Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Sweet Sunday Pinks and More

shive
10 years ago

Suddenly the early bloomers have exploded with color in my garden. Not that I'm anywhere near peak. Four of my gardens don't have any daylilies blooming yet. It's just that yesterday there were a dozen blooming and today there around 50. My favorites today were the pinks. And for some reason, my near whites were showing a lot more pink tones than usual.

ONCE UPON A DREAM had a perfect ffo

Here's a closeup of the pinching in the throat from later in the morning when it had taken on some more orange tones.

The giant near white QUEEN OF NARNIA on ffo

REGAL FANTASY, a favorite purple of mine, also on ffo

LILLIAN'S JINGER BRED with ruffles to spare

JITTERBUG BLUES

ALL AMERICAN CHIEF with five first flowers open

DANCING SUMMERBIRD

BELLA SERA

NATALIE ANTOINETTE ffo

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS with even better throat pinching today

What's better than one PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL? Four or five. There were actually five, but it wasn't close enough to the other four.

Debra

Comments (22)

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Sweet pinks indeed all are lovely.
    Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

PSM is really doing a great job this year.
    Perhaps the added benefit of alot of rain versus extensive periods of heat is causing the pinkish tones?

Love all the pics.

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

All of the pinks are nice, but I'm most drawn to Regal Fantasy and Integrated Logistics, which is showing great pinching. It usually takes mine three or four blooms before it pinches.

I'm going to look up Queen of Narnia. If it's another Trimmer near-white, I'm going to stop looking them up.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Really like your pinks. You enabled me on Natalie Antoinette last year, but wouldn't you know it, I had my first attack of rust and NA was so badly infected (and infectious) that I had to pitch it before it even bloomed. I'll enjoy yours from now on. It's so pretty.....I love fancy edges and Once Upon a Dream is right up my alley. Lillian's Jinger Bread (an odd name for a pink) is such a soft femine pink. Really nice. And even though it's not pink Patricia Snyder Memorial always catches my eye....What an attractive group you have here. Looking forward to your big flush.......Maryl

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Not a Trimmer! Your photo looks so different than the one you posted on Tinker's. Is this the first year it's had that gold edge?

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I really like that bright clump of all amer. chief, and the next summer dancing bird is very nice!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I think a Petit near white is just about as bad as a Trimmer near white as far as hardiness. I've had Queen of Narnia three years. This is the first time I've ever seen the pink tones. I had the gold edge last year too. It has indeed changed a lot since I posted photos of a new plant on Tinker's. I have issues with it, and have almost sold it several times. My issues are it has scapes that are too short for that giant big flower and it multiplies slowly.

As for Regal Fantasy, I initially lost it one winter in a pot. So I would question its hardiness farther north. When the temperature is right, it's as true a purple as you'll find in the daylily world. And, it's got that applique eye!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Debra. Regal Fantasy is my favorite, but I love all American Chief and Integrated Logistics. Patricia Snider memorial is a beauty!
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - Your weather explanation might account for the pink tones in the near whites.

Maryl - I'm so sorry Natalie Antoinette didn't work out for you. I truly love that one. I think the name Lillian's Jinger Bred refers not to the color, but to the ornate ruffled edges being like the white icing on gingerbread houses.

Dean - All American Chief is a beacon in the garden, and I love the extreme spooning of Dancing Summerbird.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I was just ready to put Queen of Narnia on my wish list, but then read your additional comments. Short scapes and big flowers are not my taste. Like the coral tones in Once Upon a Dream.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

So many pretty pinks, but my favorites today are All American Chief with its beautiful clear red color and Integrated Logistics.
    Val

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Chris, I didn't get your e-mail. You can click on my name here if you lost the address.

The pic of Integrated Logistics makes me think I might like pinched throats.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Debra, I'm so impressed with every daylily you've displayed here. They are all so perfect. I'll have to vote for all of them!

Nancy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional info on Queen of Narnia. I love the big flowers, but not on short scapes. And I have enough plants that are too slow to increase, so I guess I don't need another one.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms and beautiful colors. I go for ALL AMERICAN CHIEF as my favorite.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - You always love the reds so much. All American Chief really held its color today in the sunshine and muggy air,

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW Debra, the pinks are very pretty, but, I love that red American chief.its gorgeous, that last photo is gorgeous, too.

jean

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

Super pics! I love them all, but something about Dancing Summer Bird I love more :) Thanks for sharing!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

darobi - Dancing Summer Bird is a very unique daylily. There aren't many with that shape.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra for the explanation on Lilian's Jinger Bred. Makes perfect sense once you get past the spelling. I like it alot. Would you call it a true pink in the same tone as say Shores of Time or is it more peachy pink?....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Lillian's Jinger Bred is definitely a true pink. I don't see any peachy tones here.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All beautiful! My favorite is the first one, Once Upon A Dream. Looove the edge! Both pics of it are gorgeous