Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Pictures From Tuesday and Wednesday

avedon_gw
10 years ago

I have been so busy, couldn't post until now. The only new daylily for today was wiped out by a pretty good thunderstorm this morning, but I know eventually I will have many flowers of this one to show. Now for Tuesdays' blooms--

Good Impression put up 5 blooms on Tuesday. This is a pretty yellow and the color is true.

Good Impression single--the color is paler than it should be in this picture.

Fairy Tale Pink--an outstanding daylily for us. I bought this several years ago when it was being tossed by a city park--cost a couple of dollars and an excellent investment.. I didn't know the name and only found out a couple of years ago that it is Fairy Tale Pink.

Our NOID double orange--another excellent plant, but I don't know the name of this one.

Enchanting Esmerelda--this was planted last year, but did not bloom. I am happy to say it was worth the wait, I think it is lovely. The color is darker than shown here.

Enchanting Esmerelda again--it had two blooms first time out,

Yesterday, there were three new blooms, but two were so bad, I didn't want to post them. Here is the best:

Strawberry Candy--this one has quite a few scapes this year, so expecting lots of flowers.

You have seen this one before, but the picture was awful Yesterday was a much better day--

Catcher In The Eye--this one was a bonus plant last year, and still has only two fans and two scapes so I hope it picks up soon. Avedon

Comments (15)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Hope my Catcher in the Eye looks as good as yours. Does Good Impression rebloom? I'm always looking for a reblooming yellow that is softer than Happy Returns. Also like Enchanting Esmerelda, which I added last year.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Your CITE looks much better than mine did. I've tossed it but I used a lot of the pollen from it because of the appliqued eye. I have always liked Enchanting Esmeralda and yours looks great! Ellie

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Enchanting Esmerelda is my favorite. And that's a great picture of Fairy Tale Pink. I don't know what happened to mine, I don't think I have it anymore. Also Strawberry Candy looks good! I like it when it's this color, mostly it's too orange here

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

they all are very pretty, but Enchanting Esmerelda is my favorite, but I really like Catcher in the Eye and Fairy Tale Pink also.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

The Enchanting Esmerelda photos are my favorites. Good Impression does exactly what the name says.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All very nice. We too had thunderstorms and its been raining all day and looks to be like this for a couple of days.

Your NOID double looks like Peach Magnolia. Here is pics for comparison

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, I will have to get back to you on Good Impressions rebloom. I know it doesn't rebloom anywhere the way Happy Returns does. Julia, I have wondered if our orange double NOID was Peach Magnolia, but the scape height has never achieved 32" as listed by AHS nor have any of the flowers been 5.5 inches. It is a dormant diploid, but I would say the bloom season for us is early, not MLA. The thing is, growing conditions from place to place can vary greatly, so anything is possible. I would love to be able to definitely name it, but probably won't happen. Glad everybody likes E. Esmerelda, sure wish the color had come out the way it looks here, which I would describe as Raspberry Red, really striking. I appreciate all your comments and interest. Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow you have some nice beauties again. My favorite is Fairy Tale Pink but I like all of them/

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Strawberry Candy catches my eye. I've seen a clump of it in a garden and it can really put on a show. Enchanting Esmerelda is a pretty color too. Naturally I like your yellow. A nice group you've got here.....Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Fairy Tale Pink gets my vote for favorite out of a really pretty group of DL's.
    Linda

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I love Enchanting Esmerelda.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about getting busy. Seems like there is always too much to do and too little time. I choose all of the daylilies as my favorites!

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Enchanting Esmerelda.....WOW!!! I like that one. You have a lot of pretty ones and I like your neatly mulched beds. The yellow one looks a lot like another yellow NOID I have. Is yours fragrant? Mine is and I still don't know what it is. There are so many yellows.

Celeste

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, friends, for all your nice comments. Celeste, I think most of our yellows have some fragrance, but you have to stick your nose in the bloom to really know. However, those yellows we grow en masse usually produce enough fragrance to scent the air. Here is an example:

Miss Amelia

I forget how many plants we have here, maybe 24, and they are definitely fragrant just because there are so many flowers blooming at the same time.

Also Imperial Lemon--love this row of three plants and the fragrance is so sweet.

We have more yellows that haven't bloomed yet, but they include Hyperion and Lexington, two of the most fragrant. Avedon

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Oh WOW! Look at all those pretty yellow daylilies blooming at once! That is gorgeous. Thank you for showing us the extra photos. I especially like Imperial Lemon in that big grouping. Everything is so neat in your photos....never a weed and all nicely mulched. Bravo!

Celeste