Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Tuesday in Michigan

maximus7116
13 years ago

Not too many worth photographing today because of all the rain and hail. I didn't realize how much damage could be done to the buds until they bloomed today.

Here's the best of the bunch:

ROYAL PINK TWIST

{{gwi:657755}}

WISPY RAYS

JOSETTE LISE

WINTER FROST

{{gwi:674588}}

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE, a little blotchy, but still pretty:

And TWO SUES, a blooming fool after being here just a year. Odd coloring, but I really like this one.

Sorry for the weird sizes, but I'm working off a different computer that I haven't quite figured out.

Chris

Comments (20)

• shive
    13 years ago

I love the round, ruffly voluptuousness of Royal Pink Twist. Two Sues looks orange here. It didn't have many buds and I never got a good photo of it.

Debra

• katlynn719
    13 years ago

I'm going with cool, crisp, WINTER FROST as my favorite in this batch. Thanks, Chris!
    Kathy (definitely not cool or crisp)

• rarejem
    13 years ago

Nice blooms! I am just the oposite of Kathy, going for the hot and firey ones in your thread (maybe because it is not any hotter here than it is cool and crisp in FL!. I love the color of WISPY RAYS in your garden and am hoping my second year plant can come close to that this year. Also just adore the coloring in MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE which has been on my list for several years.

Thanks for the show,

Julie

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Ah, Wispy Rays has been on my wish list for some time, just love that one. You have several though that I really like, I always go for those lovely watermarked daylilies.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

You've got some nice ones blooming today. I like Two Sues, and Winter Frost (and the purple one behind it) the most, but they're all pretty.

Karen

• nancykvb
    13 years ago

I'm liking Wispy Rays and Two Sues.
    I have two friends named Sue that hang out together, I refer to them as the "Goodie Two Sues" I'll have to tell them there's a daylily named after them!

Nancy VB

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Those are all looking perfect. No hail damage at all. A like them all but really loving TWO SUES, WISPY RAYS and my very favorite for today ROYAL PINK TWIST.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Debra, the photo of Two Sues on Curt's website is definitely more orange. I was really surprised when it bloomed, because I wasn't expecting the rose color.

Karen, the daylily behind Winter Frost is Singapore Orchid -- pretty even though it's planted in too much shade and bad soil.

Nancy, I remember the story behind the naming of Two Sues. Evidently two women were in Curt Hanson's garden admiring the seedling and because they were both named Sue, he named the daylily after them.

Rita, you should see the hundreds of daylilies that didn't get their photos taken. I've never seen a scragglier group of daylilies in my life.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Chris. I always love Wispy Rays. The Two Sues is quite pretty. I think I will go with Josette Lise. I'm a sucker for pinks, and that one is really lovely. Your blooms are beautiful chris.
    kay

• tarheelbelle
    13 years ago

Royal Pink Twist is my favorite of this group. Very pretty! Tied for a close 2nd are Malaysian Marketplace and Winter Frost. Love all of them though. Two Sues is new here this year. I've only seen one bloom so far and it has been orange. It was more the color of your's in the garden where I bought it. Is your plant in full sun or does it get some shade? I hope mine will be more the color of your plant. It's gorgeous.
    Michelle

• mizellie
    13 years ago

Well, I can't make up my mind. I do love Wispy Rays though. New to me but still a doer. I love it. I think 2 Sues is my next choice. They look pretty good after being beaten...Ellie

• katladie
    13 years ago

Royal Pink Twist is a real beauty and I love the coloring on Two Sues, she is really awesome.

sharon

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

Super nice pics, Love that Wispy Rays.
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Well I hope tomorrows blooms all open perfect and things grow out of the hail damage.

• numama
    13 years ago

Looks like you have quite the show going on there in Michigan Chris! Wonderful photographs. Wispy Rays is my favorite, and started re-blooming in my garden today. I think Two Sues is my fave of the bunch.
    Nancy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Winter Frost is a Shooter--thought they didn't grow well for you. Josette Lise is my fave. Is it a reliable performer?

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I love Two Sues, what a beauty. WISPY RAYS looks great also. Sorry that you had hail and damage to the daylilies.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

nice orange throat on that last one! nice

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lovely photos, Chris, even if it you did have a lot that didn't qualify for photos. Wispy Rays is always a favorite for me. Two Sues is pretty, love the simplicity and purity of Winter White, and Two Sues.
    Malaysian Marketplace is always a favorite. Just a very nice group in your garden today.

kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I couldn't figure out where this post came from, then realized it was from 2010! Winter Frost didn't survive, so I guess Shooter intros don't do well here. Malaysian Marketplace is also gone to a warmer climate. The rest are blooming right on schedule.