Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Well, I tried

marricgardens
10 years ago

A while ago I went out to do some garden work. We are getting strong winds but at least no rain. I cleaned up one area and moved on to the next. Then I saw that lemon balm had crept in and was smothering my daylily. I started to pull out the lemon balm and then saw some straw. Since I have been mulching with it I thought it had just blown in. When I reached in to pull it out, I saw what it was hiding.
{{gwi:757054}}
I don't know what kind of bird left these but now moving that daylily is out of the question! Also while I was out there I did manage to take some more pictures.

This is an old historic iris called Cardinal.

{{gwi:786066}}

This is Gypsy Romance.

{{gwi:786068}}

Marg

Comments (8)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like Gypsy Romance a lot. Evidently, someone else did also, as one day I discovered that it and several other plants had been dug up.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Love the nest. The eggs look interesting and in your area I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what nest on the ground. I like GR. Like Mantis, I came home from work one time and found all my Delphi and Lupine had been dug. Also, one time I found several of my daylilies sitting outside the row. I figured someone spooked the thief or they just missed those when they loaded up. That's what happens when you are isolated.. Ellie

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Those eggs look interesting. I know nothing about birds, didn't even know they could nest on the ground, but hope everything is going to work out for that bird.

OMG, I can't believe somebody would steal plants! What a shame :( They could just ask!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They resemble crow eggs, but I have no idea what they are. I would certainly leave them be. the iris are beautiful. Gypsy romance is a favorite.
    kay

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do have a lot of ground nesters here. House Sparrows are the likely parents, they have nested in Jack Frost Brunnera before. Between them and the killdeer, it's hard to get into the garden because of the nests! Mostly they nest in or near plants because the foliage hides the nests from predators like crows, ravens or hawks. I can't imagine anyone stealing plants here, maybe its because we're in the country. Marg

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

Oh Ellie, you don't have to be isolated to have plants disappear. About 2 weeks after a good friend was buried, someone came in the night and dug up a lot of her tree peonies. This was in a nice residential district.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Your iris are beautiful especially Gypsy Romance. It will be interesting to see if the eggs hatch. Keep us posted.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I was cleaning out my iris bed a few weeks ago & tossed out a soft mass of leaves. Hit me after I tossed it, it felt very compact. Looked again & it was a nest of newly hatched baby birds. I felt so bad. I put the nest back where it was the best I could. The birds were gone later that day. I have a couple of elderly cats that hardly move by the back door, but the neighbors have cats too. Not a great place to nest, but I felt really bad about it.
    Love Gypsy Romance! One of my favorite irises, I moved mine last year & it refused to bloom this year.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals