Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Friday Seedlings, Cats, and More

shive
10 years ago

The first seedling I saw today was the ffo on Sun Bear X Julie Newmar #2. This one takes after Julie with the lighter color, good branching and budcount of 20. There are a few very tiny teeth on the picotee edge.

Here's a bloom from today on the sibliing. It was a cool night, and the teeth on this one were smaller today.

Black Falcon Ritual X Robes For the Queen - This one still only has 10-12 buds, up from 7-8 last year. I hope it will be a good bridge plant for UFs. I crossed it with Velvet Ribbons this morning.

This is a seedling by hybridizer Fred Manning that I bought to use for hybridizing red eyes. Its parentage is (Raspberry Stitching X Coach's Hot Lips) X Jellymaker.

I haven't been able to get a really good photo of my intro, MIDNIGHT IN MEMPHIS. Here is how it looked in past years when I didn't have an epic bug war going on.

This is one of the prettier self-seeded spiderworts growing around my yard.

The cats kept me company in the garden this morning.

Columbus in hunting mode on the garden cart

Sammie on the rain barrel, next to some more self seeded spiderwort.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 16:50

Comments (17)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Your Midnight in Memphis is a beauty, and the first seedling cross is too. I like seeing pictures of Sammie.

Unfortunately a black cat has decided my garden is his territory, and he jumped on Mama Cat a couple days ago. She, as is her wont, was lying amongst the daylilies. They did a nasty tear up job on Spacecoast Eye for Passion. I believe it will recover, but I am at my wits end (short journey) to figure out how to discourage the cat from trying to claim my yard.
    kay

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Debra, Love Midnight In Memphis. I also like your first JN kid. She should have some nice offsprings when she's old enough. I have some Spiderwort like yours. Mine is a pure white with the beautiful Blue Antlers. So pretty. Sammie looks like he's the boss..

Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellie - I crossed Julie Newmar Seedling #2 with Seedling Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles this morning. I have a little volunteer white with the blue anthers too. But it's just a baby. The one I posted with the lavender streaks is quite the big clump now. I don't know how it grew so fast.

Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles - I've no idea why the sepals are ruffling. It never did that last year.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - a cat fight in the daylilies while they're in bloom is not a good thing. I wonder why the black cat decided to conquer your territory. Don't you have multiple cats, too?

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Debra, love the cats and the daylilies. Kay, so sorry about the cat war tearing up the daylilies.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like the first seedling regardless of the teeth potential. I also am drawn to the Manning seedling. Why do you think it was rejected for introduction? I always wonder what criteria are decisive.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I like both of your Julie Newmar seedlings and your intro is a beauty. You probably gave the stats on it earlier, but I missed them.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Manning, like Bill Maryott, wants his intros very round. This one has petals too long for him, low bud count (7-9 per scape) and only top branching.I don't think it reblooms either, and Fred likes to introduce only rebloomers. He used it for hybridizing before he sold it and kept some similar looking siblings that had better bud count. I bought it because of the genetics. All of the parents involved are great, and I intend to cross it with cultivars like Ruby Lipstick and Bullfrog Kisses that have good branching and bud count.

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Your seedlings are beautiful. I like the second one best, I like both the form and the colors. The FM seedling is a beauty! Marg

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

MIDNIGHT IN MEMHIS is a beauty,so is Columbus.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val - Here are the stats:

Midnight in Memphis (Zimmerman, 2012)
    height 28in (71cm), bloom 5in (12.5cm), season EE, Evergreen, Tetraploid, 18-23 buds,3- 4 branches, Dark red purple bloom with bright green throat. (Evening Enchantment ÃÂ Gilded Knight)

Here's a photo I took the other day after the rain late in the morning. The sun does bring out the red tones.

A neighbor stopped by with her dog tonight and wanted to know what the flowers were. (She had no idea they were daylilies). She especially wanted to know the names of two: Arctic Lace and Midnight In Memphis. I was pretty flattered that she liked my baby as much as Arctic Lace. Of course, I offered her the bonuses I had soaking that I have no place to plant.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I really like your seedlings! Nice to see some photos of your cats too this year. We occasionally get visits from neighboring cats & one of my cats is very territorial. Unfortunately, not a good fighter. Pretty color on that spiderwort. I have a couple of different hybrid spiderworts that didn't reseed for several years, but I've seen seedlings last year & this year. One is rather pretty, most revert to the blue which I think is pretty.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Great cats and stunning seedlings, your intro Midnight in Memphis is gorgeous.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - My spiderworts came from the hybrid Bilberry Ice. Most of mine are the blue lavender ones too.

Linda - Thanks for nice comments!

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Beautiful cats and beautiful seedlings. Your volunteer spiderwort is one that's very well-behaved here.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I was wondering when you would post pics of your cats. :-).

Much success with your seedlings. You've got some nice blooms to show for all your hard work.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Julia and Chris!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus