Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's Sunday Seedlings

shive
10 years ago

I've been anxiously awaiting the opening of this seedling because it has such nice branching and bud count. The cross is Neptune's Legacy X Delta Blues. I was thrilled to see the eye had some blue in it. Unfortunately my camera didn't see it the way I did. Two cameras later, this is the closest I can come to capturing the eye, which has a wash of navy blue, purple, and raspberry. The bloom is in the 4-inch range.

This is the third of the near whites out of Dust Be Diamonds X Tuxedo Junction. It is a very light yellow polychrome with peach and pink highlights. It's also the only one of the three that is diamond dusted. I've been unable to really capture this one in my photos. It's much prettier than the picture.

Here is the extra early sib. Both of these blooms are on the same plant, but on different scapes. It's interesting how different two flowers in the same clump can be. The scape on the right gets more sun, and probably more water, that the other.

Here's a clump shot of the Sun Bear X Julie Newmar babies.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 16:27

Comments (15)

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Your first seedling photo is my kind of daylily love the color and I'm a big fan of small flowers.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

oh all those tones together look wonderful!!! on the first photo. nice work and nice form too btw. :)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

All of the seedlings are lovely, but the first one is my choice.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda - I know you love the blue eyes and the patterns. I put the seedling's pollen on Aztec Headdress and Witch Stitchery and am hoping this seedling will produce some nice patterns.

Dean - Thanks for noticing the ultra round form. That's something I like about the first seedling.

Kay - Thanks for commenting!

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What is the size on the second seedling (diamond-dusted one)?

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

The first one sure seems to have everything going for it--color,form,eye, green throat along with branching and budcount. Great job.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - The diamond dusted light yellow polychrome has a bloom of about 6 inches on a 22 inch scape right now. But it is smothered in the seedling bed and doesn't get much sun. I'm going to be moving it to a new bed I'm working. I think with full sun, the scape height and bloom size will grow.

Val - The first one will likely be bridge plant. After a little while in the sun the petal's tan undertone comes out, and the eye looks more purple than blue. Here's a straight-on shot that shows how round it is. The others might be introduced in future years.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, darn, I had a post all done and it disappeared, so start over, but, shorter version. I love that first one, its so pretty and round. also was asking in the one that suddenly flew away on me, are the peddles suppose to be pinched like that? are you trying to get them pinched? love that whie one too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Very pretty.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - I lost a lengthy post yesterday, so I know the frustration. When you're talking about pinched petals, are you referring to the Sun Bear seedling? I like it when large flowers have their petals pinch. That makes it a unusual form crispate, and I like those.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rita! You must be busy with your tomatoes and roses. We haven't see you posting much lately.

Debra

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Debra, that baby should make a good bridge. The eye probably will be prominent since it's so dark. I like the DBDxTJ cross. Both of them but the second one is my favorite. Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellie - I think the second DBD X TJ is the prettiest of the three, but I like all three. I never expected to get near whites from that cross. It was a pleasant surprise.

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I like the first seedling. Does it have a fine gold edge? Love the form of it too. The Julie Newmar babies clump is a winner with me to. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marg! The first seedling does have a wire gold edge.

Debra

Sponsored
CM Hardscapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
We always deliver a quality product