Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Friday the 13th photos

shive
9 years ago

Well, here's one Mantis requested: a clean bloom of RED EDITION. I had one better than this on Wednesday with a wider ruffly edge, but I didn't photograph that day. We've had rain every day this week, so I moved the pot with RE under the carport last night to avoid rain damage. The one drawback with this one is its lack of substance. By early afternoon on humid days, the blooms become rather droopy and limp. They hold their color though.

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:06

Comments (12)

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second bloom on HOLD YOUR HORSES

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedling Alan Lane Agin X Cosmic Sensation ffo

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CORONAL LIGHT

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BILL NORRIS clump

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oh my goodness, Debra. These are all just gorgeous. I love them all.HOLD YOUR HORSES just seems to say HEY, LOOK AT ME; so so pretty.I think I would like that one in my yard, too. its gorgeous.and that seedling is a beauty, too. and I'm not a big fan of yellows but,i love the BILL NORRIS clump, so pretty. I doo have some yellows that I really do like but generally not much for yellows.
    CORONAL LIGHT is a very pretty one, too.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

A very clean bloom, indeed! Your foliage also looks clean. I have a lot of leaf streak this year. What causes particularly bad leaf streak? We've had lots of ups and downs in the weather department. I also fertilized with some manure earlier this year. Some plants that seldom get leaf streak are affected.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

The clarity of your photos always impresses me. That's a beautiful photo of Red Edition. Too tender for my area, I'm assuming?

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Red Edition is lovely, very nice edge. Bill Norris is one daylily I wouldn't be without. I'm like Jean, not much on yellows, but Bill is so dependable, always reblooms & every bloom is perfect. Your clump of BN is lovely.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - Leaf Streak is a fungal disease. I've only seen it here after very wet spring weather. Supposedly it can be minimized by eliminating overhead waterering.

Chris - I have no idea whether Red Edition would be tender in your area. It is an evergreen. After losing so many plants last winter and having many more reduced to a fraction of their former selves, I would say plants could be "tender" anywhere.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Debra, as always your photos are lovely. That clump of Bill Norris is like a clump of sunshine. It is very cheerful. Red Edition is my favorite...red you know.
    kay

• deangreen
    9 years ago

wow I like that red one!!! and the horses one always looks wild and running. :)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

When I first started out in daylilies only the full figured gals got my attention, but after seeing ones such as your wonderful picture of Hold your Horses I find my prejudice fading away a little each year.....I've never thought of humidity causing a daylily to melt. I still have problems with Citrix holding it's substance past noon (color holds fairly well until late afternoon). Maybe that's the reason. It hasn't been all that hot here lately, but it has been humid because of the frequent showers. Hummmm......Maryl