Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Focus on Whites

Nancy Barginear
10 years ago

I so want to share with forum members photos of our lovely near-white daylilies, and especially our seedling. I am posting the pictures here at the forum, but if you want to know more about our thoughts on them, please visit our album at Photobucket.

Photobucket Album Link (please click on "View All"):

Nancy

Comments (16)

• shive
    10 years ago

Those are some gorgeous whites! Congratulations on your near white seedling! It is a beautiful angel. I enjoyed reading your comments about each daylily. Which of the registered ones is your best performer? And which do you think has the most beautiful bloom? I think Voila Francois is the prettiest of these photos.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I too enjoyed your comments on the daylilies Your seedling is quite lovely.

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Oh I love that Presidentt Ronald Reagan. would love to have that one. very pretty.you have lots of beauties.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The first several look very similar in pictures. How would you compare plant habit and performance? We already know that Michael Miller can sometimes be difficult in colder climates. My Knights in White Satin has been very slow. Voila Francois may need a new location.

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, except for Quality of Mercy, the rest were somewhat slow at the beginning to bloom much or increase. Arctic Lace has been very slow - Knights in White Satin has been steadily coming along more and more each year. Voila Francois surprised me by really taking off on the second year of growth.

Our new Michael Miller is really loving it in its big tub we got at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I have been really babying it. I think it must like not having to compete. The bloom today was much smaller as it is due to go up to 103 today - grass is suddenly turning brown, daylilies look awful, my huge potted poinsettia has drooped terribly, only my few okra plants seem to like this extremely hot weather.

We are in desperate need of rain. A mild tropical depression would be very helpful. I think I have seen the last of any pretty blooms on our daylilies. Just in the last couple of days, I've gone from photographing over 100 seedlings or more per day down to 16 today - and they don't look really good. It feels like I'm in Phoenix or Las Vegas when I go outside.

Oh, and I goofed on my Photobucket description of Platinum and Gold. Thanks to Kay, I hurried and corrected what I said about it at Photobucket. I meant all good things about it. My DH was rushing me in the middle of my battle with Photobucket uploads.

Nancy

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Those are truely beautiful. Especially Viola Francois.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Gorgeous whites! My favorites are President Ronald Reagan and Voila Francois - great picture.
    And I like the idea of featuring one color daylilies in a post.

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, nat4b - I'm hard at work on pink daylilies post next.

Nancy

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love Arctic Lace and Viola Francois! Very pretty :)

Tammy

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish some of you would add your whites to this post - I'd love to see garden shots of WEDDING GOWN and other lovely whites that I don't have.

Photos of whites are difficult for me, as I am the rankest of amateur photographers and haven't taken the time to read the camera manual on white balance. My seedling pictured is really very white, save for the gold edges, but my photo fails to show how really beautiful it is. Both it and President Ronald Reagan look more yellowish than they reallly are.

Nancy

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Nancy, thank you for a great post. I especially like the way you do it using Photobucket with the comments underneath. Having comments on hardiness, growth habits, color, etc. is so helpful plus we get to see the picture right there. Your seedling "Our Angel Is Heaven" is a beautiful tribute to the daughter you lost. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I love whites in the garden. President Ronald Reagan is a beautiful form. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Julia

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia, Thanks for your input!

PRR is a lovely daylily and I have two clumps of it. Thus far, I've never seen it bloom as pretty as in the picture of it as advertised. Alas, I have no ideal environment such as a greenhouse or shade cover, so that's how it looks in our garden. Also, a lot depends on the location. Some of my daylilies and seedlings thrived in the country, and aren't very happy just 40 miles away. Others did the opposite.

As I said, Michael Miller now loves it in its own big private tub and is growing fine. Neither Victorian Lace nor Ballerina on Ice liked being moved down here to the city at all. They finally adjusted this year.

We have to deal with heavy clay soil here. What a pain to try and grow stuff in it!

Nancy

• Ed
    10 years ago

Great group of whites Nancy. Good pictures too! I've admired VOILA FRANCOIS several times lately. Looks like an addition to the want list! :0)
    Pretty seedling too, hope it continues to do well for you.
    Ed

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ed, here in our garden Voila Francois is very pretty and fluffy. Puts out a lot of blooms. It isn't as large as PRR, KIWS or GW, though. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the compliment on the seedling. I've had it 4-5 years now, and it has steadily increased. It's very white with lovely gold ruffles. It was from seed I purchased. I think it was a bonus and got only the one seedling out of the cross. Presumed Innocent was the pod parent and the pollen parent was a seedling - I suspect it was out of Larry Grace, since the seedling was LG-7. Maybe? I used to have Winter Springs, but it didn't live long.

I did some white crosses in 2011 that are blooming now, but nothing remarkable turned up. Nice, but nothing special.

Nancy

• deangreen
    10 years ago

voila gets the whitest vote from me! :)