maximus7116
11 years ago

First the daylily picks of the day:

ARCTIC LACE made me feel cooler just looking at it today:

THE GOLDILOCKS EFFECT, a nice polychrome addition to the garden:

SIAMESE ROYALTY:

MOKAN BUTTERFLY:

PETTICOAT FRILLS (please ignore all the weeds):

ATLAS SHRUGGED had its FFO today. The white leaves in the background show you how bad the powdery mildew has affected the garden phlox is this year:

A nice mini bouquet of WISPY RAYS:

The only container I have that's thriving this year (probably because I got a self-watering window box):

My homely tomcat garden helper, Bosco:

And an imperial moth, the first one I've ever seen. My finger shows how big he was, and his head was enormous:

Hope you're all managing to stay cool in this sweltering heat -- Chris

Comments (13)

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Wispy Rays, on your recommendation, is doing well here too. The moth certainly is color coordinated for your decor. Bosco looks like a big boy; look at those thighs. Am still waiting here for Atlas Shrugged to bloom (it's an early for you?).

• shive
    11 years ago

Arctic Lace is so pretty, and it does have a cooling effect. I also like Atlas Shrugged. Is that an extra large bloom? Your container looks great! The self-watering system must be working for you. I've never seen a giant moth like that. Neat colors! I think you really captured Bosco's personality in that photo. Is he licking something off his lip, or does he just want a treat from you?

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

pretty blooms. I especially like ARTIC LACE AND PETTICOAT FRILLS.. love your window box. I use the self watering pots for some christmas cactus I have.I have them in a utility room that is windows down on e sideand I forget to water them,and ont is too big for me to move it very far anyway,and I put it back there for the winter,and left it there.BOSCO is looking a little rough, like hes been in a fight or hes not tolerating the heat very well. hes very pretty.

jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

OH, I had to sacroll down right away to see what the strange vistor was as I was so curious. I have never seen a moth that looks like that. But it is quite pretty.

Bosco looks like a very capable garden helper, like a tuff guy. He is not goping to take any guff from anyone invading his garden LOL! And I like the pretty planter.

Now to go back and look at all your lovely daylily blooms today. Great shot of WISPY RAYS, it looks like it is glowing. So vivid. I love the color on THE GOLDILOCKS EFFECT and it ties for me for favorite with SIAMESE ROYALTY.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Love the Tough Guy cat! And that is one bodacious moth. Beautiful blooms. Wispy Rays is my favorite.
    kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. Yes, Bosco is a tough guy. His ear is permanently flopped over from a hematoma surgery he had about six months ago, but we like the way it makes him look. He must have just eaten a bug in this pic.

Atlas Shrugged is a big flower, and it is blooming right on schedule here.

• sann777
    11 years ago

Love the cat. He and my Mickey Blue Eyes could really mix it up I bet. I love your pic of Wispy Rays, but Artic Lace is my favorite. Sarah

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Huge moth! @_@

I love ARCTIC LACE and THE GOLDILOCKS EFFECT. (My ARCTIC LACE doesn't look like it is going to bloom this year, wah.) I love polychromes in general - I'll have to find out more about that daylily.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Arctic Lace looks great. I too like The Goldilocks Effect.
    The name Bosco reminds me of the syrup we put in milk when I was a kid. Orange Tabby's are tough guys.LOL
    I've never seen a moth like that.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sarah, did you post a pic of your cat? If so, I might have missed him.

Julia and Poly, TGE was just planted last year so I can't tell you about its performance, but I do like the bloom. And yes, my son named the cat after the chocolate syrup. We've had lots of animals with food names here.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Wispy Rays is looking stunning and is my favorite. I agree with some of the others Bosco looks like a good defender of your garden.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

My favorites are The Goldilocks Effect and Wispy Rays. Bosco looks like he heard you call him homely and he didn't like it! Either that or he just caught a snack.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I love Bosco just the way he is...the ear flopped over gives him character. (There is a breed, the Scottish Fold where the folded over ear is desirable). And I love ginger cats. My favorite after Bosco is Arctic Lace. I have seen so many photos of it and never tire of it. It just always looks perfect and the name suits it.

Celeste