Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Today's Blooms 062314

gonegardening
9 years ago

Waiting...waiting...waiting...on the new camera body. I guess I have until midnight before I can complain...ha.

Anyhow, I did find a few pictures today that didn't bother me too much. Starting off with the very large Phoenix Flying which is taller and has more buds (yay) this year:

Ready for its close up, Phoenix Flying:

A beautiful double, like porcelain...Aubrey Johnson:

Ringo's Star:

I used to think I didn't like brown flowers, but, strangely, they are growing on me...Brown Exotica:

The legendary Little Gold Nugget:

Flamingo Flambeau:

I just thought this one was pretty today, Susan Pritchard Petit:

Up in the sky...old but still interesting, Cerulean Star:

Forever Redeemed joined the party today...reminding me that I meant to move it...

****Bonus....yesterday was a rainy morning....naturally, I was completely convinced that some of the daylilies chose that day to have great blooms...so, here's a few rainy ones:

Float Like a Butterfly:

And because I'm just that way (grin), I thought I saw some comments about Wild Cherry Wine....just to get you guys ready for it (a really pretty pink):

Bali Watercolor:

Rose to the Occasion (which was spectacular last year....bloomed and bloomed....of course, I moved it, ha)

Closing with Rolling Raven:

In perspective in the garden:

Until tomorrow...

Comments (8)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Rolling Raven is a standout in the garden. Susan Petit is ornately beautiful; if only it were a bit taller. Aubrey Johnson never did anything here. Phoenix Flying really has flair, but alas, not I suspect for here.

• shive
    9 years ago

Forever Redeemed and Rolling Raven are the two that most captivate me. I love the saturated colors and shape of FR, and Rolling Raven is just the darkest blue purple color. Flamingo Flambeau and Rose to the Occasion look very distinctive too.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Where to begin? Phoenix Flying is my favorite. I'm looking up that one, Tied for second are Flamingo Flambeau and Float Like a Butterfly. Forever Redeemed is such a standout. Mine didn't bloom last year and I meant to move mine, too, but completely forgot. It's worth finding another spot for that one. Cerulean Star is so ethereal. I only got two or three blooms off that one when I grew it, but I love the flower.

And yes, I was one of the ones talking about Wild Cherry Wine, and am hoping to see blooms this year. Kay was kind enough to send me a fan of Salty Skipper because my quest for Bennett lilies was going nowhere.

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RR is nice, but, for me, Wild and Free is a much better performer. Just saying, if I was forced to choose, ha. I'm probably not retaining SPP but am just trying to enjoy its blooms this year. Sorry AJ didn't work for you. It's not as great, for me, as other Joiner doubles, but it's doggone pretty. PF is having its best year so far. Last year I wondered why it was still taking up space. It's hard to be patient. I'm sure many have left here that soar for others.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Wild cherry wine is a favorite, but I really like Flamenco Flambeau as well. Many beauties today. I love Forever Redeemed and Phoenix Flying is gorgeous!
    kay

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, my bad. How did I work that magic to post twice??

Thanks, you guys. I must have missed your comments while I was busy yakking.

I don't recall seeing a price list from Mr. Bennett this year. But, then, I haven't really paid attention plus....he's rather senior (how else to say that?). He would line out a few, offer them at very reasonable prices...and when they sold out, they'd be gone. I have a few others of his. I'll email you more about this, Chris.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by gonegardening on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 17:32

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Liking your Picture of Ringo's Star. The form to me is different from what usually appeals to me but so symmetrical that I can't help but like it. Love the color on Cerulean Star too. My favorite is the double though, Susan P. Petit. Lovely combination of colors and nice fluffy form.......Maryl

• deangreen
    9 years ago

That aubrey Johnson is a really great plant, I saw it years ago out in hot west Oklahoma growing with great big blooms. nice!