Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A somewhat soggy Sunday of blooms (photos)

shive
11 years ago

We had a bit of rain early this morning, so I slept in and took pictures at about 10. Most of the blooms were covered with raindrops, and some had waterspotted.

KENTUCKY LUCKY, a late bloomer by John Rice, had its ffo today.

WARRIOR VICTORIOUS, an EM bloomer, also had its ffo. It's strange because most daylilies bloomed 2-3 weeks early, but some, like this one, are pretty much on schedule.

FABERGE EASTER - I planted this one after it had already put up a scape, and most of the blooms have been small and splotchy. This is the first good one.

WILD RED HEART

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH has more buds and bigger blooms than I've seen in the past.

ORCHID ELEGANCE and WINTER TREASURE in the blue and white bed are among my top performers this season.

Here's a look at WONDER OF IT ALL with the other side of the ORCHID ELEGANCE clump.

And down below, WONDER OF IT ALL with CERULEAN WARBLER.

SUGAR MAGNOLIA, looking more vibrant than usual

VENUS'S FIRE, which always looks vibrant!

BLUSH OF EMERALD

Blue Stocking monarda

BUNNY EARS - I always thought this was FAD GADGET, since that's what the tag said. I bought FG and BE from Judy Davisson the same fall. The one labeled Bunny Ears died. Several people told me they didn't think this was Fad Gadget because of the color, and I wondered why the flowers and scapes were so much smaller than they were supposed to be, even after I thinned Westerbourne Good Old Days so it could get more sun. So, since the flower size, scape height and bloom time match Bunny Ears, I've decided that's what it is.

Debra

Comments (17)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Bunny Ears is pretty. I always love clumps, and Wild Red Heart and Sugar Magnolia are very pretty. But Faberge Easter is really beautiful. that is my pick, and I may have to add that one to my garden.
    kay

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I like Wild Red Heart best here, though they are all nice.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Love the clump of ORCHID ELEGANCE in both pictures. It is my favorite! Really like KENTUCKY LUCKY also and late bloomers are always a good addition to the garden.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Hasrd to pick favorites from your pictures because every one of them looks fabulous. I do think Kentucky Lucky is very elegant looking and like the green cast on Blush of Emerald, but those clump pictures of Orchid Elegance blow me away.
    Val

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

I enjoyed the trip through your garden starting with that great clump of Orchid Elegance and Winter Treasure and ending with Cerulean Warbler. Made me contemplate how we could get video onto this forum!!!
    Christine

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, They are all just gorgeous, but, my very faavorite bloom is WONDER OF IT ALL.its so beautiful, just have to make it number one, but my second choice is FABERGE EASTER., just beautiful blooms today.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay and Jean - I think once Faberge Easter settles in, it will be a real stunner. It has clearer colors and fancier edge than a lot of the other applique cultivars.

Christine, Val and Rita - Orchid Elegance has put on a wonderful clump show for the past week, and it has several rebloom scapes on the way. I think it looks nice with either of the near whites.

Lisa - Wild Red Heart is one of my favorites. It used to have a lot more buds, but it gets shaded out by its neighbors now.

Rita and Val - I like the peach look of Kentucky Lucky. The photo on the Rice's website made it look more yellow. In its first season to bloom, it has short scapes. I look forward to it being a lot taller and better budded in future years.

Jean - The flowers that DO open on Wonder of It All are truly wonderful. It's a nice clump now, but there are always more flowers that don't open, than do. I think it needs to be where it gets all day sun for all the blooms to open. The corner of the clump gets early morning sun, and those blooms alway open right up. The part that doesn't get sun until 9 a.m. has the most flowers that hang up.

Debra

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Wonder Of It All & Orchid Elegance really got my attention. What a nice photo and they look really great together. I also like Warrior Victorious. Very beautiful. Speaking of soggy, I can barely walk in my garden it's so muddy. I am not complaining though as we needed the rain badly...Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie - I bet you have gotten barrels of rain this weekend. Don't get stuck in all that mud. I bet all this rain will give you tons of rebloom!

Debra

• Nancy
    11 years ago

That is one beautiful clump of Orchid Elegance, my very favorite photo here. Wonder of it All is really big, isn't it, very impressive. I like the look of Faberge easter, very unique & lovely. Wild Red Heart is another one that really catches my eye, but your daylilies are all so lovely, hard to pick a fav.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I wish we'd see raindrops on flowers here. One of the ugliest beginnings to a season in my memory. Small, stunted flowers from excessive heat and then cold nights.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

What a great collection of beauties. Wonder of It All just looks marvelous, and I also found that bloom of Kentucky Lucky to be especially pretty. My favorite group photo is of Winter Wonder and Orchid Elegance. So enabling....Maryl

• houstmag
    11 years ago

All are looking good with their coats of raindrops, my favorite is Kentucky Lucky.
    Linda

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Your group pictures are awesome! Wild Red Heart is an eye catcher, I do like that one.
    Cindy

• sann777
    11 years ago

I love all your pictures, especiaLLY the clump shots. That one of Orchid Elegance and Winter Treasure is very pretty. That pic of WOIA is great. Thanks for posting. Sarah

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

WILD RED HEART is so pretty. KENTUCKY LUCKY I just got this spring from Annette. Your pic reminds me alot of a shorter version of Curt's TEMPORARY AND ETERNAL. We shall see what it looks like here when it blooms.
    ORCHID ELEGANCE looks great with WINTER TREASURE.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mantis - Good to see your post, but sorry to hear about how your weather has affected your plants. Mother Nature has thrown us all some curves this year.

Julia - I'm very happy with the way Kentucky Lucky opened, but it's still cool here. It may look a lot different when things go back to our usual 90-degree summer temps.

Debra