Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Sunday Shockers, Soothers, and Scintillating Beauties

shive
10 years ago

I've got a wide variety for you on this perfect weather day. It's cool here, which doesn't happen very often at the end of June.

SPACECOAST OJO ROJO had its best bloom today. I've been pleased with this daylily in its second season here.

BUTTER PECAN ffo

BLUSHED WITH EMERALD - I noticed this one has two rebloom scapes on the way

My Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino seeding was open perfectly this morning. The bloom at least is an improvement on both parents. It's larger than SOT and doesn't suffer the splotchiness that RR can have. I think it looks like a cheerful valentine.

CRIMSON EDGINGS

COLORADO MOON FIRE is reblooming. The first set of scapes were decimated by a series of aggressive insects, so I'm delighted by the five rebloom scapes.

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE from last night

GENIE IN A BOTTLE

MICHAEL DAVISSON showing more of an applique pattern in cooler temps

And now the master of disguise, TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC. Here's the early morning photo.

Here's its photo from late in the afternoon. It gets darker and darker throughout the day until the petal color matches the eye.

CERISE BEAUTY

HAPPY CHARMER

I end my post with WILLOW DEAN SMITH, one of the nicest clumps in the garden: lovely foliage, tall, well-branched scapes, and a beauty of a bloom too!

Debra

Comments (21)

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Now it's your garden's time to shine and shine it does! My favorites arre HAPPY CHARMER, CRIMSON EDGINGS, the exquisite colors of MICHAEL DAVISSON, CERISE BEAUTY and WILLOW DEAN SMITH. Geez, have I left anything out? Of course, I think your seedling is a winner by a mile.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Wow, you have some beauties today, and, as you said, a nice variety. Love Spacecoast Ojo Rojo. Also, Allegheny Skyline. Teddy Bear's Picnic color change is impressive. Bitones always impress me, and yours is a beauty. But Willow Dean Smith is my pick. What a beautiful bloom!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I love the early morning version of TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC but not the later version. Wow, what a difference. Can't even tell it is the same daylily. HAPPY CHARMER and CERISE BEAUTY tie for my favorites.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy -Thanks for your sweet comment about the seedling!

Kay and Rita - Presto Chango on Teddy Bear. The difference is dramatic. It's true that you can't tell it's the same daylily. I don't care for the morning look, and if it weren't so unique and such a chameleon, I probably would have put it on the Lily Auction.

Debra

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

All of the Spacecoast cultivars we have are doing great, and look even better. Too bad that the Kinnebrews are no
    longer in the business.

Someone is allegedly taking over for them, but nobody here in Florida seems to know how that will work out.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

The more I see Teddy Bear's Picnic the more I like it. I really don't mind the fact that it changes color a bit. My other favorites are BLUSHED WITH EMERALD, WILLOW DEAN SMITH & HAPPY CHARMER. Your seedling is lovely. Marg

• Nancy
    10 years ago

What a lovely variety! I think my favorite is your My Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino seeding, just perfect coloring. CRIMSON EDGINGS, CERISE BEAUTY, & HAPPY CHARMER are really calling to me today.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faraway - I heard Jamie Gossard bought the Kinnebrew's stock. I guess he will be moving most of it to Ohio, Unless he is planning to move to Florida, or be in Florida for part of the year, so he can get faster increase on his stuff.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I'm happy to see a few in your garden that are fairly new to me -- Allegheny Skyline, which didn't bloom last year because of the drought, and Willow Dean Smith. Michael Davisson and Cerise Beauty are both gorgeous. And your seedling is looking outstanding. Sign me up.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Really like Crimson Edgings, need to get that one to go with other edged-no eye daylilies here. New to me and loving them is Allegheny Skyline, Genie In A Bottle, Happy Charmer. And then, there is the incomparable Willow Dean Smith, totally gorgeous. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Happy Charmer is a charmer.:-).
    Julia

• User
    10 years ago

Great variety! I love your My Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino. The white ruffled edge just makes it perfect. Very nice. Another favorite of mine is Michael Davisson. I do love the purple ones...

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, Chris, and Hosta Buff - Thanks for the seedling love!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Yes, exciting to see Allegheny Skyline, but Curt has it pictured as rose, whereas yours is more lavender. He calls it "cashmere rose." Ojo Rojo is very flamboyant!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

debra, you really got some beauties, today. BLUSHED WITH EMERALD - is a beauty. love that one.Love your seedling too.CRIMSON EDGINGS is a beauty. love that edge.i think ALLEGHENY SKYLINE is my favorite one, course, am crazy about the last one, too.and about to forget
    TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC.. its a real beauty.HAPPY CHARMER is a beauty, too. just too many beauties in one place here

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - I think Allegheny Skyline is a blend of lavender of rose. It starts out in the morning looking more pink and ends the day looking more lavender. I also think it varies by temperature. Here's a photo I took about 11 a.m. when skies were overcast. In any case, I really love it. By the way, the petals on mine don't recurve like Curt says it does, and I hope they don't start recurving.

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

The titles in your headers are real page turners and never fail to delight. My two favorites are your seedling and Cerise Beauty. I like the idea on your seedling that it has larger flowers then SOT. SOT's 5 inches is certainly acceptable, but sometimes more is better. Do you have any registration plans for it or is too new to judge year round performance?............Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - I'm glad you like the titles! The seedling is too new to judge. It has the face of an angel, but in its first year to bloom, it only has a bud count of 10-12. I'm hoping that will improve a lot next year. It really takes three years to fully evaluate a seedling and decide if it's worthy of registration. And then there's the question of increase.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Well, that's interesting. I don't hybridize so don't know all the considerations that go into the introduction of a new plant. From some of the not so great ones I've had in the past I just thought it was a pretty picture taken at sunrise (pardon the sarcasm). Nice to know there are other standards. So 3 years is the evaluation time. I hope you keep us up to date if this one passes muster for you. It really looks/sounds promising to me....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - There really is a lot that goes into registering a seedling and then selling your intro. One of the main factors is how well it responds to being divided and lined out, once a hybridizer is certain it has stats good enough to register.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

butter pecan very nice! the name just seems to fit. yum