Bunch is just so beautiful. They complement one another perfectly! The veggies look great!
    Rena'

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

YUM!!!!
    Your veggie garden is beautiful. Stella's Ruffled Fingers is my favorite today.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Yo Big Mouth, I really like that one, cool name for it too! Your tomatoes do look yummy, and they have really grown.
    Cindy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, I had a nice reply all wrote up,and suddenly lost the whole thing, just because I had a word in the wrong place and tried to take it out. makes my blood boil over. anyway, Your tomatoes really looking good, if them tomatoes are in that sack, it has the sack covered up and hid :) the old tomatoe garden looks good, like it should be full of tomatoes in there, and I like that lettuce. looks good.haha I have a couple cucumber plants in pots, and they fixing to climb my fence. one of my daughters brought me 2 plants, so I put them in pots.I figure they have to go inside my fenced area so the deer dont eat them.I took the neighbor man some tomatoes a few days ago, as I had too many and didnt want them to ruin. he was really happy to get them.. your new veggie place you working on looks real nice too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, it gets hot heree but usually it breaks in a few days. Don't know how I would be able to deal with temps of over 100!

Rena, those two just happened to snuggle together which made a pretty picture.

Renee, Stellas Ruffled Fingers is a real work horse here just blooming and blooming and blooming. Last year it had four sets of scapes. We will see how it does this year.

Cindy, the tomatoes are growing like crazy this year. Must be all the rain but they did all get compost and tomato fertilizer so the soil is good.

Jean, those ones in the sack (there are three of them) are in that patio grow bag I tried out. Can't say I like it as it just reminds me of a green sack, not at all a planter. I have decided that next year I will use that sack for three pepper plants instead of tomatoes. Peppers don't grow as big as tomato plants and I think that will work better.

I have some Salad Bush Cucumbers in a pot myself and they have baby cucs set already. The rest of my cucumbers are upstairs in the backyard growing along the trellis that I put up in the middle of the path between the daylily gardens.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Malaysian Market Place and Thanks A bunch are my favorites.
    I do love the way you cram things in. it all seems to do well so it works for you!! Ellie

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Love the pic of MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE with THANKS A BUNCH and YO BIG MOUTH . Great photos.

Julia

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Tropical Jewel and all those shots of your vegetables are my favorites. I wish TJ wasn't a Trimmer, but I'm glad it does well for you. I envy all the energy you must have to keep up all those beautiful flower beds PLUS veggies.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I didn't know they had a BUSH CUCUMBER. thats what I should of had.I like the cucumbers when they are a little smaller then those you find at the store.I dont like them big seeds in the ones in the store, so I htought by growing some myself,I can get them before they get that big.yes, I think peppers would do much better in your grow sack.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie, thanks. I am big on cramming and it usually works for me lol!

Julia, YO BIG MOUTH is a favorite for me because it has such large flowers with that great watermark and lovely color.

Chris, I love the looks of Trimmer intros but then there are lots of daylilies that I love. I think I used to have more than I have now but any southern intros that were finicky for one reason or another left the garden.

Jean, if you don't like the seeds in cucumbers you should try any of the Burpless varieties. Hardly any seeds. I am growing some again this year as I do every year. But I was also told that the asian or chinese cucumbers are especially good so I am also growing CHINA LONG cucumbers for the first time this year. Started my own from seed.

The bush cucumbers have shorter vines than the common non bush types but they are still vines. We will see how the cucs themselves taste as these are a new variewty to me.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm with the crowd, my favorites are Malaysian Marketplace and Thanks A Bunch, but Yo Big Mouth looks so good, & Tropical Jewel too.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Oh my can't pick a favorite they all look good and so do all your veggies.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honestly, I need a farm to plant everything I would like to grow. If not that then at least I need the neighbors lawn lol!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I love the colors and all on your Yo Big Mouth! Lovely the Trimmer is a beauty too.
    kay