Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deangreen

more June Garden photos, keep the under 100 weather coming, June!

deangreen
10 years ago

These first two are another photo of Grandfather Time (Wild 1966) which I plan to hybridize with some things for its height and color. I like the hybridizing strategy of mixing old with new etc

Does anyone else keep that in mind? or are you pretty on pretty or straight up plant habit??

although I know it's all about bud count these days right? ha next one is Pink Stripes (Derrow '06) which I like in the garden only as an interesting specimen plant, I don't plan to cross it with anything because with my faulty/sometimes nonexistent record keeping, I'd lose it in the bloodline and don't want it mixed in, if that makes sense, although now I'm thinking maybe it'd look good on a double flower.... hmmmm ... nah, one must refine goals.

the first one above is another double cross which I thought had a nice blend of fiery colors. The next one is another S. Rhinestone cross, I like how the watermark is carried along in this one faintly as if that part is a brighter red. Can't beat how it kept the nice form. nothing new, but it's mine....

volunteer sunflower I let grow.... I reached way above my head with the camera this morning to see if I could get a shot from above. yup!

a few spiders, something I swore I'd never grow alas.... Midnight Barbara Blossum (R. Anderson '11) and Noelani (Mahieu/Burris '07). first time blooming in the yard this summer. I am really happy that Noelani has a redder look than in other photos I've seen online. ha

two more seedlings above here, the first one just so big and one of my first crosses from '03 or so I like the way it's stretching out of the shadow of the amsonia... and the next one, I don't usually post the ugly muddy ones but just thought I'd share the way this one has a sort of veining effect. Note to self - I still want Mapping Carolina! :P

--yes I went up on the roof for this photo, the cloudy day sunlight seemed just right to get a shot of the North bed. ha

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pretty blooms, pretty garden bed. 100 degree weather would be too much for me, too hot!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I love big flowers, so I really like that first pink seedling, & I like the veining of the other seedling too. Each year I say I'm gonna be better about selecting just which plants to cross & go more for bud count. But then I go crazy & can't stop myself, I think this combo would be wild, but hey, could be nice. And I cross old ones that I like (& a Iike a lot of them!) & new ones. I end up with tons of seeds, plant them all, & keep a huge bunch of them. At least for now. Good thing I've got lots of space!

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I like the garden shot. My favorite it the S. Rhinestone kid. Very pretty color and I love watermarks. I cross new to old, pretty face to good plant habit or whatever I think will be an interesting cross. I do focus on performance and I'm trying to get late bloomers although at this time of year I wish I'd focused on extra earlies.
    Val

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Striped one looks interesting, I also like the 2nd spider - big and bright, and my favorite is S.Rhinestone cross.
    To all: What would you call that color?

Sunflower looks just like a little sun :)
    And I like the garden shot. Like the idea too, and wish we had a second floor, because I'm certainly not going up on that roof ;)

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Love the garden shot and the sunflower too. I like Pink Stripes. I wonder what happened to the breeder. he used to be a regular on here!!
    Ellie

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

lOve your garden shot, and thet big sunflower too. I love sunflowers,I use to plant a bunch of them every year and squirreols would climb them like trees and breal them.never got to injoy them.

jean

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Your last seedling that you called muddy .... I clicked on it to enlarge and gasped at its beauty!

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Lovely seedlings my favorite is the SP Rhinestone seedling.
    Linda