Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Sunday's Sentimental Favorites

shive
10 years ago

On the bug front, I'm seeing almost no thrips now, but the Japanese beetles have moved from the back to the side of the house now. The good bugs - preying mantis and ladybug - are mounting an offense. Here are some blooms the bugs left alone. I'm really liking the Frank Smith cultivars today.

AMERICAN DOLL

I REMEMBER YOU

PATSY CLINE

CRAZY IVAN

VATICAN CITY

RUBY LIPSTICK

FOREVER RED

SEMINOLE WIND

INDY CHARMER

And in the seedling bed, this ffo made my heart sing. It's a Back Scratcher kid with clear lavender color, white teeth all around and a very light gray lavender watermark. It's a very large bloom too - between 7 and 8 inches.

Debra

Comments (20)

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all so pretty,but as usual my favorite is Ruby Lipstick. Your seedling tied for my favorite.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

What a beautiful seedling! You have some gorgeous babies now, Debra.
    Ruby Lipstick, Vatican city, and I Remember You are my favorites other than the seedling.

The beetles are decimating my roses.

kay

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

All your beautiful posts to view and comment on are keeping me busy...haha. But please keep them coming!
    There are always so many to love and it's always a challenge to choose favorites but I do have to say that Seminole Wind, Indy Charmer and your seedling really caught my eye. Oh, and I am definitely getting Vatican City this summer! I love the Moldovans.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like the form on that seedling. As for Frank Smith, I am still waiting for a northern gardener to post and say that any one of these is a superb performer in the North. Yours certainly are vividly lovely.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Wow, Debra, so beautiful. I REMEMBER YOU, FOREVER RED and RUBY LIPSTICK in a three way tie for my favorite bloom.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val and Kay- I'm flattered my seedling is up there with Ruby Lipstick on your favorites pick.

Mantis - Maximus is growing American Doll. Maybe she will weigh in on how it's doing for her.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 23:24

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All lovely Debra. I have Seminole Wind and Forever Red.
    JP's are one bug I hate to see each season.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Your seedling is stunning! Wow.

• sann777
    10 years ago

They are gorgeous. Vatican City looks like it might glow in the dark. Ruby Lipstick is pretty and I love Seminole Wind. Sarah

• hostabff
    10 years ago

All quite beautiful and I love your seedling. It is a beautiful shade of lavender.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely. My favorites are I REMEMBER YOU, Vatican City & your seedling.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm happy to report the seedling held its color throughout the day, and the teeth seemed to get even bigger as the day wore on.

Debra

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I'm really liking the American Doll. My color for sure. That seedling is a beauty. White teeth on lavender is beautiful and the size..., it is a nice one..The bugs are still at it here and I have scape blast. I don't know what causes that but I have it on several..
    Ellie

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Well I'm stumped I have no clear cut favorite so they all get my vote.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

These are all beauties. I like Ruby Lipstick, Indy Charmer and I Remember You the best. Runners up are Vatican City (I've been thinking of getting that one but wasn't to sure about how intense the purple was?) and Seminole Wind. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - The color on Vatican City is always very intense here, and I imagine it would be darker where you are. I was pleased to see it looking good last night in the evening garden.

Ellie - American Doll is a wonderful pink! I think the little white ric rac edge frames it beautifully.

Twixanddud and Hostabuff - Thanks for your sweet comments about the seedling!

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Your seedling -- wow! That color combined with teeth isn't something I see often.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Dan Hansen has two or three UF looking lavenders with teeth. But I don't think any of them has a watermark or such a pronounced green throat.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, what some beauties. I REMEMBER YOU is gorgeous.its my favorite in these.then VATICAN CITY for the runner up/ gorgeous

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jean! Both of those are such good purples.

Debra

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro